Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car damaged in community centre car park?

Options
  • 23-07-2019 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm doing a back to work scheme in a community centre and the boot of my car was dented yesterday. One of the people in charge in the centre said she checked the cameras but couldn't see who was responsible. There is signs up saying 'cars parked at owners risk' and 'this community centre takes no responsibility for any loss or damage' but I'm really not happy to just leave it and forget about it. Is there anything else that I can do in this situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    You can talk to your solicitor.
    Will leave open for general discussion subject to forum rule on legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Jp1506

nuac wrote: »
    Mod
    You can talk to your solicitor.
    Will leave open for general discussion subject to forum rule on legal advice

Sorry I thought because there was a 'legal discussion' topic I could get some opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's not a lot you can do. There's no general rule that the occupier of premises is liable for any damage that occurs on the premises to anyone, or to anyone's property. You'd have to point to some duty of care owed to you that the occupier has violated. If your car was damaged because, e.g., a slate on the roof fell off and hit it, you would have a case. Or if the carpark was designed in an unsafe way that increased the risk of accident and injury, just possibly. But simply because another user of the carpark was careless, not so much.

Your first issue here is that you need to show how the damage occurred. Odds are it was another driver, but (from what's in the OP) you don't actually know that. And, having established how the damage occurred, you then need to show that the damage wouldn't have occurred if the occupier of the premises had discharged its duties to you properly. And, again, there's nothing in the OP to suggest that.

Advertisement