Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarity on DUI (Cannabis)

Options
  • 22-07-2019 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how would you know when it's safe to drive after smoking a joint?

If I have a smoke after work, am I safe the next morning? like they say 1 unit of alcohol takes 1 hour.

Please no stupid replys about cannabis being illegal, the reality is 100s of thousands of people enjoy a spliff after work. I'd like to continue to enjoy my joint in the evening to wind down, but getting worried with the amount of checkpoints around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

So said calming spliff is getting you worried?

From what I gather it's any amount, and they no longer need to show impairment. So I'd say you'd have an issue if you came across a check point the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

So said calming spliff is getting you worried?

From what I gather it's any amount, and they no longer need to show impairment. So I'd say you'd have an issue if you came across a check point the next morning.

That's what I'm saying. Cannabis can be detected weeks after smoking it. Does that mean if I have a spliff tonight I can't drive to work for the week? Clarity is needed.

And no, the spliff isn't worrying me, the very limited info on testing for it is.

That's what I'm saying. Cannabis can be detected weeks after smoking it. Does that mean if I have a spliff tonight I can't drive to work for the week? Clarity is needed.

If it can be detected then it's an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

OP, we've previously had a good discussions on the issue, one of my favourites was the "Drug driving new laws" thread which has various links to studies etc and details on the testing. Post #83 onwards deals with the current drug testing laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

If it can be detected then it's an offence.

Ok. I guess my question then is how long can it be detected. Is it just an oral test/swab? I mean it could be in your blood and urine for months..

• Advertisement

Ok. I guess my question then is how long can it be detected. Is it just an oral test/swab? I mean it could be in your blood and urine for months..

GM228 posted the limits in the other thread. I'm afraid I've no idea on how long these things can be detected for with the kits. I know the advice bandied about at the time was don't drive for 24 hours.

You might want to discuss the matter with your GP they might be able to give you the medical side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I can't seem to find the guidance now but I remember looking this up after a holiday where it was legal. The figures I recall are 6 hours after you last smoke for the saliva test (yes it's just a swab) but they recommend 24 hours.

EDIT: found it from the RSA “The Drager Drugtest 5000 will detect 9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active ingredient in cannabis, in oral fluid for about 6 hours after last use.”
    https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Campaigns/Anti Drug Driving/Preliminary Drug Testing List FAQs.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I can't seem to find the guidance now but I remember looking this up after a holiday where it was legal. The figures I recall are 6 hours after you last smoke for the saliva test (yes it's just a swab) but they recommend 24 hours.

EDIT: found it from the RSA “The Drager Drugtest 5000 will detect 9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active ingredient in cannabis, in oral fluid for about 6 hours after last use.”
    https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Campaigns/Anti%20Drug%20Driving/Preliminary%20Drug%20Testing%20List%20FAQs.pdf

Worth noting that "chronic users" (which isn't as chronic as you think) these numbers are significantly different. There is no real way of knowing when it's non-detectable in saliva short of purchasing a Drager Drug Test 5000.

What a fcking name for the machine. I reckon the lads in marketing who decided on that name were smoking something them selves and had a right giggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Wiki gives the following info on detection in saliva
    Saliva testing
    Edit
    Cannabis is detectable by saliva testing. Just like blood testing, saliva testing detects the presence of parent drugs and not their inactive metabolites. This results in a shorter window of detection for cannabis by saliva testing.[18] Delta 9 THC is the parent compound. If a saliva sample is tested in a lab, the detection level can be as low as 0.5 ng/mL (up to 72 hours after intake)[19] and if an onsite instant saliva drug test is used, the cut off level is generally 50 ng/mL (up to 12 hours after intake).[citation needed] Per National Institute on Drug Abuse saliva drug testing provides a reasonable alternative to other drug testing methods.[20]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_drug_testing

Advertisement