Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone impersonating me on LinkedIn

Options
  • 21-07-2019 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

I noted recently that someone set up a fake LinkedIn profile of me. I am livid.

I really want to find out who. Can this even be done however?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Are you sure this isn't a shadow profile created by LinkedIn? Facebook do this also. They create a dummy profile with all the information they have gathered about you from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Always sensible to address people who might be able to do something about it. Talk to LinkedIn.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

Long answer a hypothetical yes, but it's probably not going to happen. This would require direct cooperation from LinkedIn, which they most likely won't be interested in pursuing.

Short but realistic answer no, but you can contact LinkedIn about it and they'll delete it quite promptly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

It's definitely a gag profile of me set up by someone. Would love if I could have ip address of individual who created it tracked to an address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It's definitely a gag profile of me set up by someone. Would love if I could have ip address of individual who created it tracked to an address

Only LinkedIn have that info and they will not give it to anyone without a court order. Then the Gardai would have to trace that IP to an ISP customer requiring another court order. The best you can expect is that you report it and it gets taken down

• Advertisement

So frustrating. Basically any Tom, Dick or Harry can have a bitta fun at someone else's expense and get no comeuppance

Will an ip address track to a name if not an address?
    Mr.S wrote: »
    You won’t get an IP address from LinkedIn.

You won’t be able to track an IP address to an address anyway.

Best thing you can do is report the profile to LinkedIn and they will act appropriately - https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/61664/reporting-fake-profiles?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nevermindnow

Will an ip address track to a name if not an address?

No

So even if one went down court order route, how could the guilty party ever be identified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

So even if one went down court order route, how could the guilty party ever be identified?

Guilty of what exactly? Is social media impersonation actually a crime?

• Advertisement

Severe damage to one's reputation could be done. Imagine someone setup a profile of you, say presenting you as racist, homophobic etc etc Even if profile live just for a week it could do untold damage to person
    Guilty of what exactly? Is social media impersonation actually a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Email them from a different professional account offering them a job. Make it really interesting & see if they respond. If they do, you've got their IP

Advertisement