Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Championship 2019 chat

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Argentina are crap.

• awec wrote: »
    Argentina are crap.

This goes over and they only need a try to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

Hope Retallick can get back for the World Cup. Yet another player injured being cleared out in a ruck when he wasn’t interfering in the play.

Reading on twitter that it's a dislocated shoulder and unfortunately it's more likely to be a season ender than not.

It's possible to get back within 8 - 10 weeks but generally it's 3 months +

Hoping it's not as bad as all that and he's back in time, he's one of the best players in the world and you want to see that calibre in a World Cup.

Confirmed now. That's his world cup done.

Gutted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ah terrible if Retallick misses the WC. Pretty much my favourite non Irish player in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

OK, I have to concede Grant Marshall correctly disputed a penalty that had gone in the AB’s favour at 55.33.

South Africa look like a serious outfit these days, well organised again. Kolbe’s running is a joy to watch and he puts in a load of tackles too.

In my completely uninformed opinion, that hit on Retallick shouldn’t be legal. A player in a ruck has no defence against somebody running into his side like that. I’d like a little more protection for players so they’d have a reasonable chance of making the big events. This may be the soccer virus talking but rugby has to look at its attrition rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

NZ commentators being more than fair here at 73.17. My whole belief system is crumbling.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bilston wrote: »
    Ah terrible if Retallick misses the WC. Pretty much my favourite non Irish player in the last couple of years.

All the sounds are that he'll be good to go... No structural damage to his shoulder.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    All the sounds are that he'll be good to go... No structural damage to his shoulder.

That's good news.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the clear out, to be honest. It served absolutely no purpose other than to take a man out, and the angle of entry was highly questionable.

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's good news.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the clear out, to be honest. It served absolutely no purpose other than to take a man out, and the angle of entry was highly questionable.

I'd disagree strongly.

The clear out was text book.... Retallick cannot expect to loiter on the wrong side of a ruck without being cleared. It must happened that RG is a fcuking huge beast of a man.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'd disagree strongly.

The clear out was text book.... Retallick cannot expect to loiter on the wrong side of a ruck without being cleared. It must happened that RG is a fcuking huge beast of a man.

I suggest you watch again. Retallick wasn't on the wrong side of the ruck, in fact he was the AB's hindmost player in the ruck.

The angle of entry was in from the side, how else did he end up on the ground with Retallick on the completely opposite side of the ruck?

I suggest you throw out your textbook.

Have even attached a couple of pretty pictures for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not sure what you want here, a citing?

Not at all, and the All Black's won't cry about it. I'm just surprised more wasn't made about the angle of entry, especially because of the injury that resulted.

The point is that if he entered from directly in front of Retallick, and forced him directly backwards, chances are he wouldn't have been injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Pretty sure its just to emphasise once again that these illegal entries to clear rucks is causing bad entries. Rucks are a complete free for all and really need to be better officiated and clearer laws need to be brought in.

Haven’t we lost two players from dangerous entry this year ourselves and ex players and commentators are banging on about the ruck all the time now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If the refs held to the law, which states players have to keep shoulders above hips and stay on their feet, it wouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If the refs held to the law, which states players have to keep shoulders above hips and stay on their feet, it wouldn't be an issue.

This ^^^ it’s not like the laws aren’t there already, they’re just being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

How good was Kolbe yesterday, and how **** was Le Roux. Surprised Rassie didn't execute him at half time.

Kolbe was everywhere, buzzing with the ball in hand and defensive rock.

In this particular incident, that wasn't an issue...unless you're saying Snyman flew in with his head under his hips (which I don't think he did).

I agree though, at virtually every breakdown you could find multiple infringements (to the letter of the law).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

aloooof wrote: »
    Will BB still retain kicking duties?
    stephen_n wrote: »
    Why is Barret kicking?

I didn't see the match in full, but this was my thoughts as well. He missed one fairly straight forward penalty again. You'd have to think it'll cost them at some point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

I just want consistency. the "justice for bakkies" clearout on Adam Jones was a citing in 2009.
    Tupou got yellow carded against SA for a great clearout ( admittedly close to the whistle) .
    Snyman's was as egregious going by those precedents .

I don't know what constitutes a foul here anymore.

This sort of missiling into rucks is the same thing that injured Dan Leavy and now Retallick

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Basil3 wrote: »
    I suggest you watch again. Retallick wasn't on the wrong side of the ruck, in fact he was the AB's hindmost player in the ruck.

The angle of entry was in from the side, how else did he end up on the ground with Retallick on the completely opposite side of the ruck?

I suggest you throw out your textbook.

Have even attached a couple of pretty pictures for you.

Hindmost foot and pythagorus would be needed to calculate the angle Snyman came in at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I have to say that haven't heard that law in relation to rucks.

I know they are meant to enter on their feet but if they go off their feet after entry the ref has some discretion as it is a dynamic situation.

I'm disappointed that Retallick is injured but I didn't really think there was a lot wrong with the clear out. Maybe its at a slight angle but its not that bad. Does anyone know if the injury occurred from the impact of Snyman or the way Retallick fell?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I have to say that haven't heard that law in relation to rucks.

Law 15. 3
    Players involved in all stages of the ruck must have their heads and shoulders no lower than their hips.

Every jackle is illegal

Some nice play by Australia early on.

Lealifilano starting well. White a threat around the fringes. NZ proving typically stubborn at the breakdown.

The Australia lineout looking shaky.

What a jammy try!

Lealifilano looked like he had handed it on a plate to NZ.

Great from JOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That was.... unexpected.

• Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hodge is slow enough.

Wallabies playing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Shoulda been an intercept

• Lol what a try.

All Blacks look incredibly loose. No doubt they'll come back into it but no intensity from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Are NZ tanking or what’s the craic? They look so loose all championship. I’ve never seen them so inaccurate.

Advertisement