Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between overturned, reversed, remanded

Options
  • 18-07-2019 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm reading a document I don't fully understand.

In it, it states:

"It is not appropriate for the court of appeals to review this point, which is to be returned to the High Court"

It also states early on that the high courts decision has been 'overturned'

Based on the original statement, does that mean the case is closed? Or remanded to the high court for reconsideration

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The word for referring back to the High Court from the Court of Appeal is "remitted".

I think what's going on from reading your post is that some points were determined by the CoA and not remitted while others were not determined and were remitted. This is standard for appellate courts.

It might be helpful for us in considering the issues you're posting about if you said what case it is you're reviewing.

Advertisement