Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is a criminal record for your future?

Options
  • 18-07-2019 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Not planning on committing a crime any time soon but I was wondering how debilitating it is?

I hear conflicting stories. Some lads I know say their friends were convicted of things like theft, underage sex, spent time in jail or got a suspended sentence and although their "getting by", have decent jobs in construction though it was very hard.

Other people in particular family say that you might as give up on life cause your entire future is ruined. Impossible to get a job, get references for housing, visas to the States etc...

What's the truth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Not planning on committing a crime any time soon but I was wondering how debilitating it is?

I hear conflicting stories. Some lads I know say their friends were convicted of things like theft, underage sex, spent time in jail or got a suspended sentence and although their "getting by", have decent jobs in construction though it was very hard.

Other people in particular family say that you might as give up on life cause your entire future is ruined. Impossible to get a job, get references for housing, visas to the States etc...

What's the truth?

It honestly depends on the offence, the job you're going for or the country you're trying tu get into.

Just look at that lad in the states, he entered on the visa waiver scheme and overstayed his visa. When he got married to an American girl he decided to regularise his situation which should be fairly straightforward if it weren't for 2 minor drugs convictions in Ireland before he moved.

He appealed the decision but was declined and basically told to get out of the country by Friday or he'll be deported.

In that case his criminal record for minor drug offences has resulted in serious upheaval for his wife and children, the possible loss of his business and being kicked out of the country he wants to live in and has been contributing to for over a decade.

These are the types of consequences that a simple drugs possession charge can have on a person's future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Easier recently thanks to spent convictions.

Advertisement