Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford town centre

Options
  • 18-07-2019 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi all

The boss and I are regular visitors to Wexford town. We are thinking of buying a small house there for weekend/holiday use, with a view to retirement in a few years.

I would welcome any general comments or advice on the town centre area, good and bad! We hope to view some properties soon and would like to have the local knowledge for haggling purposes!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RiCriostoir

Only place I'd avoid buying a House is Hazelwood, Bridgetown. These houses are very cheap and there is a reason behind it, so don't go near that place.

When looking for a weekend/holiday house are you actually wanting to be bang right in the centre of Wexford town, or would you be looking towards say Rosslare strand?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Thanks for that.

Budget would rule out anything in Rosslare I think.

We would be happy enough in the town as there is a good vibe there in my view. Still young enough to want a choice of pubs etc!

I note the proposal to develop Trinity Wharf which seems over the top size-wise but a welcome initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RiCriostoir

Who knows when the Trinity Wharf will be built, and if all goes a head still.

There was new houses built recently in Mulgannon area, called Roxborough Manor. Which they have a nice view over the Quay and close to town. The price ranges from €190,000 to €250,000 depending on the size. Kehoe and Associates are selling them, and they were built by Neville Homes.

I'd recommend anywhere really in town, as majority of places are fine, you'd prob hear a few rumors but theres a reason they are called that. If I were you check, daft.ie or other websites and if you see something you like, you can email me about it and whats the closet pub/leisure activity, but all should be close as a taxi around town costs from 5-6 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Only place I'd avoid buying a House is Hazelwood, Bridgetown. These houses are very cheap and there is a reason behind it, so don't go near that place.

When looking for a weekend/holiday house are you actually wanting to be bang right in the centre of Wexford town, or would you be looking towards say Rosslare strand?
    A few years ago it was but Bridgetown is a different place last few years.

Took a spin down recently. Saw a few places for sale on King Street. That's the street from the Talbot Hotel back towards Tesco. Anyone know anything about this area?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Took a spin down recently. Saw a few places for sale on King Street. That's the street from the Talbot Hotel back towards Tesco. Anyone know anything about this area?

Thanks.

Mainly older residents on one side,social housing on the other,a busy road and can be prone to flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Mainly older residents on one side,social housing on the other,a busy road and can be prone to flooding.

That not a thing of the past since mains drainage was done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

vicwatson wrote: »
    That not a thing of the past since mains drainage was done ?

Not as bad as it used to be but there was some flooding last year

Thanks again for the information, very helpful.

Does anyone know anything about Clonard Village? Looks to be in very good order. I appreciate it’s a good bit further out.

Also Melrose Court, any known issues there?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Does anyone know anything about Clonard Village? Looks to be in very good order. I appreciate it’s a good bit further out.

Thanks.

Clonard village is a Celtic tiger development, there's nothing appealing about the place at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Clonard village is a Celtic tiger development, there's nothing appealing about the place at all.

Great location for shopping and amenities, but no, I wouldn't live there. Claustrophobic and full of 'rat-run' laneways that can't be good for anti-social activity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Thanks.
    some of melrose court has problems with dampness . If you were looking at town houses like in king street you could have a look at ''johns road '' some nice little cul de sac's up there and most would have a little front and back garden . ''Davitt road '' would be similar but quiet a bit of traffic .
    these places are just up the hill from ''melrose '' through traffic lights .
    There is also a nice house for sale [ i've no connection ] in ''parklands '' which is a nice residential cul de sac . Friend of mine live there and love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Hi all

The boss and I are regular visitors to Wexford town. We are thinking of buying a small house there for weekend/holiday use, with a view to retirement in a few years.

I would welcome any general comments or advice on the town centre area, good and bad! We hope to view some properties soon and would like to have the local knowledge for haggling purposes!

Thanks in advance.

Come to Enniscorthy, we don't say hun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Come to Enniscorthy, we don't say hun!

But an awful lot of you do say 'Boss'

Advertisement