Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuttal of "Deer Poacher".

• 17-07-2019 12:27pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I came across this video last night while skimming through Youtube. I now see it's doing the rounds on Facebook.

Its related to this thread and the same chap involved has decided to give his side of things.

Now i don't know the chap, never met him and have had no interaction with him, but if he thinks what he says in this video, and rest to come as he puts it, is going to endear him to others he may want to consider a different narrative.

In the video he:
    • Defames (by name) a senior member of An Gardaíï. Not once but three times at my count.
    • Says anyone that has a lease is a "Lah tee Dah" shooter, iow not really a stalker/hunter.
    • Says everyone he hunts with has poached (taken a shot on the other side of the fence or on land they had no permission to be on)
    • Says anyone who says to him they've never done that is talking bullsh*t.
    • Says he only hunts for the fridge by taking one Deer yet this picture would seem to differ from that.
    • Says everyone deserves a gun license and deserves a deer license.
    • Says he will explain the law on deer poaching (someone might want to tell him it's illegal)

He contradicts or corrects himself multiple times throughout the video by saying things like:
    • I've never been before the courts for deer poaching - actually i have been before the courts, but never convicted
    • "Thermo" scopes are illegal - without a license, like silencers. (yeah, like guns, driving a car, owning a TV, owning a dog, etc. etc.).
    • That he is not out to hurt/threaten anyone - but he has done time for the same.

He then finishes by saying he'll explain his side, why he was arrested, why he has served time, and how it's all a big conspiracy against him by the (and again he defames) the named Garda.

As i said above i don't know him, and my opinions above are based on the video he posted alone, nothing else. He comes across, based on his comments and language, as being ignorant (not knowing the proper rank, laws, etc), insulting, vague, and deflective. I wonder what will others think who are involved in things he describes. Such as those that use leases because they want/have to. How about the majority of us that stay within the law and don't poach or don't even know, personally, anyone that does poach (shoot across the fence as he puts it?).

I wrestled with the idea of putting this thread up because it links to his video and Youtube channel, and frankly i don't like the idea of someone like this getting "known" for the wrong reasons, but i'd like to get others opinions. I'd especially like to hear from those that agree with him as he already has "likes" on Youtube so a few people out there must agree with him.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Not the sharpest tool in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Croohur

Watched a few minutes of it when it came up on FAcebook, but eventually had to turn it off. Rambling, incoherent, and as you mention Cass he contradicts himself constantly. He talks about writing an autobiography!!! Now theres a ghost writer thats going to earn his money.
    Kept talking about how he wasnt a poacher, but then kept saying he was going to talk about deer poaching.....
    I wouldnt want him on my debating team anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nope! You are an idiot and thats why you got caught.You didnt know when to quit and you didnt know how to keep your mouth shut on social media.So now you are pussing on in a bad YT video on your innocence.Looking forward to your book,might be abit more coherent than that wasted 9mins of my life.:rolleyes:.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

He would be well advised to check out the defamation laws in Ireland...even on Facebook

https://www.defamationireland.com/defamation-on-facebook/

Defamation on Facebook in Ireland
    If somebody has made untrue and derogatory remarks about you, your children or your business on Facebook, you have the right to defend your reputation under the Defamation Act 2009 by making compensation claims for defamation on Facebook.

However, before exercising that right, there are certain issues with regard to claiming compensation for defamation on Facebook that prevent many people from proceeding with legal action. This article explains what some of those issues are.

Some successful cases:

https://www.defamationireland.com/compensation-for-defamation-on-facebook/

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/hospital-worker-awarded-65k-after-being-defamed-on-facebook-36345960.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Second video is up. It's brilliant. I mean if you are going to rant about how innocent you are, write it down and read from your statement. FFS.

He said a few times how "i shot for years beside this man". Funny he told us in video one he never had a firearms license, and repeats this a few times throughout both videos.

He said "when i went for a deer my mates went for a deer". Keeps letting the mask slip.

Then towards the end he says "The way the papers talk about how i have a license to kill. I wish i had, i know who'd i start with. The corrupt Gardaí for a start".

Couple the above with now defaming not only An Gardaí, but named individuals in the IDC, and others. Sweet Jesus, this guy is digging a huge hole for himself and doesn't have the cop on to realise and stop.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Innocent poacher !

Nolan is well-known to gardai. In July 2007 he was given a two-year jail sentence for his role in a brawl that resulted in an off-duty garda's jaw being broken.

In 2013, he was convicted of three offences relating to shooting rights and trespassing in Hacketstown, Co Carlow.

He received a two-year driving ban in 2010 for dangerous driving at the Sally Gap, Co Wicklow, which related to an incident in which he was followed by gardai investigating poaching in the locality.

The father-of-three was also convicted of animal cruelty in 2008 after a hound was set on a deer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/john-nogsey-nolan-the-violent-criminal-at-the-centre-of-a-garda-probe-into-illegal-poaching-called-operation-bambi-34300880.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Deadlift kid

Well now my first time seen this video didnt jnow of it or he had a yt channel but ill say this im not surprised he's a tool,

been from the same locality as him id know the fella but also ie dealing with same gardai but nogs is a well known poacher in the area among a complete and utter sh#*head imo the worst and shouldnt be anywhere near a firearm

Is well known to have been aggressive and threatened to land owners while tresspassing/shooting on their land while in possession of a firearm gives us all a bad bad name makes things more difficult imo im only seem this thread and page 1 I had to comment ill continue along but I know hes had incidences before ya might want to google the threatening landowners piece he's the worst imo

Been extremely honest he's From real bad click runs in bad clicks a real violent mouth piece now ive got it off my chest but I dunno how he managed to slip between the cracks myself to get a firearm .. but ive witnessed his quarry in back of jeep one time at a garage bragging how many he takes said jeep was packed to the roof back to front with deer sika reds the lot im a shooter and all for our rights but this guy takes the piss I could go on some more about his salmons fishing ahem poaching cough cough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

He truly is the man for whom that wonderful word 'Gobsh*te' was originally coined.

My late da would have said of him that 'he's fatal to himself'.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Deadlift kid

Just watched the video there he states he's never had a gun licence this guy is known to been shooting for yrs I always assumed he had a licence how does he but his ammo or where ? How? I dunno what to make of it

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

Absolute knacker

• Advertisement

Great entertainment , almost on a par with SImon O'Donnell crossed with Hardy bucks
    Should be encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Is there a want in him.

What rate type of fool puts up a video like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I think he is confusing conspiracy with conducting an investigation and presenting evidence.

Saying that he's a good lad and his offences were really only little teensieweensie bits of a little bit of wrongdoing because of the nasty blister on his left big toe is his solicitor's job, not the investigating Garda's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think he is confusing conspiracy with conducting an investigation and presenting evidence.

Saying that he's a good lad and his offences were really only little teensieweensie bits of a little bit of wrongdoing because of the nasty blister on his left big toe is his solicitor's job, not the investigating Garda's.

He is determined to make sure the Guards have enough again at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Better to look a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Cass wrote: »
    Second video is up. It's brilliant.
    Couple the above with now defaming not only An Gardaí, but named individuals in the IDC, and others. Sweet Jesus, this guy is digging a huge hole for himself and doesn't have the cop on to realise and stop.

I've just watched it - hard to believe anybody would make such a video

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Asus1

Had he ever a gun licence.When your selling deer to a dealer do you show your licence and is it logged in a database to show how many deer each licence is killing.Are deer tagged when brought in so there is some sort of traceability as is done with cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Sounds like another shïte in the bucket to me

Sounds like another shïte in the bucket to me

What happened to Simon O'Donnell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

A triumph of our education system a truly wonderful human being and three children to boot. No more videos please my cup flows over already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

There is alot of this type of scum in every county that is poaching deer, i have looked at every article wrote about him and to give my 2 cents on this individual the image that was posted in the paper with all the deer on the floor and him pumping himself up to make himself look like the hulk (gone wrong) speaks a thousand words to describe this parasite of society, he keeps going on about doing time as if his proud of what his done, he can try and justify his actions but i'm not buying it and anyone that agree's with him is worse. his an out and out low life disgusting human being simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 11117

I know of him fairly well. Definitely not the sharpest tool in the box but he does raise some valid points and some truths at the same time. The whole deer stalking establishments/groups/individual stalkers portray themselves as whiter than white. I’d tend to agree with his assertion about lads shooting that deer on the other side of the “fence” when nobody is around to see. Also I can see some reason behind his logic of the deer groups and certain individuals using their positions to look after themselves and their own when it comes to gaining shooting rights to areas around forestry leases.

I’ve stalked for over 20 years and the longer I’m at it the more I think that we should look to the New Zealand model. No closed season, no game dealers. It’s a recreational pastime to go out and hunt for meat. Back to basics approach. The whole attitude towards stalking here is based on the old British idea of the deer being the kings animal. Open it up and allow access to public lands via whatever means, ban game sales to dealers.

Will it ever happen? No is the answer. Because the same guys that cry online and to whoever will listen about game dealers being an outlet for poaching are the same people that rely on the dealers to supplement the price paid for their leases by selling deer to the dealers.

11117 wrote: »
    I know of him fairly well. Definitely not the sharpest tool in the box but he does raise some valid points and some truths at the same time. The whole deer stalking establishments/groups/individual stalkers portray themselves as whiter than white. I’d tend to agree with his assertion about lads shooting that deer on the other side of the “fence” when nobody is around to see. Also I can see some reason behind his logic of the deer groups and certain individuals using their positions to look after themselves and their own when it comes to gaining shooting rights to areas around forestry leases.

I’ve stalked for over 20 years and the longer I’m at it the more I think that we should look to the New Zealand model. No closed season, no game dealers. It’s a recreational pastime to go out and hunt for meat. Back to basics approach. The whole attitude towards stalking here is based on the old British idea of the deer being the kings animal. Open it up and allow access to public lands via whatever means, ban game sales to dealers.

Will it ever happen? No is the answer. Because the same guys that cry online and to whoever will listen about game dealers being an outlet for poaching are the same people that rely on the dealers to supplement the price paid for their leases by selling deer to the dealers.

Nice Idea , but we have a land border with another jurisrtiction and open borders to allow many other nationalities to enter and leave .

if you opened it up , deer would end up in refrigerated containers and leave the country by the container load.

Poaching and overfishing has destroyed our salmon rivers, knackers like Nogsy would have a field day if we do not control deer hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

11117 wrote: »

So any gob****e should be able to go onto public lands and shoot away, with no vetting as to safety and competence?

if you opened it up , deer would end up in refrigerated containers and leave the country by the container load.

The above is totally over reaching and ridiculous in all fairness. There is so much over reaction and sensationalism about poaching

So any gob****e should be able to go onto public lands and shoot away, with no vetting as to safety and competence?

It works in other countries. Why couldn’t it here? A lot of the gob****es as you refer to them are the ones with the firearms and dee permits

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Apart from NZ,where else has a no season deer hunting regime?NZ has it because deer are an invasive species introduced there 200 years ago.Not to mind how many escapees from deer farms.

The solution to this is simple...Remove the easy money aspect from this and people like Nogsy and his types will disapper under the rock they crawled out from in the first place.Put a 5 year moratorium on sales of wild venison to game dealers and lets see then if;

1] There is an over or under pouplation of deeer here as claimed.

2] How many game dealers will be in profit or not afterwards.As the domestic/UK market is mostly supplied by farmed NZ deer,that our own commercial European deer farmers cant compete.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Take the money out of deer and most of the poaching will stop

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Apart from NZ,where else has a no season deer hunting regime?NZ has it because deer are an invasive species introduced there 200 years ago.Not to mind how many escapees from deer farms.

The solution to this is simple...Remove the easy money aspect from this and people like Nogsy and his types will disapper under the rock they crawled out from in the first place.Put a 5 year moratorium on sales of wild venison to game dealers and lets see then if;

1] There is an over or under pouplation of deeer here as claimed.

2] How many game dealers will be in profit or not afterwards.As the domestic/UK market is mostly supplied by farmed NZ deer,that our own commercial European deer farmers cant compete.
    Fully agree with grizzly take the money side out of it and these scumbags will just disappear and watch a siffnicant drop in deer license applications they will fall drastically...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads,

This is not directed at any one person, just a general notice.

I started this thread to open a discussion on the topic as well as the person involved. There is too much name calling/insults and i'd like it to stop before i end up having to closing the thread for the same reasons as i said the guy is foolish for the way he made the videos.

Lets try be a little better and keep it civil.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement