Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney's Mulan - Live Action.

• 08-07-2019 4:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Disney's latest live action remake of one of their animated films.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Disney's latest live action remake of one of their animated films.

Where's the mini dragon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

it looks ok but nothing beats the animated version imo. i even love the songs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Looks like a truly different take on the story which is what a remake should be. AFAIK Mushu is a character invented for the Disney version and not part of the original legend to which this version is honinh closee, so I don't mind them not using him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is this going to be a musical? Doesn't seem like it, unless that trailer's being super sneaky; looks halfway decent, to be fair. Like it's trying to be a bit different from animation, rather than a sloppy regurgitation.

Wonder when they run out of 'renaissance' era films, will Disney turn to Treasure Planet & Atlantic to adapt to live-action ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Disney are doing a lot of live-action remakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

They're flying through these remakes way too quickly. If they're not careful, sooner or later they may have to actually sit down and write something original.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Trailer! A bunch of recognisable faces!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

El Duda wrote: »
    They're flying through these remakes way too quickly. If they're not careful, sooner or later they may have to actually sit down and write something original.

Or buy another studio with franchises

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hope for them this does well in China as it look like it won't elsewhere.

Doesn't seem at all like the original Disney version, could be any random Milan movie from any random studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Interesting to cast Mulan - a teenager - with a 32-year-old Chinese Communist Party bootlicker. Excited to see how that plays out closer to release.

• Advertisement

Superbowl sneek peak:

Final Trailer.. to go with the Superbowl Spot:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Better to be safe than sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ Millie Muscular Weakling

It’s now going to be released on Disney+ in a VOD format for $29.99 on top of the Disney+ subscription.

I wouldn’t pay it personally, but I’m not the target for Mulan. I thought the €18 was high for the other home premiere rentals.

I suppose for large families there probably is a saving in this.

I wonder have cinemas much to fear?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

This is one I probably would have gone to the cinema to see (pre-Covid) as it doesn't seem like its going to be just a simple re-tread of the animated version. But $30 (which I take it will translate into €30 or more here) is more than I'd be willing to spend on a rental. If it costs more (in this case double?!) to see it once than it would to actually own it (physically or digitally), I'm out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Hope it back fires on Disney, so greedy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

While I can understand that $30 costs are high and to be compared to bringing the family to the cinema, you still are watching it at home and on a small screen by comparison. It's pretty steep.

Disney are getting desperate now. Apparently they are about to have a massive cull of staff in the coming week(s) and are in a very bad position. They're at the stage where they can't afford to produce useless, throwaway and below average content as they have been doing. Everything needs to be good, and a massive hit. The bad rep from the Star Wars side and the recent Fox takeover is no doubt hurting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Disney are getting desperate now. Apparently they are about to have a massive cull of staff in the coming week(s) and are in a very bad position. They're at the stage where they can't afford to produce useless, throwaway and below average content as they have been doing. Everything needs to be good, and a massive hit. The bad rep from the Star Wars side and the recent Fox takeover is no doubt hurting them.

Have to disagree. They reported $3.5b in losses this year, but a huge proportion of that is theme park related. Most of the staff they let go will be theme park employees.

They're currently five years ahead of projections for onboarding to Disney+, will be launching "Disney ⭐" internationally (Hulu) in 2021.

Additionally they're apparently eyeing up Paramount for takeover (monopolies commission to have their word yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

OU812 wrote: »
    Have to disagree. They reported $3.5b in losses this year, but a huge proportion of that is theme park related. Most of the staff they let go will be theme park employees.

They're currently five years ahead of projections for onboarding to Disney+, will be launching "Disney ⭐" internationally (Hulu) in 2021.

Additionally they're apparently eyeing up Paramount for takeover (monopolies commission to have their word yet).

There's no doubt the parks are doing the biggest damage, but we'll see how these rumours pan out around the movie side of things. Apparently it'll be a cull from all departments, cutting out so much of the deadwood that will be far worse than in the last two recessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It’s now going to be released on Disney+ in a VOD format for $29.99 on top of the Disney+ subscription.

I wouldn’t pay it personally, but I’m not the target for Mulan. I thought the €18 was high for the other home premiere rentals.

I suppose for large families there probably is a saving in this.

I wonder have cinemas much to fear?

It's crazy high. I have Disney+ and normally go to the cinema with a family of 4. It's cheaper to go to the cinema. Not a hope I'd pay €30 to watch it at home. Never mind the lead actress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Disney plus is a spot of positivity, but let’s be real. Their projections were extremely conservative. A huge amount of their US subscribers aren’t paying anything to Disney and even in they were the income is a drop compared to the large bucket that is the parks. That 70 dollars wouldn’t get you in the door at the parks.

The company’s position is precarious enough (not that you’d know it be the stock price). The acquisitions, particularly Fox has left very little in the rainy day fund and Disney has an extraordinary ability to burn through money eg Walt Disney World has over 70,000 employees alone. Even when drastic measures such as the furloughed 40k, there’s was still the massive Capex that they’re locked into. Also, the horrible optics of open parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭ThePott

I see a lot of people complaining about the high price but as soon as a film this big went to VOD it was always going to be an expensive price tag. I've seen the same people saying that Disney should release Black Widow and they'll pay 50 quid are now complaining about Mulan.

If just 10% of their subscriber base pay the $29 for it, it’ll bring in $180m. Not enough to cover production costs (approx $220m) but they’d be saving in marketing costs, also the split with the exhibitors (about 12%).

They’re also releasing theatrically in regions that don’t have D+ (China is one) - expect another $200m or so there.

And then you have the additional subscriptions it’ll bring in, say a million at the annual fee - $75, plus another million at a once off $8 for the month to see it

It could end up quite profitable for them (but with Hollywood accounting, won’t).

Either way it’s most likely a once off.

Either way it’s most likely a once off.
    I know that's what they're saying but if this is in anyway a success, I think it will be far more common even if it's just a shortened theatrical window. I saw a tweet from someone as well saying that Disney + employees who worked on the VOD model suggested enough work has gone in that there's no way this can be a one and done.

Exhibitors take a lot more than 12 percent. With other VOD services they'd only get an estimated 80% take. They're not gonna abandon theatres but if this succeeds it's a massive bargaining chip against cinema chains especially with the theatrical window already being put into question with the Universal-AMC deal.

I’ve no doubt there’d be further releases in this way. Disney is the only distributor with its own platform and massive back catalogue to stock it. They would have been mad not to build this in.

There’s diminishing returns though. The number of annual subscribers they bring in each time will become smaller for each release they do.

Black widow may bring in another million annuals but now you’ve got two million who’re not going to be there for the next big release you do and may only get 800k etc.

Oh of course, it's something that will only work in certain cases but I do think there's a market there for the right blockbuster. There is other platforms for studios, Disney's has just been the most successful and most widely available. People will sign up for the right film but there is a chance that if it's a title not massively anticipated and the price isn't right they risk putting out a title that people are happy to seek out by alternative means.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

They’re also releasing theatrically in regions that don’t have D+ (China is one) - expect another $200m or so there.

Are they likely to do a theatrical release in regions with cinemas open? If they do, I'll happily go to the Omniplex to see it.

I've heard UK exhibitors aren't getting it and are baffled as to why so I would imagine it's the same case here that it won't be in cinemas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It will be €21.99 here in Ireland from the 4th of September.

Advertisement