Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

MOAG looking for prospecting licence near Roundstone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭ jkforde

they can explore all they like, they'll never get a licence to mine, Glencar's experience near Croagh Patrick set a kind of ministerial precedent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭ tphase

jkforde wrote: »
    they can explore all they like, they'll never get a licence to mine, Glencar's experience near Croagh Patrick set a kind of ministerial precedent
    I hope you're right but I wouldn't bet on it.

What was the ministerial precedent in relation to Glencar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭ jkforde

tphase wrote: »
    I hope you're right but I wouldn't bet on it.

What was the ministerial precedent in relation to Glencar?

i had it wrong, it was Mayo CoCo that imposed the mining ban after the exploration was completed and ore reserves calculated.... like saying.. oh yeah, come over here, spend money locally exploring but whatever you find you can't mine. i hope this latest bunch know the machinations of Irish politics!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭ nuac

A long and complicated sgéal about the gold in them thar hills in West Mayo

The Company involved on Croagh Patrick was Burmin. Their initial prospecting indicated gold on Croagh Patrick. Massive local objections on amenity, cultural and religious reasons. Minister stopped all propecting on CP for those reasons.

Glencar were prospecting about 10 miles SW of Croagh Patrick at Cregganbaun.
    Council purported to ban mining in that area. HC held that the ban was unlawful.
    Glencar and their JV company Andaman then sued Council for damages etc for economic loss. Eventually failed in Supreme Ct.

Judgements are interesting. Too long to summarise here

Then price of an oz. of gold was about 250 dollars. It is now about 1400 dollars an oz so.................?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭ tphase

nuac wrote: »
    Then price of an oz. of gold was about 250 dollars. It is now about 1400 dollars an oz so.................?
    precisely...I'd be concerned that economics will trump environment.
    These guys have already prospected in the area for molybdenum and copper (in 2010 estimated to be worth ~US$4.5bn for the Mace and Murvey deposits, if my memory is correct. I don't know if they published a valuation subsequent to their more recent prospecting.)
    Presumably they found gold and silver along the way and this application may simply be a formality to give them exclusive rights to apply for a mining licence for those minerals as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭ DaCor

I find it hilarious that so many people are up in arms about this yet they are perfectly happy to let chunks of the the same area be lost forever to facilitate one-off housing for McMansions

Advertisement