Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

AirBnB in Galway

  • 01-07-2019 2:39pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭ Wompa1


    Creating a new thread for this. Had a discussion on a previous thread about the amount of AirBnB in the city.

    A company rendered a map of Ireland by regions showing the number of AirBnB accommodations that exceed the new short term rental threshold:

    https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/445214/

    The problem is worse than at least I had thought it would be. It shows there are 277 places being rented in the city short term through AirBnB that exceed the threshold. The average days a spot has been rented out through it in the city is 217 days!!! I didn't think Galway would even come close to having demand to see it through that many days. The average being made by a landlord for the year is over 30k!


Comments

  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 youngrun


    Wompa1 wrote: »
    Creating a new thread for this. Had a discussion on a previous thread about the amount of AirBnB in the city.

    A company rendered a map of Ireland by regions showing the number of AirBnB accommodations that exceed the new short term rental threshold:

    https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/445214/

    The problem is worse than at least I had thought it would be. It shows there are 277 places being rented in the city short term through AirBnB that exceed the threshold. The average days a spot has been rented out through it in the city is 217 days!!! I didn't think Galway would even come close to having demand to see it through that many days. The average being made by a landlord for the year is over 30k!

    Any idea what this is based on or how worked out? Wht % of the total market is let via STL or AIRBNB

    New legislation in today also..https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0628/1059055-short-term-lets-how-the-new-rules-could-impact-you/

    WIll this mean an increase in rental long term market supply ? Maybe not yet but after summer perhaps


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭ Wompa1


    Sorry, got busy.

    According to the article I read. It's based off the post stay reviews on the site\app and averages of typical AirBnB bookings. AirBnB have a policy that reviews must be completed within 14 days of the stay. The average booking party stays 3 nights. They can map out stays based on when they were posted and aggregate within the 14 day window AirBnB allows for reviews. Definitely not an exact science and AirBnB themselves dispute the numbers but don't publicly put their own numbers out.

    Even without the exact data, this data suggest it's well over the threshold anyway. I'm very surprised there are that many full properties being rented out like that. I'm also surprised Galway has that kind of demand for so much of the year.

    It would be interesting to see data for TripAdvisor and AirBnB together.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 youngrun


    Wompa1 wrote: »
    Sorry, got busy.

    According to the article I read. It's based off the post stay reviews on the site\app and averages of typical AirBnB bookings. AirBnB have a policy that reviews must be completed within 14 days of the stay. The average booking party stays 3 nights. They can map out stays based on when they were posted and aggregate within the 14 day window AirBnB allows for reviews. Definitely not an exact science and AirBnB themselves dispute the numbers but don't publicly put their own numbers out.

    Even without the exact data, this data suggest it's well over the threshold anyway. I'm very surprised there are that many full properties being rented out like that. I'm also surprised Galway has that kind of demand for so much of the year.

    It would be interesting to see data for TripAdvisor and AirBnB together.

    Anecdoatally and from some knowledge of the business there would be a quite high percentage in the city centre and central Salthill of apartments /townhouses that are let Airbnb style. Not sure what the total housing stock is in these areas but would not be surprised if 20% is let short term


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭ Wompa1


    youngrun wrote: »
    Anecdoatally and from some knowledge of the business there would be a quite high percentage in the city centre and central Salthill of apartments /townhouses that are let Airbnb style. Not sure what the total housing stock is in these areas but would not be surprised if 20% is let short term

    It would be interesting to see a number on student accommodation, short term let through online service accommodation, long term empty accommodation and regular long term rented or owner occupied.

    I stayed out in Kinvara for a week last year with an eye to buy out there. I walked around the town and up the boreens every night to get an idea of what it was like. It was interesting, timing wise the vote on the 8th was going on so there were leaflets dropped out the first night we were there. 8 days later most places (even in the estate across from the hotel) seemed to still have the leaflets hanging out of the letterbox.

    It seemed the majority of places were either empty of being used short term. Some of the places on the outskirts of the town looked like they are probably just empty all year round.

    It put me off living in Kinvara. The place was a ghost town by 8pm.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,778 ✭✭✭✭ Stella Huge Marquee


    Wompa1 wrote: »
    Sorry, got busy.

    According to the article I read. It's based off the post stay reviews on the site\app and averages of typical AirBnB bookings. AirBnB have a policy that reviews must be completed within 14 days of the stay. The average booking party stays 3 nights. They can map out stays based on when they were posted and aggregate within the 14 day window AirBnB allows for reviews. Definitely not an exact science and AirBnB themselves dispute the numbers but don't publicly put their own numbers out.

    Even without the exact data, this data suggest it's well over the threshold anyway. I'm very surprised there are that many full properties being rented out like that. I'm also surprised Galway has that kind of demand for so much of the year.

    It would be interesting to see data for TripAdvisor and AirBnB together.

    Galway is a very popular destination all year round so it’s not really surprising there is a big demand for Airbnb. Being from Galway we don’t usually look for hotels etc so don’t realise it but I often have people I know from other parts of the county ask me “what’s going on in Galway this weekend as I can hardly find a hotel room or Airbnb free”, there is usually nothing in particular on Galway is just generally hard to get accommodation.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement