Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VHI online doctor

• 01-07-2019 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I see on my VHI policy that I am entitled to 6 online doctor appointments. Has anyone used this service or similar i.e. video doc? How was it? I’d imagine it is not suitable for a lot of conditions that require a tactile examination.

How would an online doctor write or send a prescription? Is there a digital prescription facility in place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I see on my VHI policy that I am entitled to 6 online doctor appointments. Has anyone used this service or similar i.e. video doc? How was it? I’d imagine it is not suitable for a lot of conditions that require a tactile examination.

How would an online doctor write or send a prescription? Is there a digital prescription facility in place?

i had occasion to check this out and of course it is all highly and ethically organised; try running through the process on the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My wife and I have a similar benefit via Laya.
    It comes in very handy for her renewing her contraception prescription. I've not used it myself yet but when I have the need I will.

Prescriptions are forwarded to your nominated pharmacy.
    Quick video chat, check of BP via our own automatic monitor and a new script issues.

For routine and uncomplicated consultations, they are a godsend IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

banie01 wrote: »
    My wife and I have a similar benefit via Laya.
    It comes in very handy for her renewing her contraception prescription. I've not used it myself yet but when I have the need I will.

Prescriptions are forwarded to your nominated pharmacy.
    Quick video chat, check of BP via our own automatic monitor and a new script issues.

For routine and uncomplicated consultations, they are a godsend IMO.

That’s excellent. Script is forwarded to pharmacy, how handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

We've used this service a few times.

Very handy when you're miserable, don't want to get out of bed and just need a prescription to get you through a few days of whatever is troubling you..

Has it's limitations obviously but great for the every day stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Well it saved me €60 on a doctors visit just to get some pain killers and muscle relaxers for a back injury. With up to 6 consultations per year included in my health insurance, I wish I had used this in the past.

Clearly, if the video doc needed to listen to your heart or shine a light in your ear, then you could easily waste a consultation. Perhaps the future of online consultations is remote doctors syncing up with wearable devices. 🧐

• Advertisement

Interesting as when I lived on a remote scottish island they were thinking along these lines as there were not always drs available. Using eg video and online facilities.Now they are adding this to a Nurse Practitioner being available.

That’s excellent. Script is forwarded to pharmacy, how handy.

still trying to get meds here from the pharmacy. sigh.. small island and I am unable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Could the online VHI doctor issue a sick cert for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Yes, i got them before.

They will email you one if it's deemed necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Anyone know if VHI online doctor will issue Certificate of Incapacity for Work and IB1 form?

I can see webdoctor.ie does but would like to make use of VHI seeing as I pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

VHI did provide me a Sick certificate.

But I didn't ask for Certificate of Incapacity for Work, as I was not aware of this. Later, I had to ask it from my GP. I completed IB1 online myself.

Do let us know if the VHI doctor could complete these.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

No joy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

To issue social welfare certs, a doctor needs to have signed a specific contract with the Dept of Social Protection. I imagine most online doctors haven’t signed such a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think VHI explicitly ruled out prescription renewals for their online doctor. I guess they don’t want to confuse responsibility with the prescribing doctor.

I used the VHI doctor once, worked out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I find the video doc with laya excellent. Great service for someone who is generally well but has come down with a minor infection or ailment.

Advertisement