Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR Question

Options
  • 30-06-2019 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Hey all, looking for a bit of advice if possible, that's if there was anything done wrong.

I'm in a volunteer unit and a while back we were training inhouse. Whilst training I wasn't wearing a piece of my PPE, not intentionally just forgot to, whilst under the supervision of the 2nd in command. Another member of the unit was watching and noticed this but instead of saying anything to us about it, he took a sneaky picture and forwarded it onto the top brass up the country. He didn't say anything about he was going to take one or that he took one and we didn't find out about it until a week or so later when there was an investigation raised.

My question is, did this person violate GDPR in any way by taking this picture on his personal phone and sending it off with the intention of trying to get someone else in trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's possible.

Importantly, your colleagues have a H&S duty to you. Taking the photo and not saying anything is inappropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Curious, does your volunteer organisation have a confidential reporting facility?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Victor wrote: »
    It's possible.

Importantly, your colleagues have a H&S duty to you. Taking the photo and not saying anything is inappropriate.

That he does, but simply walking the 10 foot up to us and saying it would suffice.

But I'm fairly annoyed he took my picture and tried to use it against me and a colleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Curious, does your volunteer organisation have a confidential reporting facility?

Not that I know of but it wasn't done confidentially as we were told who took it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

cococoady wrote: »
    Not that I know of but it wasn't done confidentially as we were told who took it.
    By acknowledging the report and investigating it senior management recognise maybe there is an issue and have offered you an opportunity to explain yourself.

You mention PPE and voluntary organisation and training I suspect you are in one of the mountain rescue teams, civil defence or similar.

By not wearing the required Personal Protection Equipment is it possible that you are showing a disregard for the required standards to ensure group safety?

Is it possible that your colleague had seen this once too often and had enough of your interpretation of the required standards?

• Advertisement
Advertisement