Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job vs. M50.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

No no no, I'd never ever go near the M50 again, it's an utter disgrace. I've commuted in the US and London and regardless of of the fact that the commute time was usually the same the M50 just has something truly miserable about it that will drain the very life from you. I felt far more like a rat in the race back then than I ever have on the London tube.

Don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

OP it really all comes down to where you are in life, do you really need more money? Do you need to change job to further your career? It all comes down to choices, easy commute and spin your wheels in work or new challenge with more money but lose 2/3 hours every day of your life stuck on that highway to hell the m50, I did it for 6 years and I didn’t like the person I became on that road, it turns you into a nasty twisted person and every damn day some moron crashes on it... don’t be fooled by the summer traffic, once the schools return it drains your soul... your commute wouldn’t actually be too bad, many people do twice that every day, I know people coming from longford every day and battling the m50...
    The way I see it is, have a plan, you won’t do it for more than 2 years before it gets to you so have a plan in your mind to get back to a shorter commute, bear in mind I know people who’s careers are going nowhere because they have a short commute, sometimes you got to just go for it, best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sitting on a crammed train or m50 neither is a barrel of laughs.

If the opportunity was a huge jump for a couple of years. But with a plan to get out of it after that then maybe...I wouldn't do it long term though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I done the m50 for just over 2 years, after 2 weeks I realised few things and never looked back

Never expect it to be clear, if it is then happy days
    Don’t bother with the change lane s**t, I see majority of people on it nearly crashing every 5 mins to jump lanes to get ahead to get passed 5 mins later
    If your late your late, don’t expect to make up time on it, ring ahead and let the office know
    Don’t listen to radio in car, it’s awful and every so often will remind you how sh*t the traffic is. Podcast and Spotify all the way
    During day keep eye on traffic, if accident then work later, better to sit in office than in car with a loads of people trying to cut you off
    If huge accident, book into a hotel
    Motor bike on m50? You really want to try that?

Just a few things.....main point is you can get stressed out about it or just turn it into part of routine....it ain’t getting better anytime soon

Great advice. I have to go north on the M50 in the morning and south in evening. Both times when I join I stay in the inside lane until I have to exit. The amount of lane hopping is crazy, I don't know how there aren't more accidents. In the morning especially I find myself flying along in the inside lane while cars are stuck in the outside.
    If I had to go south in the morning and north in the evening I'd seriously have to move jobs, it just looks like a car park then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No no no, I'd never ever go near the M50 again, it's an utter disgrace. I've commuted in the US and London and regardless of of the fact that the commute time was usually the same the M50 just has something truly miserable about it that will drain the very life from you. I felt far more like a rat in the race back then than I ever have on the London tube.

Don't do it.

The tube is awful if any sort of warm weather during commuter hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Would it not make more sense to go through the city, out the quays and onto the n4. Could be worth a recci at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sonny liston

Hi folks,
    thanks again for all the interesting feedback.

I decided to turn down the new job with the longer commute.

- the pay increase(after tax, commuting expenses) wouldn't make much difference to my life. I already afford a mortgage, car, holiday, etc.
    As someone above suggested, buying more "stuff" wouldn't make me any happier.
    - although the new job would have been something new on my cv, I don't think it is a huge leap from what I already do. At least not enough to make me take on an extra 1.5 or 2 hours commute per day.
    - anyway, I spoke to my manager and he agreed to give me more variety & responsibility in my current job.
    - some good ideas about trains, fold up bikes etc. But relative to my existing commute they just did not appeal to me.
    - all the feedback about M50 and impact on well being & free time was a major concern. I'm nervous enough driving on it or any motorway at the best of times.

Each to their own but I realised at my stage in life, work/life balance is more important to me than payrise/promotion. So I will stick where I am for now....

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
    All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The tube is awful if any sort of warm weather during commuter hours.

District and Hammersmith/Central line are air-conditioned ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Hi folks,

- the pay increase(after tax, commuting expenses) wouldn't make much difference to my life. I already afford a mortgage, car, holiday, etc.
    - although the new job would have been something new on my cv, I don't think it is a huge leap from what I already do. At least not enough to make me take on an extra 1.5 or 2 hours commute per day.
    - anyway, I spoke to my manager and he agreed to give me more variety & responsibility in my current job.
    - some good ideas about trains, fold up bikes etc. But relative to my existing commute they just did not appeal to me.
    - all the feedback about M50 and impact on well being & free time was a major concern. I'm nervous enough driving on it or any motorway at the best of times.

Each to their own but I realised at my stage in life, work/life balance is more important to me than payrise/promotion. So I will stick where I am for now....

All the best!

Thanks for the update.

From my perspective, without any real knowledge of your decision or your work/life or anything like that, I think you've made the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hi folks,

All the best!
    good call. especially realising that being able to buy more stuff would not have increased your happiness or wellbeing. I have forgone job changes due to what the commute would do to my life, no regrets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement