Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Direct trains to the airport

• 25-06-2019 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Perhaps just a little off topic, but it may be of interest to people here.

I am flying to Szczecin Airport (SZZ) later this year.

I was delighted to discover that there's a direct train from the airport to the city. However, in a decision worthy of Ireland, it operates only a few times a day and the schedule is not synchronized with the eight or so daily flights. The last train of the night departs a good ninety minutes before the Ryanair flight from Dublin arrives.

Genius.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Someone probably took a look at Farranfore/Kerry and thought it made sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Don't fret. The ferry to Holyhead always managed to be late for the train inland, even if it arrived early. BR (then) refused point blank to make the train wait for the ferry so people got stuck in that dismal port when they got off the boat. The train often left, almost empty, just minutes after the ship docked but not enough time for the punters to disembark, get sorted and make the five minute walk to the train. You'd almost think it was deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

No worse than Irish Rail who continually moved the departing point for the Rosslare train away from the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

No worse than Irish Rail who continually moved the departing point for the Rosslare train away from the boat.

I remember many years ago arriving in on St Patrick and I could not believe my eyes as we walked to the train station to see it departing absolutely bonkers only in Ireland, I asked a guy working at the station why in God's name was it not waiting for passengers he told me it had a time table to keep to and next train was 7 hours later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I remember many years ago arriving in on St Patrick and I could not believe my eyes as we walked to the train station to see it departing absolutely bonkers only in Ireland, I asked a guy working at the station why in God's name was it not waiting for passengers he told me it had a time table to keep to and next train was 7 hours later.

But it’s clearly not only in Ireland by reading this thread.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Storm 10 wrote: »

The Stena Line timetable at Rosslare was changed in 2018 and three out of four sailings now have rail connections at Rosslare, the exception being the morning sailing outbound.

Perhaps this can be put to bed now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Noxegon wrote: »
    Perhaps just a little off topic, but it may be of interest to people here.

I am flying to Szczecin Airport (SZZ) later this year.

I was delighted to discover that there's a direct train from the airport to the city. However, in a decision worthy of Ireland, it operates only a few times a day and the schedule is not synchronized with the eight or so daily flights. The last train of the night departs a good ninety minutes before the Ryanair flight from Dublin arrives.

Genius.

It's on a single line spur from the line the trains normally take.

What happens is instead of the trains taking their fairly straight route, it gets to a junction then goes off in a different direction, services the airport, goes back the way it came and then rejoins the line. The airport is a signficent detour for the train rather than being on the actual main route so operationally it's a bit awkward.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

sugarman wrote: »
    Most natives take the bus as it only costs €2.50 compared to €25 for the train. The bus service is very efficient.

Not sure where you're looking this up but the train is 11.70zl (€2.75)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

Tbilisi, Georgia is another example. Fairly modern airport terminal (actually very like Cork) with equally modern and strikingly designed rail station outside...

Two trains to city centre per day, about 9am and 5pm if memory serves. Most flights to western/central Europe come and go in early hours of the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

But taxis are a pittance. Never paid more than a fiver to the city centre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement