Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ross-Waterford Greenway to be open next summer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Azatadine

This is fantastic but is the timescale possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"A game changer for New Ross and Co.Wexford" - hyperbole much.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Azatadine wrote: »
    This is fantastic but is the timescale possible?

As I understand it the funding announced is for a 5.6km section around New Ross including work on the long disused Red Bridge railway bridge crossing the Barrow north of New Ross and renovating the Mount Elliott railway tunnel. This will mainly be off road but will include some on road sections on the East side of the river.

Its not funding for the the full route to to Waterford but includes funding for some track clearance on that route. Construction work to begin in Q2 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

MichealD wrote: »
    As I understand it the funding announced is for a 5.6km section around New Ross including work on the long disused Red Bridge railway bridge crossing the Barrow north of New Ross and renovating the Mount Elliott railway tunnel. This will mainly be off road but will include some on road sections on the East side of the river.

Its not funding for the the full route to to Waterford but includes funding for some track clearance on that route. Construction work to begin in Q2 2020.

The New Ross loop is going to link up with Kilkenny and Waterford projects apparently.

Link to a route map at the bottom of the article.

https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/community/recreational-and-community-development-projects/new-ross-to-waterford-greenway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Interesting end point at the Mount Elliot end iirc there's a 20ft drop from the road down the track bed with zero access from a very dangerous stretch of road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

anything that helps tourism and particularly gets more into New Ross can only be positive. I had to laugh at some of the comments online though about it. One person complaining that there is enough green areas for people to go walking if they wanted in fields and hills. When pointed out it was a cycling track, the person then said they dont like cycling so what use was it to them. Can never win with some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

bruschi wrote: »
    anything that helps tourism and particularly gets more into New Ross can only be positive. I had to laugh at some of the comments online though about it. One person complaining that there is enough green areas for people to go walking if they wanted in fields and hills. When pointed out it was a cycling track, the person then said they dont like cycling so what use was it to them. Can never win with some people.

New Ross has the Dunbrody and not far away the JK Arboretum its not like they have been forgotten about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

my3cents wrote: »
    New Ross has the Dunbrody and not far away the JK Arboretum its not like they have been forgotten about.

of course, but its not like its a bad thing to have something to attract more people to an area

Advertisement