Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do background checks reveal psychiatric issues?

Options
  • 21-06-2019 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

I visited a psychiatrist last year and spent time in SJOG. Things got a bit heated and all I'll say is that he wrote a letter to the superintendent telling him that he believes I should be monitored and pose a "future risk" for violence.

I don't have any criminal record and only have been cautioned for an unrelated incident the year previously but was wondering if when applying for a job, all these things would come back to haunt me?

Are there any jobs in particular here or even abroad that I would be barred for the "violence risk"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

This is not the USA. We don't have background checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Your medical records are confidential.
    Also I'd say you might not have the full facts of that straight. It sounds very unlikely.
    So in short no is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

maxsmum wrote: »
    Your medical records are confidential.
    Also I'd say you might not have the full facts of that straight. It sounds very unlikely.
    So in short no is the answer.

I got a FOI request and saw the letter he sent to the gardai superintendent and the letter sent back. All the letter says is that they'll take note of his concern.

The psychiatrist was worried that I pose a risk to others and obviously if he's written to the gardai about this then I assume that this might be revealed when working for certain jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

This is not the USA. We don't have background checks.

We do, and for some fairly mundane jobs. Experian are just one company offering such services. How effective they are is another story.

I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you require Garda vetting at which point you need to find out was this concern logged on PULSE. If not I doubt it will come up again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

very strange that some one from SJOG would write directly to a garda superintendent in these days of GDPR but ok ....

i doubt very much that it would effect much apart from the application for some licences vetted by gardai , ie firearms certs PSV or HGV applications

As for employment unless you vere applying or the gardai or army id say your grand

hope your feeling better now anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

mynamejeff wrote: »
    very strange that some one from SJOG would write directly to a garda superintendent in these days of GDPR but ok ....

i doubt very much that it would effect much apart from the application for some licences vetted by gardai , ie firearms certs PSV or HGV applications

As for employment unless you vere applying or the gardai or army id say your grand

hope your feeling better now anyway

Well this was written and received by him on March 2018. GDPR was implemented in May 2018.

Advertisement