Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shipping rifle to Germany for repair

• 20-06-2019 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Any advise on shipping a rifle to Germany for repair?

The background is the rifle needs to go to Germany as the service required is particular to the rifle and so not available from the many excellent custom shops in Ireland.

Are there any shippers/agents who do this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

This is going to be a very interesting thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

And expensive... It's a courier company job,and one that will handle such out of Ireland.Find one of them first that wont screw the pants off you,to the point that booking a return flight to Germany and delivering the rifle yourself is the cheaper option.
    Can we be bold enough to ask what company you rifle i made by?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 8 901Fan

The rifle is a Mauser 66 and I need to have the trigger switched from the German double triggers to a single trigger. The work is done by the engineer who was involved in managing the production of the 66 at the Mauser factory in the early 70s. Quirky I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Cant be too hard. Lakelands sent a friends blaser back to Germany a few months ago under warranty and it was back within 2 weeks

Cant be too hard. Lakelands sent a friends blaser back to Germany a few months ago under warranty and it was back within 2 weeks

THAT was a warranty job - THIS is a voluntary conversion on a much-loved but very unusual rifle.

Join the 'rare rifle club' and pay the price, I'm afraid. Talking to my LGS, he said he'd be amazed to see any change out of £1000. Not including the conversion, of course.

Best to suck it up, eh?

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    THAT was a warranty job - THIS is a voluntary conversion on a much-loved but very unusual rifle.

Join the 'rare rifle club' and pay the price, I'm afraid. Talking to my LGS, he said he'd be amazed to see any change out of £1000. Not including the conversion, of course.

Best to suck it up, eh?

I know that but it still had to be courier to Germany like the rifle above. That cant cost 1000 quid surely? Can it? Like a firearm is a firearm in the shipping conpanys eyes. Rare rife club or not.

Let's see what happens, eh?

Have you seen the price of even a second-hand Mauser 66? Not even the 66SP? The guys in the customs shed are going to have a field day when this baby eventually comes home.

Have you seen the price of even a second-hand Mauser 66? Not even the 66SP? The guys in the customs shed are going to have a field day when this baby eventually comes home.

I have just checked them out now! :( Noting simple with this aul hobby!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Hack12

Not sure about getting it to Germany but coming back Germans usually courier the gun in two seperate parcels. I'm not sure if this is a German legal requirement or not. Just one to watch on costs..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Mauser 66, the telescoping bolt. A chap I know in France has one, don't know the calibre but the bolt is so smooth, like butter on oil on a slippery slope.

• Advertisement

Errr...Why? There is no customs duties on goods/repairs within the EU?:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Hack12 wrote: »
    Not sure about getting it to Germany but coming back Germans usually courier the gun in two seperate parcels. I'm not sure if this is a German legal requirement or not. Just one to watch on costs..[/

Must be a new thing then..Mine arrived in one packet via An Post handling Deutsche Post/DHL.

Was thinking on this.Might be a very long shot but there is/was a German lad up around Broadford in Co Clare,by the name of Ralf Niebauer,he does/did/used to be the man for Mauser stuff in Ireland.Dunno if he is still there or alive or??But Cal Ward ,of ISD fame knew him and mentioned him a good few times in his ISD articles.Cal posts here on boards occasionally,so maybe shoot him off a PM to see if he has any contact details for Ralf,and maybe he might be able to help you out?

For a 1000 euros courier cost,I'd suggest buying a Lufthansa/Aer Lingus return ticket from Dublin to point X in Germany,getting your EU firearms passport,and taking yourself over for a weekend break,while your man works his magic on your rifle and come home with some change for the petrol and a takeaway,or get him to send the rifle home when finished.Be cheaper and easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 901Fan

Hi All,

Firstly many thanks for all the replies its much appreciated. My thought process is to do as a advised and take it there myself. I have it on an EU firearms passport already so this seams the most painless way.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

901Fan wrote: »
    Hi All,

Firstly many thanks for all the replies its much appreciated. My thought process is to do as a advised and take it there myself. I have it on an EU firearms passport already so this seams the most painless way.

Cheers

Remember that when you bring it yourself, the airline will also charge you an additional fee for carrying the gun. I can't remember how much it was when I was last in Germany but I think it was over €50. We had to pay that fee each way.

I'd guess you'll have to fly with Aer Lingus as Ryanair won't let you fly with the gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Remember that when you bring it yourself, the airline will also charge you an additional fee for carrying the gun. I can't remember how much it was when I was last in Germany but I think it was over €50. We had to pay that fee each way.

I'd guess you'll have to fly with Aer Lingus as Ryanair won't let you fly with the gun.

Ryanair don't let you fly with sfa.

BattleCorp wrote: »

True it is 50 euro return from Germany,but Aer Lingus/Lufthansa can be "nice " ;)about it too in Dublin betimes.
    Indeed forget Ryanair they wont carry firearms.Not because of any idealogy,but because it faffs about too much with their time and turnaround on the ground.

Advertisement