Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor fees more than fine

Options
  • 18-06-2019 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice here on a legal issue. In 2015 I was caught on a speeding camera (doing 56 kph in a 50 kph zone ), I did not see the speeding van and I had just moved address so I never got the fixed charge notice. There was a summons that followed but that was never served to me, summons was again sent to my previous address. I found out from the guards that this was never signed and was just returned. I got a warrant for my arrest last year and was asked to come into court the next day. I did go into court and said i would try to appeal the fine which was now 300 euro. I was given a court date to return in a few months. Fast forward a few months and i again went to court to appeal the fine. I tried to state my case and the judge just assigned me a solicitor and gave me a new court date. I wasnt sure on the date but solicitor was sure, he said it was 20th and was actually wrong, so another bench warrant and after showing up another court date was given.I told the solicitor im only appealing because of 300 euro fine as it has been 3 years since 5 points were given to me so these were off my license. Finally we got the fine struck out at the next court date. The problem is that the solicitor now billed me for 400 euro. I thought it would have been free since the judge assigned me a solicitor. I did not ask for one, did not sign any contracts and certainly wasn't given any indication of his fees. I've been to court 6 times over this (twice with a solicitor), 4 times in a different county as that was where the offense occurred so I've had to take all these days off work. I would have just preferred to pay the fine if i knew i would have to pay solicitor more to get it struck off. Do I have any comeback here or do i have to pay solicitor full amount. I would have thought solicitor should make his fees clear before the final day or court.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Sorry, legal advice not allowed on this forum. Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement