Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.

The 7th Annual Irish Beer Mile Championships. Saturday 21st September 2019

2

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭ aquinn


    Going to give this a go. Not sure how I can practice without looking very suspicious?! .. heads out the door with running gear and beers :pac:


    Hannibal Smith a few years ago did this in her back garden as training. She posted a picture as far as I can remember and had a path worn around the garden.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭ Murph_D


    I ended up doing a beer mile in Stuttgart last weekend too! Managed 8:35 even though if was at the end of a day of heavy drinking and not long after a 20km run, so I should be on form for our beer mile this year :-D :-D

    That's an incredible improvement on last year. Well done.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭ HelenAnne


    I'm out, I'm afraid. My drinking practice hasn't been going well! However, I'm going to come over and be chief crew to my husband.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭ Chivito550


    HelenAnne wrote: »
    I'm out, I'm afraid. My drinking practice hasn't been going well! However, I'm going to come over and be chief crew to my husband.

    Training only needs to begin the week before. Even the great Josh Harris only starts beer reps the week before. Focus on the running til then, with some nice slow beers in the pub.

    People are over-complicating this way too much.

    You won’t regret giving this a go.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭ HelenAnne


    Chivito550 wrote: »
    Training only needs to begin the week before. Even the great Josh Harris only starts beer reps the week before. Focus on the running til then, with some nice slow beers in the pub.

    People are over-complicating this way too much.

    You won’t regret giving this a go.

    :pac::pac:
    I was being completely tongue-in-cheek when I said 'beer training' / 'drinking practice' :) - I've no more been going out drinking and running and doing over-complicated training ... :)

    I just meant, since it's summer and barbecue season, I've been having the odd mid-week beer more often than I usually do, and I've been forced to admit that really my limit is about a pint and a half, so I actually have no desire to drink 4 beers in a row, running or no running.

    So I'll come along and 'crew' for Eoin.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭ juke


    HelenAnne wrote: »
    :pac::pac:
    I was being completely tongue-in-cheek when I said 'beer training' / 'drinking practice' :) - I've no more been going out drinking and running and doing over-complicated training ... :)

    I just meant, since it's summer and barbecue season, I've been having the odd mid-week beer more often than I usually do, and I've been forced to admit that really my limit is about a pint and a half, so I actually have no desire to drink 4 beers in a row, running or no running.

    So I'll come along and 'crew' for Eoin.

    Yeah - 4 beers like that would be a lot for me - I am very messy drunk :o


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭ HelenAnne


    juke wrote: »
    Yeah - 4 beers like that would be a lot for me - I am very messy drunk :o

    I just find I have a hangover after literally a can of beer! Four would be way too many! But I'm happy to come and watch


  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭ morceli


    Chivito550 wrote: »
    Training only needs to begin the week before. Even the great Josh Harris only starts beer reps the week before. Focus on the running til then, with some nice slow beers in the pub.

    People are over-complicating this way too much.

    You won’t regret giving this a go.
    I'll prob just do one beer rep session or 3x400m with 2 beers a week before and that will be me done. Will rely on my years of beer drinking to get me through the event.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭ Chivito550


    Where can I get Brooklyn Lager in Dublin? Used to be so easy to get. Now I can't seem to find it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭ HelenAnne


    Chivito550 wrote: »
    Where can I get Brooklyn Lager in Dublin? Used to be so easy to get. Now I can't seem to find it.

    Tesco! My husband got some at the weekend.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭ eoinín


    HelenAnne wrote: »
    Tesco! My husband got some at the weekend.

    4 cans for €10!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭ HelenAnne


    eoinín wrote: »
    4 cans for €10!

    Eoinin is the husband I referred to.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭ Chivito550


    Tried 2 Supervalus and a Tesco today and no joy. Also tried my local off licence and they don't have it. They said they'll order it in but touch and go whether I'll have it in time. I want to have it for a few practice chugs too on Thursday.

    I'm picky. It must be bottles, not cans.

    I've picked up some Moosehead as a backup in the meantime.


  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭ eoinín


    Chivito550 wrote: »
    Tried 2 Supervalus and a Tesco today and no joy. Also tried my local off licence and they don't have it. They said they'll order it in but touch and go whether I'll have it in time. I want to have it for a few practice chugs too on Thursday.

    I'm picky. It must be bottles, not cans.

    I've picked up some Moosehead as a backup in the meantime.

    get it delivered!

    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=292249940


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭ Chivito550


    eoinín wrote: »

    Do they have bottles?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭ Chivito550


    Did a beer mile with 3 beers, starting with a run (skipping the first beer).

    The runs were about 340m or so according to the watch.

    I used Moosehead for the beer and the splits were:

    30-36-44

    Felt horrendous on the runs. Moosehead doesn't seem to agree with me. Felt I was constantly burping all run and could never relax and up the speed. Kept the runs very easy as a result. Overall time was 10 mins flat.

    My only Moosehead beer mile was my only disaster in the 10+ beer miles I've done. I want to make sure I make that starting like with Brooklyn Lager. I'll be in a much stronger position if I do.

    Post your training updates here folks. Happy beer mile week :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭ HelenAnne


    Who from here is going?


  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ Good jib!


    Not going to this, but out of curiosity, how does the drinking part work?

    Do you have to drink it from the bottle/can, or can you have it poured into a glass to make it easier to gulp it down?


  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocky Seven


    HelenAnne wrote: »
    Who from here is going?
    Hopefully not Mr tri :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭ Itziger


    Good jib! wrote: »
    Not going to this, but out of curiosity, how does the drinking part work?

    Do you have to drink it from the bottle/can, or can you have it poured into a glass to make it easier to gulp it down?

    Don't know about others but I usually get my man to pour it in to a bowl and hand me the specially adapted straw, eco-friendly. Whereby and wherein I proceed to suck up the liquor and jog on, as the kids say.

    Works for me.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭ simonw


    Good jib! wrote: »
    Not going to this, but out of curiosity, how does the drinking part work?

    Do you have to drink it from the bottle/can, or can you have it poured into a glass to make it easier to gulp it down?

    It has to be straight from the bottle or can, no loopholes on the drinking unfortunately!


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭ Chivito550


    No sign of bottles of Brooklyn Lager so have bought cans to test out drinking from cans. Josh Harris messaged me saying avoid cans at all costs, that they slow you down and its easy to leave beer at the bottom.

    Still on the fence. Bad beer from a bottle or better beer from a can?

    Will give the cans a try and report back. Going into uncharted territory sculling from cans despite being a veteran of 9 beer miles.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭ Chivito550


    Chivito550 wrote: »
    Did a beer mile with 3 beers, starting with a run (skipping the first beer).

    The runs were about 340m or so according to the watch.

    I used Moosehead for the beer and the splits were:

    30-36-44

    Felt horrendous on the runs. Moosehead doesn't seem to agree with me. Felt I was constantly burping all run and could never relax and up the speed. Kept the runs very easy as a result. Overall time was 10 mins flat.

    My only Moosehead beer mile was my only disaster in the 10+ beer miles I've done. I want to make sure I make that starting like with Brooklyn Lager. I'll be in a much stronger position if I do.

    Post your training updates here folks. Happy beer mile week :)

    Did the same session as the above only with 400m runs instead of 340m and cans of Brooklyn Lager instead of bottles of Moosehead.

    Splits were 27 - 29 - 29

    Yikes. Best session I've ever done. Are cans the secret? Other than the bit of foam at the start the stuff sailed down.

    Much easier to drink than Moosehead too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 36 DrDrankEngine


    Good jib! wrote: »
    Not going to this, but out of curiosity, how does the drinking part work?

    Do you have to drink it from the bottle/can, or can you have it poured into a glass to make it easier to gulp it down?

    It's straight from the bottle/can and there's no shotgunning or snorkeling. Also it needs to be unopened in advance. Basically these are all to make things consistent


  • Registered Users Posts: 36 DrDrankEngine


    The day has finally arrived 🎉🎉🎉

    Make sure to be a little early today because the race itself starts at 7pm. Let us know if you're running late ðŸ႒🀸


  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭ simonw


    Excitement is building


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ martyboy48


    Who won!!!!!!

    Time/details/video/reports are very much welcome.... And eagerly anticipated :D:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭ Chivito550


    The champ defended his title. Awful conditions.

    Personal worst for me I think. Just didn't happen on the day.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭ simonw


    Thanks again to DrDrankEngine for organising, great fun despite the crappy weather. Came in at 9:08, 20 seconds slower than last year, think it was 6th place


Advertisement