Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chat 2019/20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

Play mathinez away to villa
    Or
    Pope away to Norwich this week?

Pope

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

When’s the new season due to start? Are we looking at a very quick turnaround from season end to when the game goes live?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

When’s the new season due to start? Are we looking at a very quick turnaround from season end to when the game goes live?

Saturday 12th September. It's only a couple of weeks after Champions/Europa League finishes so we might have some different line ups if managers give certain players a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

A bit early but,

Anyone else think Chelsea is going to be a minefield next year with the amount of attacking options they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

A bit early but,

Anyone else think Chelsea is going to be a minefield next year with the amount of attacking options they have?

Potentially. But they definitely have the look of a title winning team in the next year or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

callaway92 wrote: »
    Potentially. But they definitely have the look of a title winning team in the next year or two

Dunno about that, fairly poor defensively this season, think they've conceded the most in the top 10. They need a new CB, LB and GK before they'll win a title I think

• Registered Users Posts: 32,825 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It’s gonna be weird watching City tomorrow and not caring how many all your assets score (although if it’s KDB and Jesus even better) and watching the final day FPL madness without a care for any scores other than the ones in the relegation battle.

Final day FPL is usually my favourite gameweek of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Dunno about that, fairly poor defensively this season, think they've conceded the most in the top 10. They need a new CB, LB and GK before they'll win a title I think

Obviously a few small changes are needed but I think GK-wise they'll probably be fine.

They will splurge money - Their attack is ridiculous now already and with Werner and Ziyech it's as good as you can get really. Like I said, they have the look of a title winning team in the next year or two - That's 4 transfer windows for an already good looking team. When you look at Man City for example they need a refresh altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

A bit early but,

Maybe, maybe not. Willian is on his way out. I can see a front 3 of Pulisic-Werner-Ziyech.

manual_man wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not. Willian is on his way out. I can see a front 3 of Pulisic-Werner-Ziyech.

Havertz signing too though by all accounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Pulisic has the look of a Hazard about him. Still a bit light but once he fills out a bit he could be really good.

Pulisic has the look of a Hazard about him. Still a bit light but once he fills out a bit he could be really good.

Adama Pulisic

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Nearly two-thirds of FPL teams are dead teams.

https://twitter.com/fplstatistics/status/1285288364510310400?s=21

Nearly two-thirds of FPL teams are dead teams.

https://twitter.com/fplstatistics/status/1285288364510310400?s=21

Just as well they did the unlimited transfers to suck all those casuals back in and **** up the serious players in one move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Just as well they did the unlimited transfers to suck all those casuals back in and **** up the serious players in one move.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think the unlimited transfers (Bull$h!t which it undoubtedly was) gave those taking the game seriously a great advantage over casuals.

It was definitely a ploy to get them back playing, but everyone had the opportunity to take full advantage of it.

I'd love to know what percentage of teams were inactive prior to lockdown and cancellation of games. I'd presume it was pretty high also.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

shineon23 wrote: »
    Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think the unlimited transfers (Bull$h!t which it undoubtedly was) gave those taking the game seriously a great advantage over casuals.

It was definitely a ploy to get them back playing, but everyone had the opportunity to take full advantage of it.

I'd love to know what percentage of teams were inactive prior to lockdown and cancellation of games. I'd presume it was pretty high also.

Haha, I think you will find that is an unpopular opinion. I've bolded the part that caused the problem. It's not true because everybody didn't have the same combination of chips left and it gave some dedicated players a big advantage over other dedicated players.

But FPL is always about adjusting to changing circumstances so we can just view it as an extreme version of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,438 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/Raul_Jimenez9/status/1285455599619186689?s=19

Jimi Jr. has arrived. Nicely timed in between games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Hopefully Jimi Snr gets to do a rocking baby goal celebration this weekend:)

I wonder would it ever be on FPL agenda to have like a 'premium' game.

So it would separate the casuals from the serious players. Casuals could have as many teams as they want etc, but serious players couldn't and it would be different price for players etc

Probably never going to happen because of the work involved, would basically be two databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I wonder would it ever be on FPL agenda to have like a 'premium' game.

So it would separate the casuals from the serious players. Casuals could have as many teams as they want etc, but serious players couldn't and it would be different price for players etc

Probably never going to happen because of the work involved, would basically be two databases.
    Wasn't there a "serious game" a few years back? You could make changes after the gameweek had started etc, I never played it myself, but looks to be gone now.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a "serious game" a few years back? You could make changes after the gameweek had started etc, I never played it myself, but looks to be gone now.

I don't recall myself. I would only consider myself a serious player the last 3-4 years. Before that it was create a team and then I'd forget etc.

I don't think since I've been following it closely it existed.Just checked and that was the year 2016/2017

2016/17 2200 67953
    2017/18 2190 148148
    2018/19 2283 79506

Terrible finishes to some on here but definitely would be higher if I preferred OR rank as towards end of season I just cover main rivals etc. Annoyed that 2017/2018 isn't top 100K as this year will likely be another under 100K :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

There was
    Ultimate
    Never took off

Markx wrote: »
    Haha, I think you will find that is an unpopular opinion. I've bolded the part that caused the problem. It's not true because everybody didn't have the same combination of chips left and it gave some dedicated players a big advantage over other dedicated players.

But FPL is always about adjusting to changing circumstances so we can just view it as an extreme version of that :)

But those who used chips or combinations of chips before the break got their advantage in the Gameweek in which they used them. For example I saved my Bench boost for a big double gameweek that never happened.

Unless someone used them between the original gw30-38.
    Not, simply pausing the game or resetting to how things were in March, when matches were paused in real life is only issue I see and allowing people to continue making transfers when no matches were being played.

Everyone got the same chips at the start of the season and the option of unlimited transfers on the restart. Its up to individuals when they played their chips.

shineon23 wrote: »
    But those who used chips or combinations of chips before the break got their advantage in the Gameweek in which they used them. For example I saved my Bench boost for a big double gameweek that never happened.

Unless someone used them between the original gw30-38.
    Not, simply pausing the game or resetting to how things were in March, when matches were paused in real life is only issue I see and allowing people to continue making transfers when no matches were being played.

Everyone got the same chips at the start of the season and the option of unlimited transfers on the restart. Its up to individuals when they played their chips.

I’ve been screwed by everyone that still had a WC and could use unlimited transfers to play an unprecedented 2 chips in one week - unlimited transfers (a new wc) and bench boost in the same GW which is mental. Then the following week they could use their WC for the remainder.

And then the geezers that had used their 2 WC’s and could now use a third one to set up for the remaining fixtures.

I was one of the few (you mentioned) that used a chip during the ‘break’ but only because there was ZERO clarity from the guys that run the website. But they put out a tweet, just after serious players had to second guess them, at a perfect time to catch serious players out. That’s my take on it.

So I lost my WC and I’m now playing playing against guys that have had 3 WC’s and against some that could use an unprecedented 2 chips in one week.

It stinks. They knew what they could/couldn’t do but never told us but they did tell us just after serious players had to second guess them.

Having the ‘option’ to use unlimited transfer meant **** all to the serious players that used a chip (during lockdown) whilst seconding guessing the mutes that run the game.

I’m currently about 8k overall. If I’d kept my WC chip (that I used during lockdown) I reckon I’d easily be top 1k now.

Also no point in telling me I was being too smart. I had to pluck a decision out of the air. We had NO interaction from them. Zero. They sat on their hands for months. Anything was possible.

I’ve had a few glasses of wine and I’m now enjoying a few glasses of port so I hope the above makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

That's interesting, I didn't realise people were following during the down time. I consider myself a serious player but I just tuned off completely once the matches were called off.

I understand why you played the WC, but did you really think that they'd take it off you? I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind playing it - like even if they hadn't done the Unlimited Transfers thing, I'm not sure you'd have been better off unless I'm missing something? You could have just played the WC when things resumed. Or did you think the game would resume with no chips for anyone?

They shouldn't have done Unlimited Transfers imo, but the game is about adapting to unexpected scenarios sometimes. They should have just paused the game completely when the games were suspended.

I’ve been screwed by everyone that still had a WC and could use unlimited transfers to play an unprecedented 2 chips in one week - unlimited transfers (a new wc) and bench boost in the same GW which is mental. Then the following week they could use their WC for the remainder.

And then the geezers that had used their 2 WC’s and could now use a third one to set up for the remaining fixtures.

I was one of the few (you mentioned) that used a chip during the ‘break’ but only because there was ZERO clarity from the guys that run the website. But they put out a tweet, just after serious players had to second guess them, at a perfect time to catch serious players out. That’s my take on it.

So I lost my WC and I’m now playing playing against guys that have had 3 WC’s and against some that could use an unprecedented 2 chips in one week.

It stinks. They knew what they could/couldn’t do but never told us but they did tell us just after serious players had to second guess them.

Having the ‘option’ to use unlimited transfer meant **** all to the serious players that used a chip (during lockdown) whilst seconding guessing the mutes that run the game.

I’m currently about 8k overall. If I’d kept my WC chip (that I used during lockdown) I reckon I’d easily be top 1k now.

Also no point in telling me I was being too smart. I had to pluck a decision out of the air. We had NO interaction from them. Zero. They sat on their hands for months. Anything was possible.
    I’ve had a few glasses of wine and I’m now enjoying a few glasses of port so I hope the above makes sense.

Yes, the lack of communication is my issue with them alright. FPL Towers' complete ineptitude to offer information and to let players know what was going on regards the game sooner.

I suppose that is the exception, chips used and wasted during the break.

I made a couple of transfers during the break to try sort out my bench, then stopped as I didn't see the point anymore after gw 31 or 32.

I didn't use chips for a couple of reasons but all boiled down to no communication and clarity,
    I don't trust them at all, there was people on about using TC/Bench Boost in gw38 in the hope that all fixtures were to be lumped in there.

I think the game should either have been paused or reset to how things were before the break, but this was probably too difficult for them to figure out.

The website needs a serious overhaul, live scores and tables surely can't be that difficult to pull off. I'd love to see that added. I had a chrome plug in a couple of seasons ago that offered something like this but it stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Damn he really looks like a Hispanic version of Walter Jr from breaking bad in that picture...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Any price yet?

• Advertisement

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Damn he really looks like a Hispanic version of Walter Jr from breaking bad in that picture...

Hahaha now that you’ve said it I can’t not see it

Advertisement