Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Civil Service Mobility

  • 11-06-2019 2:27pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 19 Rcfp


    Hi lads, the next phase of the civil service mobility programme is due to kick off for Dublin this friday. I'm looking to move to a north Dublin department. At the minute the only two that come to mind are the passport office in Balbriggan and the CSO office in Swords. Do any of you happen to know of anymore departments out that way?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭ DoctorDre


    Social Welfare in Balbriggan.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 ✭✭✭ Kfagan10


    This map shows offices by location, I'm not sure how complete or up to date it is;

    https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=83eb12efc9c7478a982d39a89f759663


  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Rcfp


    Kfagan10 wrote: »
    This map shows offices by location, I'm not sure how complete or up to date it is;

    https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=83eb12efc9c7478a982d39a89f759663

    Brilliant. Thank you very much for that!


  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ loudymacloud


    Is the next Phase, Phase 1B not restricted to moves within a certain distance from the core location area, or did i read that wrong

    III. In general, staff members moving to or within Zone 46 will be assigned to an office in the core location area.

    o The core location area includes all offices within a 4km straight-line radius from the G.P.O., O’Connell Street (please see Zone 46 on Interactive Mobility Map at https://hr.per.gov.ie/civil-service-mobility/)

    o An exception to this general rule is where the organisational headquarters are located outside of the core location area e.g. NSSO, Clonskeagh and Presidents Establishment, Phoenix Park.



    Meaning a move as far out as Balbriggan or the Airport is a no go.

    I too am looking to move in that general direction


  • Registered Users Posts: 22 lolo3103


    We were completely mislead with the Dublin Mobility. Everybody was under the impression that Mobility would give people the opportunity to work in a Dept that would improve your work life balance i.e shorter commute . Now they are telling us that in order to apply for your desired location you have to first apply to the core Department of that Office 4km from the GPO and then after one year you may apply for an internal transfer, sure how long will that take??! I am currently on secondment and the location is ideal for me, I was relying on the Dublin Mobility when my secondment finishes so I don't have to go back to town. So now it looks like I have to back to town but apply for a different department and then apply once again in order to get out of town! Plus I could end up in an office where the location is even worse, my choices are limited as I can only get the commuter train. Is this the feeling amongst everyone and their colleagues??


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ loudymacloud


    lolo3103 wrote: »
    We were completely mislead with the Dublin Mobility. Everybody was under the impression that Mobility would give people the opportunity to work in a Dept that would improve your work life balance i.e shorter commute . Now they are telling us that in order to apply for your desired location you have to first apply to the core Department of that Office 4km from the GPO and then after one year you may apply for an internal transfer, sure how long will that take??! I am currently on secondment and the location is ideal for me, I was relying on the Dublin Mobility when my secondment finishes so I don't have to go back to town. So now it looks like I have to back to town but apply for a different department and then apply once again in order to get out of town! Plus I could end up in an office where the location is even worse, my choices are limited as I can only get the commuter train. Is this the feeling amongst everyone and their colleagues??


    Yes it is. I currently work in the "core location" why in the hell would i want to move 500 yards down the road :(

    I was looking to move out towards North County Dublin. but going by the info released the other day that is no looking too likely


  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ loudymacloud


    emailed people point about it and that indeed is the case.

    if you want to move to an office outside of that 4km zone, you first have to apply for a transfer to one of the core location departments. Move to that department, then apply for another internal transfer but only after completing 1 year in the new place first.

    So that rules out a move for most people i would assume.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22 lolo3103


    Yep it definitely is the case. I don't know why they even bothered with this mobility, you've to do your 1 year in the core office and then apply for an internal transfer sure god knows how long that will take it could be years before it happens, they should have just kept the central transfer list I don't see much of a difference!! Mobility is supposed to be an option for Civil Service to move freely and easily, absolutely nothing easy about this. It is so disappointing. I wonder if there's any point going to the Union about this? I get the impression that a lot of people feel mislead by the whole thing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ loudymacloud


    its a bit pointless alright.

    i very much doubt the Union can or will do anything about it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ Butterfly182


    That's sickening if this is the case. I am also working in the city centre trying to get to North County Dublin.

    I am through to interview stage for the EO 2018 campaign for Dublin. I haven't got an interview date yet but I imagine the interview is going to be awkward. I'm already an established EO looking for mobility.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭ AulWan


    I don't think thats new? I've been in the civil service since 1988 and even back then it was the case with some departments, certainly some of the bigger ones, that you had to transfer to the parent department first and then transfer internally. It was the luck of the draw of what department you were assigned to, whether you got out to the suburbs or not.

    Unfortunately for me, my department never had any offices outside the city centre. I applied on the central transfer list for other Deparments that had offices on the southside of Dublin in 1994 and to this day I've never been offered anything, because they always had enough staff from their own departments willing to move out to the suburbs.


  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ EB_2013


    I was just wondering has anyone else's HR department circulated to all staff regarding the mobility launch this week. I've been keeping an eye on the mobility site myself but there has been nothing from my department regarding it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ Butterfly182


    AulWan wrote: »
    I don't think thats new? I've been in the civil service since 1988 and even back then it was the case with some departments, certainly some of the bigger ones, that you had to transfer to the parent department first and then transfer internally. It was the luck of the draw of what department you were assigned to, whether you got out to the suburbs or not.

    Unfortunately for me, my department never had any offices outside the city centre. I applied on the central transfer list for other Deparments that had offices on the southside of Dublin in 1994 and to this day I've never been offered anything, because they always had enough staff from their own departments willing to move out to the suburbs.

    I'm already in a Deasp office in Dublin city. Could I use mobility to get to the Deasp office in Balbriggan?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭ AulWan


    EB_2013 wrote: »
    I was just wondering has anyone else's HR department circulated to all staff regarding the mobility launch this week. I've been keeping an eye on the mobility site myself but there has been nothing from my department regarding it.
    Mine did.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭ AulWan


    I'm already in a Deasp office in Dublin city. Could I use mobility to get to the Deasp office in Balbriggan?

    As far as I know you can still apply for an internal transfer to any location within your own department, so I would think so, but I'm open to correction on that. Contact your HR.


  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ✭✭✭ Jerry the Beard


    That's sickening if this is the case. I am also working in the city centre trying to get to North County Dublin.

    I am through to interview stage for the EO 2018 campaign for Dublin. I haven't got an interview date yet but I imagine the interview is going to be awkward. I'm already an established EO looking for mobility.

    I thought you be ineligible for that competition as you are already at the level


  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ Butterfly182


    I thought you be ineligible for that competition as you are already at the level

    I'm on the open stream and I asked PAS whether I could apply for the other stream and they didn't say that I couldn't so I'm on both.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22 lolo3103


    AulWan wrote: »
    I don't think thats new? I've been in the civil service since 1988 and even back then it was the case with some departments, certainly some of the bigger ones, that you had to transfer to the parent department first and then transfer internally. It was the luck of the draw of what department you were assigned to, whether you got out to the suburbs or not.

    You're right it is essentially the Central Transfer list, they just tried to fancy it up but they completely misinterpreted what "Mobility" has to offer. They made out that it will be so much easier and more efficient for people to transfer to different locations that will suit their needs i.e. shorter commuter or personal reasons They never mentioned anything about transferring to the Parent Department first. That's why everybody was so excited about this project when it started last year. We all thought it would give everybody a fair chance when it came to transferring. Like myself, a lot of people work in small departments that don't have connecting offices outside of the city so that already adds to you're waiting time because you have to wait one full year in a new organisation before you can even apply. So there some people who will be at an advantage than others which seems unfair because they said that this Mobility will be fair and transparent. I probably should know by now that nothing is straightforward in the Civil Service!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JasmineROC


    From my reading I understand that you don't have to wait 1 year but can apply on the first day of your move to the new department. It mentions that in general you will have to remain in the centre location for at least a year, so this could mean that if needed a department can move you before this if there is a vacancy in a suburb office and you are at the top of their internal list.
    Correct me if I am wrong but there never was a Central Transfer List for moves in Dublin - this was for moves to regional locations only.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Lilred66


    Central transfer lists were only for moves out of Dublin to country locations. I think that some Depts kept transfer lists but not all of them.
    I think that the new scheme is fair as they all have to use it now and it gives everyone a chance to move no matter what dept they are from.
    I wonder how many people have moved on the 1st phase so far. Anyone on this get offered a move to the country?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 lolo3103


    Lilred66 wrote: »
    Central transfer lists were only for moves out of Dublin to country locations. I think that some Depts kept transfer lists but not all of them.
    I think that the new scheme is fair as they all have to use it now and it gives everyone a chance to move no matter what dept they are from.
    I wonder how many people have moved on the 1st phase so far. Anyone on this get offered a move to the country?

    I think it is fair to a degree as in it gives everyone a chance to move, but myself and many of my colleagues and other friends of mine in the Civil Service were under the impression that you could choose your desired Dept in your desired location. Like myself and my other colleagues we have been working in the City Centre for 15 plus years and for many of us we would like to work closer to home for various of reasons, so we thought this was the way forward, we didn't realise that we would have to stay in the City Centre for a minimum of a year in our chosen Dept. It's just a bit disappointing because they have been talking about this Mobility for a long time and it seems that it is going to be another long process to get where you want.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭ AulWan


    lolo3103 wrote: »
    I think it is fair to a degree as in it gives everyone a chance to move, but myself and many of my colleagues and other friends of mine in the Civil Service were under the impression that you could choose your desired Dept in your desired location. Like myself and my other colleagues we have been working in the City Centre for 15 plus years and for many of us we would like to work closer to home for various of reasons, so we thought this was the way forward, we didn't realise that we would have to stay in the City Centre for a minimum of a year in our chosen Dept. It's just a bit disappointing because they have been talking about this Mobility for a long time and it seems that it is going to be another long process to get where you want.

    And there is no guarantee after a year that there will be a vacancy for you to move too.

    You could easily be years waiting for your number to come up, so in reality, little has changed for Dublin.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22 lolo3103


    AulWan wrote: »
    And there is no guarantee after a year that there will be a vacancy for you to move too.

    You could easily be years waiting for your number to come up, so in reality, little has changed for Dublin.

    Exactly, god knows how long you would be waiting for. It was wishful thinking on my part that this was too good to be true!


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭ Turtyturd


    It’s been a shambles from the start tbh.

    In my department the union tried to stop it being initiated in the first place. We are also not part of the system used to process applications so any of my staff that want to avail of it need to fill out a separate form. As they are not on the system they cannot get an update on their position. Initially Peoplepoint were sending out emails every couple of months updating people of their positions but they deemed that to be too time consuming so they stopped. When they ask how long this is going to continue on for they’re bounced back and forth between Peoplepoint and HR.

    And then even if it is approved it has to be agreed to by the higher ups before the staff member can be released.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Hey,

    Just wondering has anyones department or office suspended Mobility.

    Our office suspended it today, I could see it coming with the Covid as it's a public office likely to see more traffic.

    Wondering has it happened in other departments or offices.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭✭ allabella


    Yes mobility has been suspended in my Dept too. You can still apply but no moves will happen while the pandemic is going on


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭ Bridget Wrong Terrain


    Mobility is stopped service wide


  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ Steph1234


    Hi, just wondering has anyone got a move outside Dublin lately? (EO)

    I'm wondering if they're doing anything to make up the ratios. I heard that open and interdepartmental competitions were still going throughout, so they should be looking to balance the ratios accordingly?

    Although this is wishful thinking. Haven't moved up a place for a certain department in 2 years.



  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Sophia Petrillo


    😀



  • Advertisement
Advertisement