Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding deceased's funeral directions

Options
  • 24-05-2019 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

My friend uncle passed away. Funeral Tuesday. How do they find out their solicitor to find out her funeral requests

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

In any case where a testator made particular directions re funeral etc I have ensured, with the testator's permission, that the executor is informed of these while the testator is still with us..
    If you don't know yet who the executor is the undertaker will be able to tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

nuac wrote: »
    In any case where a testator made particular directions re funeral etc I have ensured, with the testator's permission, that the executor is informed of these while the testator is still with us..
    If you don't know yet who the executor is the undertaker will be able to tell you

So the funeral home should have access to that information?...
    The situation is they don’t know it is or certainly the funeral place has not informed them
    Very small family so they really need to find out soon for the funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Unless the deceased told someone who their solicitor was when alive, I don't see how anyone could know.
    It was bad foresight by the deceased while alive.
    Not much you can do really.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Unless the deceased made someone aware either of their wishes or of their solicitor there is not a lot that can be done in the short time available to ensure any extant wishes or requests are located.

Advising a solicitor of funeral wishes is utterly pointless given the usual 3 day turn around on Irish Death > Funeral.
    Whilst a solicitor would often hold the will, holding funeral wishes unless they are holding a PoA or similar is not common in my experience.

OP it may well be that you cannot find anyone with knowledge of your Uncle's preferred funerary wishes.
    In that case, speak to the undertaker and those who knew him best and shape a service around that.

Regarding the actual estate residue.
    In the event that no solicitor holds a copy of a will, then the succession acts would apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How can an undertaker identify the executor?

Wouldn't most undertakers take directions from the next of kin? And have nothing to do with the will or the solicitor who drew it up, let alone know if there even is a will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

nothing posted on rip.ie i take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Unless your uncle left wishes with the funeral home it's more than likely his wishes wont be known in time.

No point making your wishes known to a solicitor. Always deal with the funeral home and tell a member or your family. Ask the funeral home had he made pre arrangements. Check all the local funeral homes

CptMackey wrote: »
    Unless your uncle left wishes with the funeral home it's more than likely his wishes wont be known in time.

Who makes their wishes known to a local funeral home?
    No point making your wishes known to a solicitor.

+1 You might as well tell the barman in your local.
    Always deal with the funeral home and tell a member or your family. Ask the funeral home had he made pre arrangements. Check all the local funeral homes

I think you have this totally the wrong way round. What a person needs to do is let a family member know their preferences and hopefully the family will respect those wishes when they make arrangements with a local undertaker.

After you die, it's your family who have to make arrangements and pay for the funeral. An undertaker can tell the family that the deceased expressed a wish for a gold casket, a horse-drawn hearse and a lead-lined grave but that counts for zilch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

coylemj wrote: »
    How can an undertaker identify the executor?

Wouldn't most undertakers take directions from the next of kin? And have nothing to do with the will or the solicitor who drew it up, let alone know if there even is a will.

My experience is that undertakers like to get instructions frem the executor, if only to ensure that they will be paid without delay

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bowlardo wrote: »
    So the funeral home should have access to that information?...
    The situation is they don’t know it is or certainly the funeral place has not informed them
    Very small family so they really need to find out soon for the funeral
    They follow instructions of the deceased family usually and as stated above they will want to get paid, usually fairly promptly. You need to find the will or his solicitor and the executor of the will. As regards the funeral, get together with the rest of the family and see what's best. In the absence of actual instructions what they think he would have liked is the easiest way to do it. Sorry for your loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Who makes their wishes known to a local funeral home?
    My dad has left a very detailed letter with the local funeral home detailing his final wishes.

I don't think it is that uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

My dad has left a very detailed letter with the local funeral home detailing his final wishes.

I don't think it is that uncommon.
    But his effort would have been wasted if his family didn't know he'd done that. They might have gone to a different undertaker, and the existence of the letter would not have come to light.

If you have wishes about how your funeral should go, the people who need to know about this are your next of kin. They are the ones who will make all the decisions regarding your funeral. If you're not comfortable talking to them about it, then talk to someone else but make sure that your next of kin know that you have done this, and know who you have spoken to.. Otherwise you may as well save your breath.

When the time comes, what will your family do if that undertaker quotes an outrageous fee for the funeral as specified by your father?

I'd agree with Peregrinus above, the people you should inform of your wishes are your next of kin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My experience is that undertakers like to get instructions frem the executor, if only to ensure that they will be paid without delay

In Ireland (outside of Dublin) if you die on Monday you will be in the funeral home/laid out at home on Tuesday evening and in the graveyard/crematorium suitably dispatched on Wednesday and undertakers take instructions from the immediate family and bill the family member who made the arrangements.
    Never once would they look for the executor of a will not least because there may not be a will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Bowlardo wrote: »
    My friend uncle passed away. Funeral Tuesday. How do they find out their solicitor to find out her funeral requests

Uncle/ her funeral requests? was it uncle or aunt who died?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Radio5 wrote: »
    Uncle/ her funeral requests? was it uncle or aunt who died?

I’d say the OP’s friend is a girl

Advertisement