Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter providing IP address (Europe)

Options
  • 21-05-2019 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    First off, this tweet was not threatening, hate speech, illegal, or doxing in any way.

There was an insult, and some location info - but city level - nothing to ID anyone NO ADDRESS.

Also no names given.
    Sorry for the vagueness but someone put 2+2 together and are threateing employer - now they have no solid evidence , just twitter username.

My understanding is legally they have nothing - unless they ask Twitter to give the IP address ?

Can Twitter do this ? I realise if it were serious and police were involved they would - but with above info being accurate does GDPR protect me ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If twitter are court ordered they have to give up that information or not (legal discussion on its own tbh)

Its not GDPR if its court ordered, its a criminal/defamation thing then.

So if its not going to court, you are fine.

Your job could sack you if you posted it whilst on their network or if breaches their social media policy (if they have one).

sorry for the vagueness but post is vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

dreamers75 wrote: »
    If twitter are court ordered they have to give up that information or not (legal discussion on its own tbh)

Its not GDPR if its court ordered, its a criminal/defamation thing then.

So if its not going to court, you are fine.

Your job could sack you if you posted it whilst on their network or if breaches their social media policy (if they have one).

sorry for the vagueness but post is vague.
    No problem thanks for the reply.
    But to be court ordered, surely it would need some merit ?
    like if it were a threat, hate speech etc ?

It has none of that , so I would think there could be no court order ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

The start of a defamation action (depending on what was said) could be enough merit for a court order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

The start of a defamation action (depending on what was said) could be enough merit for a court order.
    wasn't defamatory, was literally just calling him a scumbag..

TomSweeney wrote: »

:rolleyes:

No...Nope........naw... Can't see that being a problem....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

TomSweeney wrote: »

I can't imagine Twitter would provide an IP address unless they were legally compelled to do so and I can't imagine any criminal investigations or court cases arising out of some eejit walking into a Garda station complaining that someone called him a scumbag on Twitter! So you'll be grand.

All that happened here was the guy got so butthurt at being called a scumbag so they went mad searching for as much information as they possibly could on you (which is fairly sad of him if you think about it). The guy is just trying to rattle your cage, the fact you've posted here with your query suggests that may have worked unfortunately.

File it under experience and move on.

Nic_Col wrote: »
    I can't imagine Twitter would provide an IP address unless they were legally compelled to do so and I can't imagine any criminal investigations or court cases arising out of some eejit walking into a Garda station complaining that someone called him a scumbag on Twitter! So you'll be grand.

All that happened here was the guy got so butthurt at being called a scumbag so they went mad searching for as much information as they possibly could on you (which is fairly sad of him if you think about it). The guy is just trying to rattle your cage, the fact you've posted here with your query suggests that may have worked unfortunately.

File it under experience and move on.

Try google "transgender twitter hate crimes"

Context is key.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Closed for mod review

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement