Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Hansons Method

18911131417

Comments



  • All the best to everyone, wasn't able to follow the plan as well as I would have liked but hopefully I will still get around tomorrow. Be interesting to see feedback on all those that did the plan 100% and whether they pb'd.

    Did anyone? ;)




  • Murph_D wrote: »
    Did anyone? ;)

    Ferris B




  • Well there's your answer then. Train for 2:55 and run 2:55. :)

    2:55:27

    Also including a few miles with Krusty :)




  • I'm gonna post a detailed report later on my Hanson experience this time round, but the summary is the plan definitely works.


    p.s. It appears the Singer plan also works and probably even better.
    When's that book out?? :)




  • yaboya1 wrote:
    p.s. It appears the Singer plan also works and probably even better. When's that book out??

    Singers Harkrun Method


  • Advertisement


  • What a day! We've all heard about the support and the atmosphere but I was blown away. Felt strong up to around 37k. Last 5k was head down tunnel vision stuff. Finished in 3.05 something. Pretty much even pace so very happy with that.

    Well done everyone. Hope you're all happy with time. Well done Singer, great run!




  • Ferris B

    Yes Ferris and yaboya followed to the letter, but they don't log here anymore unfortunately. They both had an excellent day yesterday.




  • yaboya1 wrote: »
    I'm gonna post a detailed report later on my Hanson experience this time round, but the summary is the plan definitely works.


    p.s. It appears the Singer plan also works and probably even better.
    When's that book out?? :)

    Just give us the finishing time and maybe Half split in the meantime. The suspense is killing me.




  • I followed the plan pretty well up to about week 14 but then travelling to US with work, getting sick and not having the time anymore in the morning to get out for the runs meant I only got 6 runs in total in October including the marathon.

    For me as somebody who wasn't used to running more than 40-50km a week it was a huge step up in volume. In total I ran 969km in the first 14weeks but only got 131km including the marathon in the last 4 weeks. I trained for 3:30 paces but struggled then on the longer runs and my revised target after a few weeks was 3:40. The biggest difficulty I really had with the plan was the length of time you need to do it. Doing almost 2 hours training for the Tuesday and Thursday sessions was just very hard to fit into work and family life.

    Overall though the plan did stand to me by just getting in shear volume of miles I'm not 100% sure I would follow it again mainly due to the time demands. In saying that any serious marathon plan will involve similar distances.

    Due to the last 4 weeks I really wasn't sure where I was actually at as was still recovering from the cold and energy levels where very for last 2 weeks. I said I would start out at 5:20min/km and see how it went from there. I averaged about 5:22min/km up to 30km and after that I faded a bit and walked a few parts and managed to get across the line at 3:52 for a 6min PB. Was very happy with that in the end, if the last 4 weeks hadn't of gone as they did I think I could have managed a 3:40 but also feel I will smash that next year as I've gone from 87kg to 80kg this year at 5'9" and plan to get down to 75kg and work further on strength and conditioning over the winter.

    Will aim over the winter to get faster at 5km and 10km so will have the extra speed in the legs and try again to break the sub 20min 5km.




  • Well............in a nutshell, the plan works. I was really good at following the plan and despite not hitting the shorter interval target times and missed the last two 10 mile mp tempo's I headed off to run Dublin.

    First disaster, I'm sitting in the Davenport Hotel hiding from the cold and thinking to myself "where is my Garmin"......oh **** its still plugged into the charger at home, schoolboy error but tried to block out the thought of running without.

    Off to the start and find the 3.20 pacers and tuck in. I have to say these three lads are the best at what they do, great craic and so much encouragement. I'm not going to go through it mile by mile cause I cant, remember......no watch, but as long as I had the balloons in sight I was happy. Turning onto the N11 the lads kinda went for it and I got a little detached from the group and was faced with a dilemma, will I try to close the gap or just stick where I am. Decided on the latter as putting in an effort at that stage could have seen me bonked at the RDS. It was such a difference to still feel strong (relatively) so late into it but thats what Hanson does for you. My target was 3.20 and finished on 3.20.54 so I'm delighted having had a bad run in Boston and struggled home in 3.33. It's a pb for me in my second incarnation as a runner. I took a 27 year break from the sport !!

    PS I didnt miss the watch one bit. In fact it was refreshing not to be checking it constantly and fretting if I was ahead or behind pace.


  • Advertisement


  • Itziger wrote: »
    Just give us the finishing time and maybe Half split in the meantime. The suspense is killing me.

    No sub 3 attempt or result.
    Does that satisfy you for now?:D




  • yaboya1 wrote: »
    No sub 3 attempt or result.
    Does that satisfy you for now?:D

    Meh, Not sub 3..........

    Good to see you back though.

    Ferocious amount of Valencia Marathon tickets for sale on the FaceBook page.

    Just sayin'. You could do a Scullion on it.




  • Ok love the Hanson plan ... was my fourth stand alone marathon (if u don’t count 3 Ironmans ) . Oslo 3.09 , Boston 3.22, Boston 3.23 , Dublin 3.12 . I found myself with the 3.10 pacers at the start . Plan was to average 7 min miles for the first 5 . Was still with the 3.10 pacers after Castleknock then decided to kick on . Went thru halfway in 1.33.33 . Found the course profile difficult . 3.10 pacers were never more than 300 m behind me and they came by me at 21 miles . In hindsight I should have stuck with them instead of kicking on after 8 miles. Re the plan I should have done my tempos on the road as opposed to the track or cinder track around our training field . More road running required but I’ll be following Hanson for my half marathon in the Spring . You have to take the bad with the good . Delighted for everyone that nailed it !




  • Bit of background for context.
    I’ve previously run two sub 3 marathons, but the last one of those was almost 5 years ago. I’ve been struggling for fitness for various reasons since then. The most recent marathon I’d trained properly for was London 2017, where I followed the Hanson plan. However, I was far too ambitious with my training paces and felt like I burnt myself out in the process. In the race itself I ran out of gas at 20 miles, shuffling home in 3:06 having been on target for sub 3 with 10k to go. The biggest lesson I learnt there was to train to current fitness, rather than goal or past levels. I had full faith in the plan though and never thought that was a contributor to my downfall.
    I felt compelled to give it another go the next time I was having any sort of serious go at the marathon, basing it off current fitness. Then I could judge it properly based on the result.

    Since London 2017, I had a wishy washy attempt at Cork following my own made up plan that resulted in a painful 18 minute positive split after stupidly having a go at sub 3. After that I signed up for Valencia in December 2018 and was training towards a 3:10 – 3:20, before I eventually had to pull out due to personal circumstances. The last run of note I did in 2018 was 20m the day of the DCM. I signed up for DCM 2019 a few days after that, but did virtually no running for the next 8 months. Coming into the summer of 2019 I had put on a lot of weight and was in no condition to complete a 5k race, never mind a marathon. However, my DCM 2019 entry served as a motivator to get off my arse and start running, so I marked the date in the calendar that I’d have to begin the 18 week programme and decided to fully commit to Hanson from start to finish.

    I structured my weeks on a Thursday – Wednesday basis, given that the first run in the plan is on a Thursday. I kept track of my average pace and HR on all runs to assess progress and allow me to adjust paces if I felt the effort was too high. First thing to decide was what paces to run at.
    Hanson bases everything off your 5k race time. Rather than making the same mistake of basing paces off my pb (17:15), I knew I needed a current 5k time to ascertain the correct training paces. I settled on 20 minute 5k pace for the first interval session, with the intention of completing a 5k once I’d a few miles under my belt to ensure I was running at the correct paces.
    I ran 19:58 in a parkrun the following week to verify that was the right level to train at.
    My full 18 week training schedule is below. I followed the plan 95% to the letter and where I didn’t there are notes at the bottom to explain why/how/when/where stuff was changed around. My max HR is around 180bpm or slightly higher. The HR average for all my runs at the beginning was higher than I’d like, but dropped as the weeks went by eventually falling into line with what I’d expect for each type of run as the 6 days of running per week took effect.

    Week 1 (w/c 24th June)
    Thursday – 6m @ 8:37 (142 avg)
    Friday – 6m @ 8:22 (144 avg)
    Saturday – 6m @ 8:54 (133 avg)
    Sunday – 8m @ 8:51 (137 avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:41 (136 avg)
    Tuesday – 12 x 400m @ 1:34 (6:17min/mile pace - 161avg). 1m w/u & c/d
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 2 (w/c 1st July)
    Thursday – 6m @ 8:50 (129avg)
    Friday – 6m @ 8:40 (131avg)
    *Saturday – 3.11m @ 6:24 (170avg) 2m w/u, 1m c/d
    Sunday – 8m @ 8:29 (142avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 9:13 (128avg)
    Tuesday – 8 x 600m @ 2:22 (6:21 min/mile pace – 159avg) 2k w/u & c/d.
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 3 (w/c 8th July)
    *Thursday – 5m @ 7:12 (160avg) 2m w/u, 1m c/d
    Friday – 7m @ 8:41 (132avg)
    Saturday – 6m @ 8:44 (133avg)
    *Sunday – 32mins @ 122avg, 5k @ 20:10 (6:33 min/mile pace – 168avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:51 (126avg)
    *Tuesday – 10m @ 7:51 (143avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 4 (w/c 15th July)
    Thursday – 6m @ 7:25 (154avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 8:58 (124avg)
    Saturday – 8m @ 8:41 (128avg)
    Sunday – 8m @ 8:34 (131avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:48 (129avg)
    Tuesday – 5 x 1k @ 3:59 (6:24 min/mile pace - 164avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Wednesday - Off

    Week 5 (w/c 22nd July)
    Thursday – 6m @ 7:26 (151avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 7m @ 8:54 (134avg)
    Saturday – 6m @ 8:33 (127avg)
    Sunday – 12m @ 8:03 (140avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:28 (125avg)
    Tuesday – 4 x 1200m @ 4:48 (6:24 min/mile pace - 159avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 6 (w/c 29th July)
    Thursday – 7m @ 7:25 (157avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 8:49 (120avg)
    Saturday – 10m @ 8:40 (137avg)
    Sunday – 8m @8:34 (129avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:18 (124avg)
    Tuesday – Pyramid Session (400-800-1200-1600-1200-800-400) @ 6:23 (154avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 7 (w/c 5th August)
    *Thursday – 14m @ 7:58 (135avg)
    Friday – 7m @ 8:46 (121avg)
    Saturday – 8m @ 8:27 (132avg)
    *Sunday – 6.22m @ 7:12 (158avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Monday – 6m @ 8:16 (125avg)
    Tuesday – 3 x 1600m @ 6:24 (158avg) 3k w/u & c/d
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 8 (w/c 12th August)
    *Thursday – 7m @ 7:16 (148avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 8:53 (120avg)
    *Saturday – 5k @ 6:25 (162avg) 3m w/u, 2m c/d
    Sunday – 10m @ 8:16 (124avg)
    Monday – 10m @ 8:24 (124avg)
    Tuesday – 8m @ 8:21 (120avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 9 (w/c 19th August)
    *Thursday – 15m @ 7:47 (143avg)
    Friday – 6m @ 8:54 (120avg)
    *Saturday – 8m @ 7:16 (157avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Sunday – 7m @ 8:45 (121avg)
    Monday – 8m @ 8:24 (121avg)
    Tuesday – 3 x 1600m @ 6:19 (154avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 10 (w/c 26th August)
    Thursday – 8m @ 7:08 (153avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 8:32 (119avg)
    Saturday – 10m @ 8:11 (123avg)
    Sunday – 10m @ 8:07 (124avg)
    Monday – 8m @ 8:19 (125avg)
    Tuesday – 6 x 1m @ 6;57 (157 avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 11 (w/c 2nd September)
    Thursday – 8m @ 7:07 (146avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 7m @ 8:12 (127avg)
    Saturday – 8m @ 8:32 (127avg)
    Sunday – 16m @ 7:47 (137avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:29 (118 avg)
    Tuesday – 4 x 1.5m @ 6:56 (148avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 12 (w/c 9th September)
    Thursday – 9m @ 7:04 (144avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 8:28 (119avg)
    Saturday – 10m @ 8:35 (127avg)
    Sunday – 10m @ 8:33 (127avg)
    Monday – 8m @ 8:21 (124avg)
    Tuesday – 3 x 2m @ 6:55 (148avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 13 (w/c 16th September)
    Thursday – 9m @ 7:04 (149avg) 1.5m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 7m @ 8:11 (122avg)
    *Saturday – 16m @ 7:34 (148avg)
    Sunday – 8m @ 8:14 (120avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:55 (110avg)
    Tuesday – 2 x 3m @ 6:57 (149avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 14 (w/c 23rd September)
    Thursday – 9m @ 7:07 (149avg) 1m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 9:15 (111avg)
    Saturday – 10m @ 8:35 (121avg)
    Sunday – 10m @ 8:12 (126avg)
    Monday – 8m @ 8:21 (121avg)
    Tuesday – 3 x 2m @ 6:56 (143avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 15 (w/c 30th September)
    Thursday – 10m @ 7:04 (149avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 7m @ 8:33 (119avg)
    Saturday – 8m @ 8:27 (122avg)
    Sunday – 16m @ 7:46 (142avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:58 (113avg)
    Tuesday – 4 x 1.5m @ 6:56 (149avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 16 (w/c 7th October)
    *Thursday – 10m @ 7:06 (156avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 9:13 (106avg)
    Saturday – 10m @ 8:21 (123avg)
    Sunday – 10m @ 8:47 (117avg)
    Monday – 8m @ 8:45 (118avg)
    Tuesday – 6 x 1m @ 6:57 (146avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 17 (w/c 14th October)
    Thursday – 10m @ 7:06 (144avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 7m @ 8:54 (111avg)
    Saturday – 8m @ 8:33 (121avg)
    Sunday – 8m @ 8:26 (126avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 9:06 (111avg)
    Tuesday – 5m @ 8:49 (112avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    *Notes
    Week 2: Went slightly off plan on the Saturday to run my 5k time trial to verify that the interval paces I was using were correct. Ran 19:58 which did just that.
    Week 3: Without checking the book, I just assumed a 20 min 5k equated to around 3:10 marathon pace. Went out trying to run this as my tempo pace and failed miserably. Completed 5m on target, but had slow after that and the effort was too high anyway (should be <150bpm imo). Was rightly advised afterwards that I should have been running at 3:15 pace (7:26min/mile) and took a mental note for the next tempo session.
    I swapped Sunday and Tuesday, using the 5k race as a sub for my prescribed speed session (6 x 800m). Ran 20:10, which was close enough to the pace I had settled on.
    Long run was also run slightly too quick as I failed to check the book and ran MP +30 secs rather than +40 secs prescribed. Again, a mental note was made for the following week.
    Week 7: Switched Thursday & Sunday’s sessions around as I was pacing 45mins at the R&R 10k. Sunday’s pace (7:12) was slightly faster than my tempo at this stage (7:26), but felt fairly easy on a tough course. I cut the session to 6.22m rather than 7m as I couldn’t have been bothered trying to run 0.78m directly before or after the race.
    Week 8: Did a parkrun on the Saturday (19:59 @ 162avg), using that as the Tuesday speed session and running Saturday’s easy miles on the Tuesday. Ran the tempo session at 7:16 with an average HR below 150bpm. This was my signal to move the MP down to 7:10.
    Week 9: Did the long run on Thursday and my tempo session as part of the FD10. A hot day and still feeling the effects of the long run 36 hours earlier meant I was slightly outside of target pace as I backed off when I felt the effort was getting too high.
    Week 13: Swapped the long run to Saturday to incorporate the Dublin HM, having done 3m before the start. Went slightly quicker than the prescribed pace (7:50) to allow me to sneak in under 1:40. Felt the faster pace was justified given how much easier it feels in a race. HR was a bit higher than I’d expect for the pace, but conditions and the course are not the easiest.
    Week 16: Wasn’t well early in the week which probably contributed to the higher than usual effort on the tempo run. HR back to normal for the strength session though, so any worries were alleviated.


    So after all that, the plan for DCM was to run a course pb (<3:08) and a negative split.

    I took an extra two days off in the run up to the race as I felt the rest would be more beneficial than the short easy runs prescribed:

    Week 18 (w/c 21st October)
    Thursday - Off
    Friday – 6m @ 8:41 (116avg)
    Saturday – Off
    Sunday – 26.22m @ 7:09 (3:07:05). Halfway: 1:33:26 (13 second positive split)

    I feel like yesterday was the best marathon I’ve ever run. It’s not the fastest, but it’s the first one I’ve run on target from start to finish and the only one where I’ve actually hit my race day target. As much as it hurt in the latter stages, I felt in complete control and never once doubted I was going to hit the time I set out to run. I was almost as strong at the finish as I was at the start (joint fastest splits were in miles 2 & 24). That’s a vindication of the plan in my opinion and I’d recommend it to anybody. I’m a tiny bit annoyed about the small positive split, but I’ll correct that next time. Overall I’m delighted with my race and my result. I feel like I did the Hansons justice this time.




  • yaboya1 wrote: »
    Bit of background for context.
    I’ve previously run two sub 3 marathons, but the last one of those was almost 5 years ago. I’ve been struggling for fitness for various reasons since then. The most recent marathon I’d trained properly for was London 2017, where I followed the Hanson plan. However, I was far too ambitious with my training paces and felt like I burnt myself out in the process. In the race itself I ran out of gas at 20 miles, shuffling home in 3:06 having been on target for sub 3 with 10k to go. The biggest lesson I learnt there was to train to current fitness, rather than goal or past levels. I had full faith in the plan though and never thought that was a contributor to my downfall.
    I felt compelled to give it another go the next time I was having any sort of serious go at the marathon, basing it off current fitness. Then I could judge it properly based on the result.

    Since London 2017, I had a wishy washy attempt at Cork following my own made up plan that resulted in a painful 18 minute positive split after stupidly having a go at sub 3. After that I signed up for Valencia in December 2018 and was training towards a 3:10 – 3:20, before I eventually had to pull out due to personal circumstances. The last run of note I did in 2018 was 20m the day of the DCM. I signed up for DCM 2019 a few days after that, but did virtually no running for the next 8 months. Coming into the summer of 2019 I had put on a lot of weight and was in no condition to complete a 5k race, never mind a marathon. However, my DCM 2019 entry served as a motivator to get off my arse and start running, so I marked the date in the calendar that I’d have to begin the 18 week programme and decided to fully commit to Hanson from start to finish.

    I structured my weeks on a Thursday – Wednesday basis, given that the first run in the plan is on a Thursday. I kept track of my average pace and HR on all runs to assess progress and allow me to adjust paces if I felt the effort was too high. First thing to decide was what paces to run at.
    Hanson bases everything off your 5k race time. Rather than making the same mistake of basing paces off my pb (17:15), I knew I needed a current 5k time to ascertain the correct training paces. I settled on 20 minute 5k pace for the first interval session, with the intention of completing a 5k once I’d a few miles under my belt to ensure I was running at the correct paces.
    I ran 19:58 in a parkrun the following week to verify that was the right level to train at.
    My full 18 week training schedule is below. I followed the plan 95% to the letter and where I didn’t there are notes at the bottom to explain why/how/when/where stuff was changed around. My max HR is around 180bpm or slightly higher. The HR average for all my runs at the beginning was higher than I’d like, but dropped as the weeks went by eventually falling into line with what I’d expect for each type of run as the 6 days of running per week took effect.

    Week 1 (w/c 24th June)
    Thursday – 6m @ 8:37 (142 avg)
    Friday – 6m @ 8:22 (144 avg)
    Saturday – 6m @ 8:54 (133 avg)
    Sunday – 8m @ 8:51 (137 avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:41 (136 avg)
    Tuesday – 12 x 400m @ 1:34 (6:17min/mile pace - 161avg). 1m w/u & c/d
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 2 (w/c 1st July)
    Thursday – 6m @ 8:50 (129avg)
    Friday – 6m @ 8:40 (131avg)
    *Saturday – 3.11m @ 6:24 (170avg) 2m w/u, 1m c/d
    Sunday – 8m @ 8:29 (142avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 9:13 (128avg)
    Tuesday – 8 x 600m @ 2:22 (6:21 min/mile pace – 159avg) 2k w/u & c/d.
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 3 (w/c 8th July)
    *Thursday – 5m @ 7:12 (160avg) 2m w/u, 1m c/d
    Friday – 7m @ 8:41 (132avg)
    Saturday – 6m @ 8:44 (133avg)
    *Sunday – 32mins @ 122avg, 5k @ 20:10 (6:33 min/mile pace – 168avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:51 (126avg)
    *Tuesday – 10m @ 7:51 (143avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 4 (w/c 15th July)
    Thursday – 6m @ 7:25 (154avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 8:58 (124avg)
    Saturday – 8m @ 8:41 (128avg)
    Sunday – 8m @ 8:34 (131avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:48 (129avg)
    Tuesday – 5 x 1k @ 3:59 (6:24 min/mile pace - 164avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Wednesday - Off

    Week 5 (w/c 22nd July)
    Thursday – 6m @ 7:26 (151avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 7m @ 8:54 (134avg)
    Saturday – 6m @ 8:33 (127avg)
    Sunday – 12m @ 8:03 (140avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:28 (125avg)
    Tuesday – 4 x 1200m @ 4:48 (6:24 min/mile pace - 159avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 6 (w/c 29th July)
    Thursday – 7m @ 7:25 (157avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 8:49 (120avg)
    Saturday – 10m @ 8:40 (137avg)
    Sunday – 8m @8:34 (129avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:18 (124avg)
    Tuesday – Pyramid Session (400-800-1200-1600-1200-800-400) @ 6:23 (154avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 7 (w/c 5th August)
    *Thursday – 14m @ 7:58 (135avg)
    Friday – 7m @ 8:46 (121avg)
    Saturday – 8m @ 8:27 (132avg)
    *Sunday – 6.22m @ 7:12 (158avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Monday – 6m @ 8:16 (125avg)
    Tuesday – 3 x 1600m @ 6:24 (158avg) 3k w/u & c/d
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 8 (w/c 12th August)
    *Thursday – 7m @ 7:16 (148avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 8:53 (120avg)
    *Saturday – 5k @ 6:25 (162avg) 3m w/u, 2m c/d
    Sunday – 10m @ 8:16 (124avg)
    Monday – 10m @ 8:24 (124avg)
    Tuesday – 8m @ 8:21 (120avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 9 (w/c 19th August)
    *Thursday – 15m @ 7:47 (143avg)
    Friday – 6m @ 8:54 (120avg)
    *Saturday – 8m @ 7:16 (157avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Sunday – 7m @ 8:45 (121avg)
    Monday – 8m @ 8:24 (121avg)
    Tuesday – 3 x 1600m @ 6:19 (154avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 10 (w/c 26th August)
    Thursday – 8m @ 7:08 (153avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 8:32 (119avg)
    Saturday – 10m @ 8:11 (123avg)
    Sunday – 10m @ 8:07 (124avg)
    Monday – 8m @ 8:19 (125avg)
    Tuesday – 6 x 1m @ 6;57 (157 avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 11 (w/c 2nd September)
    Thursday – 8m @ 7:07 (146avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 7m @ 8:12 (127avg)
    Saturday – 8m @ 8:32 (127avg)
    Sunday – 16m @ 7:47 (137avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:29 (118 avg)
    Tuesday – 4 x 1.5m @ 6:56 (148avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 12 (w/c 9th September)
    Thursday – 9m @ 7:04 (144avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 8:28 (119avg)
    Saturday – 10m @ 8:35 (127avg)
    Sunday – 10m @ 8:33 (127avg)
    Monday – 8m @ 8:21 (124avg)
    Tuesday – 3 x 2m @ 6:55 (148avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 13 (w/c 16th September)
    Thursday – 9m @ 7:04 (149avg) 1.5m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 7m @ 8:11 (122avg)
    *Saturday – 16m @ 7:34 (148avg)
    Sunday – 8m @ 8:14 (120avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:55 (110avg)
    Tuesday – 2 x 3m @ 6:57 (149avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 14 (w/c 23rd September)
    Thursday – 9m @ 7:07 (149avg) 1m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 9:15 (111avg)
    Saturday – 10m @ 8:35 (121avg)
    Sunday – 10m @ 8:12 (126avg)
    Monday – 8m @ 8:21 (121avg)
    Tuesday – 3 x 2m @ 6:56 (143avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 15 (w/c 30th September)
    Thursday – 10m @ 7:04 (149avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 7m @ 8:33 (119avg)
    Saturday – 8m @ 8:27 (122avg)
    Sunday – 16m @ 7:46 (142avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 8:58 (113avg)
    Tuesday – 4 x 1.5m @ 6:56 (149avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 16 (w/c 7th October)
    *Thursday – 10m @ 7:06 (156avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 6m @ 9:13 (106avg)
    Saturday – 10m @ 8:21 (123avg)
    Sunday – 10m @ 8:47 (117avg)
    Monday – 8m @ 8:45 (118avg)
    Tuesday – 6 x 1m @ 6:57 (146avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    Week 17 (w/c 14th October)
    Thursday – 10m @ 7:06 (144avg) 2m w/u & c/d
    Friday – 7m @ 8:54 (111avg)
    Saturday – 8m @ 8:33 (121avg)
    Sunday – 8m @ 8:26 (126avg)
    Monday – 6m @ 9:06 (111avg)
    Tuesday – 5m @ 8:49 (112avg)
    Wednesday – Off

    *Notes
    Week 2: Went slightly off plan on the Saturday to run my 5k time trial to verify that the interval paces I was using were correct. Ran 19:58 which did just that.
    Week 3: Without checking the book, I just assumed a 20 min 5k equated to around 3:10 marathon pace. Went out trying to run this as my tempo pace and failed miserably. Completed 5m on target, but had slow after that and the effort was too high anyway (should be <150bpm imo). Was rightly advised afterwards that I should have been running at 3:15 pace (7:26min/mile) and took a mental note for the next tempo session.
    I swapped Sunday and Tuesday, using the 5k race as a sub for my prescribed speed session (6 x 800m). Ran 20:10, which was close enough to the pace I had settled on.
    Long run was also run slightly too quickly as I failed to check the book and ran MP +30 secs rather than +40 secs prescribed. Again, a mental note was made for the following week.
    Week 7: Switched Thursday & Sunday’s sessions around as I was pacing 45mins at the R&R 10k. Sunday’s pace (7:12) was slightly faster than my tempo at this stage (7:26), but felt fairly easy on a tough course. I cut the session to 6.22m rather than 7m as I couldn’t have been bothered trying to run 0.78m directly before or after the race.
    Week 8: Did a parkrun on the Saturday (19:59 @ 162avg), using that as the Tuesday speed session and running Saturday’s easy miles on the Tuesday. Ran the tempo session at 7:16 with an average HR below 150bpm. This was my signal to move the MP down to 7:10.
    Week 9: Did the long run on Thursday and my tempo session as part of the FD10. A hot day and still feeling the effects of the long run 36 hours earlier meant I was slightly outside of target pace as I backed off when I felt the effort was getting too high.
    Week 13: Swapped the long run to Saturday to incorporate the Dublin HM, having done 3m before the start. Went slightly quicker than the prescribed pace (7:50) to allow me to sneak in under 1:40. Felt the faster pace was justified given how much easier it feels in a race. HR was a bit higher than I’d expect for the pace, but conditions and the course are not the easiest.
    Week 16: Wasn’t well early in the week which probably contributed to the higher than usual effort on the tempo run. HR back to normal for the strength session though, so any worries were alleviated.


    So after all that, the plan for DCM was to run a course pb (<3:08) and a negative split.

    I took an extra two days off in the run up to the race as I felt the rest would be more beneficial than the short easy runs prescribed:

    Week 18 (w/c 21st October)
    Thursday - Off
    Friday – 6m @ 8:41 (116avg)
    Saturday – Off
    Sunday – 26.22m @ 7:09 (3:07:05). Halfway: 1:33:26 (13 second positive split)

    I feel like yesterday was the best marathon I’ve ever run. It’s not the fastest, but it’s the first one I’ve run on target from start to finish and the only one where I’ve actually hit my race day target. As much as it hurt in the latter stages, I felt in complete control and never once doubted I was going to hit the time I set out to run. I was almost as strong at the finish as I was at the start (joint fastest splits were in miles 2 & 24). That’s a vindication of the plan in my opinion and I’d recommend it to anybody. I’m a tiny bit annoyed about the small positive split, but I’ll correct that next time. Overall I’m delighted with my race and my result. I feel like I did the Hansons justice this time.

    I seen the results of the Day of 5k PB’s and figured you were pacing 20 minutes and when I saw the photos, not to be harsh, I knew you weren’t!!! Great to see you back at it P, I know you fell out of love with running for a while. Will you keep it going this time, be great to see you back here regularly posting. Well done yesterday.




  • OOnegative wrote: »
    I seen the results of the Day of 5k PB’s and figured you were pacing 20 minutes and when I saw the photos, not to be harsh, I knew you weren’t!!! Great to see you back at it P, I know you fell out of love with running for a while. Will you keep it going this time, be great to see you back here regularly posting. Well done yesterday.

    Cheers B. Nice way of saying I was a fat fcuker :D
    I'd be sacked if I was pacing there, given I couldn't hit the target time myself.




  • yaboya1 wrote: »
    Week 18 (w/c 21st October)
    Thursday - Off
    Friday – 6m @ 8:41 (116avg)
    Saturday – Off
    Sunday – 26.22m @ 7:09 (3:07:05). Halfway: 1:33:26 (13 second positive split)

    I feel like yesterday was the best marathon I’ve ever run. It’s not the fastest, but it’s the first one I’ve run on target from start to finish and the only one where I’ve actually hit my race day target. As much as it hurt in the latter stages, I felt in complete control and never once doubted I was going to hit the time I set out to run. I was almost as strong at the finish as I was at the start (joint fastest splits were in miles 2 & 24). That’s a vindication of the plan in my opinion and I’d recommend it to anybody. I’m a tiny bit annoyed about the small positive split, but I’ll correct that next time. Overall I’m delighted with my race and my result. I feel like I did the Hansons justice this time.


    Thanks for the update - great running!


    For myself, I missed a lot of miles especially those longer ones and didn't have time to do the increased MP miles as the plan built up during the week so did what I could along the way. my PB is 3:29 and I started the plan with the intention of a 3:28 an changed that to a 3:25 as I felt I was hitting the paces easily in training, until the mileage increased and I didn't have the time. Still I kept to the training paces of 7:50 MP.



    On the day I planned to take the first half easy and push on a little in the 2nd and see where it got me. I might have taken it too easily but I was really enjoying the day so much so the miles flew past and I was missing the cues to take my gels etc.



    Anyhoo finished on a negative split for the first time, 2nd time not having to stop and walk and although I couldn't push on very much on the last 6 (prob due to the lack of long miles) I came in at 3:33:33 (not my favourite number by the way :D) with my watch time of 3:33 dead on as I had stopped for the loo at mile 8 somewhere in the park. Very happy considering I didn't think I would run it at all as I hadn't put in enough training. I would love to do the plan and give it it's proper attention and time but I think that will need to be when the kids are a bit older and I have more free time. Maybe for the 50th Dublin Marathon!




  • Just to offer my own thoughts on the plan after Sunday. It was my first marathon so I was a little unsure as to what plan to follow back in June. I had a decent base built up of easy running so following plenty of research here and across the wider web I said I would give the Hansons method a go. Bought the book and read it in a weekend and decided to give the advanced method a bash.

    Was a bit optimistic with the paces early in the plan when working off an old PB so dialed the pace back to current fitness and found it much more manageable. I didn't follow the plan to the exact letter as I threw in a 10K in week 5 and also I ran the Charleville half in September.

    Given it was my first marathon I wanted to run a half to see where I was pace wise. Charleville put me in the 3:15 - 3:20 range which married to the paces that I was running the MP sessions at. I also took Sunday as my rest day and added some additional rest days when the body was battered. I also ran two 21 milers one of which was at MP -30 secs. I just wanted to see how the body would react to running that sort of distance.

    I found the training relentless but I really enjoyed the SOS sessions. I was constantly tired but tried to stick to the plan as best I could. I ran a negative split in Charleville and felt quite strong in the later stages so that gave me the confidence that the plan was working.

    The plan on Sunday was to go out with the 3:20 pacers and push on if I could after 15 miles. Of course I spent too much time foostering on Sunday morning getting to the start line so when the gun went off I was in the queue for the portaloo and the pacers were long gone! :o

    Didn't panic too much and went off at a conservative enough pace through the first 7 miles. Picked it up slightly through to halfway and was feeling good so pushed on again. Felt really strong right up to mile 24 where I had a little wobble put composed myself to push on again for the last mile and a bit.

    Crossed the line in 3:19:10 with a 2 minute negative split so I was happy out. Reckon I could have shaved a bit more off the time if I had of pushed the pace a little more early on but given it was my first marathon I had a nagging fear of blowing up in the later stages of the race. Running with the pacers might have helped here but I can't be too greedy at the end of the day.

    Overall impression of the plan is that it is bloody tough but it definitely works. I can't see myself doing a marathon again next year, the plan is to focus on the shorter stuff with maybe another crack at Charleville in September but if I do sign up for another marathon I would have no hesitation doing the Hansons method again.

    Apologies for the long post but I just wanted to share my thoughts. Finally thanks to all who contributed to this thread and to the Athletics forum as a whole. Boards is a fantastic resource and there are some great contributors on the site.




  • obriebm wrote: »
    Crossed the line in 3:19:10 with a 2 minute negative split so I was happy out. Reckon I could have shaved a bit more off the time if I had of pushed the pace a little more early on but given it was my first marathon I had a nagging fear of blowing up in the later stages of the race. Running with the pacers might have helped here but I can't be too greedy at the end of the day.

    Great stuff, well done! I'm not sure if I'd recommend the plan to novice marathoners but it's good to hear that it does work. The 20 mile runs in classic marathon plans help the confidence and endurance for novice marathoners that the Hanson plan doesn't necessarily provide.




  • Folks, a question for all of you that have just done the plan.

    Which of the 3 SoS's did ye find toughest? For whatever reason, I'm finding the M stuff the hardest to hit these last few weeks.

    Sunday's Long Run was fine and today's Strength session as well. The last two 9 milers at M pace on the Thursday have been really tough. Should I be worried?


  • Advertisement


  • Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, a question for all of you that have just done the plan.

    Which of the 3 SoS's did ye find toughest? For whatever reason, I'm finding the M stuff the hardest to hit these last few weeks.

    Sunday's Long Run was fine and today's Strength session as well. The last two 9 milers at M pace on the Thursday have been really tough. Should I be worried?

    I was exactly the same. Tempo sessions are by far the hardest.
    Strength runs are the easiest of the three, given the pace they're run at and the generous recoveries. The early speed sessions are more difficult.
    Long runs are relatively straightforward too, but residual soreness and cumulative fatigue make them a little bit more difficult than the strength runs.
    Sounds like you're on course to me.




  • yaboya1 wrote: »
    I was exactly the same. Tempo sessions are by far the hardest.
    Strength runs are the easiest of the three, given the pace they're run at and the generous recoveries. The early speed sessions are more difficult.
    Long runs are relatively straightforward too, but residual soreness and cumulative fatigue make them a little bit more difficult than the strength runs.
    Sounds like you're on course to me.

    I always found the speed sessions fairly handy as they’re based on 5k pace and I’d been previously using Pfitzinger plans where similar sessions were 3-5k pace. Agree with P - the tempos are definitely the most challenging, in the HM version of plan too.




  • Singer wrote: »
    Great stuff, well done! I'm not sure if I'd recommend the plan to novice marathoners but it's good to hear that it does work. The 20 mile runs in classic marathon plans help the confidence and endurance for novice marathoners that the Hanson plan doesn't necessarily provide.

    I used it for my first and found it great. Would you not recommend it because of the long run?




  • Here’s a brief recap of my race and a few thoughts on Hansons if anyone interested!

    The race:

    I wasn’t sure what time to target right up to a few days beforehand. I completed all the sessions in the plan at the 3 hours paces but I knew I lacked endurance. The 16 milers were my longest runs ever so 2.05 or so was the longest I’ve ran. This played on my mind. How would I get on after this point? With some gentle prodding (here and elsewhere) I trusted the plan but sub 3 was just outside my ability right now.

    I decided on 3.10 target but would push on if I felt good. I lined up a bit behind the 3.10 pacers. It took me a couple of km to get right behind the group due to the crowds. The first cheer that went up had my heart pounding. Once with pacers I felt very comfortable. The band in Castleknock were playing U2 as I passed, Streets Have No Name. Again, emotional stuff!

    Stuck with pacers to around 13km I think and decided to push on. Felt really strong at this point. Passed half in 1.32.40 and kept the pace up. I started passing lots of people here and did so right up to last 3km. It all passed by in a blur, quite surreal feeling at times. The crowd at Dolphins Barn was immense. The support for club runners was great. There were various club runners around me at times and the shout outs were brilliant. If I lived closer to a club I’d join!

    It was around the 37km mark when pace dropped a bit for the first time. Heart rate was still good but legs were really starting to feel it. I grit my teeth, kept breathing hard, repeated a mantra to myself and kept going. I was hurting now. I was passed by a few, not too many, for the first time. The crowd was growing on the run in though and you can’t help but get carried away. The last couple of km were slowish (4.45, 4.48, 4.40) but I kept the head up and tried to enjoy it. Crossed the line in just over 3.05. Almost exactly even split.

    It is the first training plan I followed so have nothing to compare it to, but I think it got me in really good shape. I felt strong throughout, well until the last few km but that’s to be expected. Strangely enough I found the strength sessions the worst. Speed was all out attack, tempo was about controlling pace etc but strength was an in-between pace that I found hard. I missed mileage at the start. I was coming from a low base so didn’t jump straight into the mileage. If I went again, I would aim for the full mileage from the get go. I would recommend the plan. I think if you follow it fully, and are honest about your current fitness levels etc it will work.

    There is always the ‘what if’ thoughts. Had I gone with 3.00 pacers and had something to hold on to with a few miles left could I have done it? Who knows. I said I may not do another one but my next one will be a proper crack at sub 3 :pac::pac::pac:




  • Another Hanson’s advocate here!

    After stagnating around 3.14 for the past 3 marathon efforts I decided to try and shake it up a bit. Before I started the plan I had PB’s for 10k for 37.50 and 5k of 17.52 so I had decent speed but endurance always seemed to be an issue in marathon

    I have tried plans where I ran 22/23 and even 24 milers but holding Marathon pace for a long time never happened

    So that’s where Hanson’s came in.....the key thing I liked was the midweek Tempo and felt that would give me huge benefits.

    I stuck to the plan rigidly except I did do 3x20 miles instead of 16. I know this is against the rules but I felt I needed it to help my speed endurance. All other runs were completed as scheduled and I think I did 20 miles in total less than the whole plan prescribed.

    Anyway the 18 weeks really well, I enjoyed the structure (it took the thinking out of moving sessions and runs around constantly) and when I knocked 6 mins off my HM PB in August in Tullamore for a 1.23 I knew something good was achievable. I did all the paces for a Sub3 but on the day I just didn’t want another blow up so decided 3.05 would be a prudent target.

    Two previous Sub 3 attempts had been a disaster. One a DNF and then other a limp home from 16 miles and I needed a positive result above all else.

    I have done Dublin 10 times and this was the most enjoyable. The first 13 miles felt so easy I kept having to hold back. Through half way in 1.31.45 and feeling good. From there I picked it up until about mile 22 when I did tire slightly. I expected this but as many Hanson advocates will state, you get tired but it doesn’t progress to exhaustion. That was the difference. I lost about 90 seconds over the last 4 miles but I crossed in 3.05 for a 9 minute PB and sheer elation. An incredible buzz.

    In short, I will be using H for the next marathon for sure. The key session is definitely the MP session. At first they seem daunting but when you have done 3 runs with [email protected] and 3 runs with [email protected] without being completely fooked you know you are in good shape.

    Sub3 is now the next goal and I’ll be using Hanson’s to get there.

    Thanks to all the supporters and volunteers in DCM. They make it happen whilst we get to run around our city doing what we love. It’s a privilege not many have bestowed on them.

    Anyway over and out and best of luck everyone.




  • yaboya1 wrote: »
    I was exactly the same. Tempo sessions are by far the hardest.
    Strength runs are the easiest of the three, given the pace they're run at and the generous recoveries. The early speed sessions are more difficult.
    Long runs are relatively straightforward too, but residual soreness and cumulative fatigue make them a little bit more difficult than the strength runs.
    Sounds like you're on course to me.

    +1




  • Looks like there will be a few on the 2.59 train for next yr. if you can hit the plan with a good base then you are only adjusting the intensity of some of your runs rather than increasing mileage and intensity which is harder.




  • Brief synopsis of plan and results.


    the plan
    Of the 917 prescribed miles (which includes the marathon) I did 901 miles. I missed the very first SOS (6 mile MP tempo) and then skipped an easy run in the last week. So I did over 98% of the plan. More importantly I hit the target paces in all SOS sessions.


    Some examples of keys sessions:
    - The last nine MP tempo runs I did at 6:50/mile. The rest were at 6:52/mile.
    - The last three 16 mile long runs I did at 7:14/mile. The rest were at about 7:21/mile.
    - All of the strength sessions I did at 6:40/mile pace.


    I kept the easy running easy, and let my body decide the pace anywhere in that 2 minute range over MP. Early in the plan I would be easy at 7:50/mile but as the distances increased easy would drift out more toward 8:50/mile. Not always but when it was needed after the SOS. I was happy with that as it was also about recovery.


    The plan was hugely enjoyable to follow. I loved the MP tempos in the park at 6am in July and August with the Sun rising and birds singing. I enjoyed the long runs the most. I was always running well within myself. I incorporated half marathons into the long runs and was cruising by people at the end of the races who were struggling having gone out too fast. A nice feeling.



    the marathon
    I started out 100 metres behind the last 3 hour pace balloon and let him go to nearly 300 metres by Rialto. Nice and controlled. I came through half way at 1:29:50 (6:52/mile). The first 5 miles were slower approx 6:54 and the latter miles of the fist half were moving a little quicker 6:50/mile.


    I was comfortable but also working hard, if that makes sense. I felt exactly like I thought I should have felt, racing a marathon but also in control.


    I got the first sense that things weren't right coming through halfway. I was working harder and I wasn't filled with joy at having to climb up the Crumlin Road. At the Halfway House I was working really hard and starting to slow. By 16 miles I was walking. Hit the wall hard.


    Squashed thoughts of quitting and started looking for a stride. Got into a rythm of 8:30/mile and then found 8:05/mile in the last few miles. Completed the second half in 1:48.


    Didn't wear a strap so no idea on what my heart rate was.

    Finish 3:18


    verdict
    My Hanson plan was dialled in to run a 3 hour marathon. I read the book cover to cover and followed the plan to the letter. According to the plan, with the training I had completed I was ready to run a 3 hour marathon but it only really set me up to run 16 miles at 3 hour pace. The plan left me nothing for the last ten miles.


    A mitigating factor, I 'might' have had a virus as my TE was slightly up on easy runs in the last couple of weeks compared to weeks previous but that is according to the Garmin and Im not sure how accurate it is. I didn't check my resting heart rate at all.


    As I said, for a marathon training plan it was very enjoyable. Would highly recommend in that regard.


    I won't use it again for some years. I feel I need the long run to be longer.




  • Right ladies & gentlemen. I'm throwing this out here just for the craic. The first of the spring 2020 marathons is probably Paris (I'm running) so.......18 week Hanson programme starts for me on.............December 2nd !!!!, other marathons give or take a couple of weeks.......Happy Christmas............. Just saying :D:eek::)


  • Advertisement


  • Kissy Lips wrote: »
    Brief synopsis of plan and results.


    the plan
    Of the 917 prescribed miles (which includes the marathon) I did 901 miles. I missed the very first SOS (6 mile MP tempo) and then skipped an easy run in the last week. So I did over 98% of the plan. More importantly I hit the target paces in all SOS sessions.


    Some examples of keys sessions:
    - The last nine MP tempo runs I did at 6:50/mile. The rest were at 6:52/mile.
    - The last three 16 mile long runs I did at 7:14/mile. The rest were at about 7:21/mile.
    - All of the strength sessions I did at 6:40/mile pace.


    I kept the easy running easy, and let my body decide the pace anywhere in that 2 minute range over MP. Early in the plan I would be easy at 7:50/mile but as the distances increased easy would drift out more toward 8:50/mile. Not always but when it was needed after the SOS. I was happy with that as it was also about recovery.


    The plan was hugely enjoyable to follow. I loved the MP tempos in the park at 6am in July and August with the Sun rising and birds singing. I enjoyed the long runs the most. I was always running well within myself. I incorporated half marathons into the long runs and was cruising by people at the end of the races who were struggling having gone out too fast. A nice feeling.



    the marathon
    I started out 100 metres behind the last 3 hour pace balloon and let him go to nearly 300 metres by Rialto. Nice and controlled. I came through half way at 1:29:50 (6:52/mile). The first 5 miles were slower approx 6:54 and the latter miles of the fist half were moving a little quicker 6:50/mile.


    I was comfortable but also working hard, if that makes sense. I felt exactly like I thought I should have felt, racing a marathon but also in control.


    I got the first sense that things weren't right coming through halfway. I was working harder and I wasn't filled with joy at having to climb up the Crumlin Road. At the Halfway House I was working really hard and starting to slow. By 16 miles I was walking. Hit the wall hard.


    Squashed thoughts of quitting and started looking for a stride. Got into a rythm of 8:30/mile and then found 8:05/mile in the last few miles. Completed the second half in 1:48.


    Didn't wear a strap so no idea on what my heart rate was.

    Finish 3:18


    verdict
    My Hanson plan was dialled in to run a 3 hour marathon. I read the book cover to cover and followed the plan to the letter. According to the plan, with the training I had completed I was ready to run a 3 hour marathon but it only really set me up to run 16 miles at 3 hour pace. The plan left me nothing for the last ten miles.


    A mitigating factor, I 'might' have had a virus as my TE was slightly up on easy runs in the last couple of weeks compared to weeks previous but that is according to the Garmin and Im not sure how accurate it is. I didn't check my resting heart rate at all.


    As I said, for a marathon training plan it was very enjoyable. Would highly recommend in that regard.


    I won't use it again for some years. I feel I need the long run to be longer.

    Sorry to hear things didn't go to plan. Just wondering what your marathon history is like? Have you done many marathons before?

    I'm sort of thinking this plan may be more suitable for folks that have a lot of endurance built up over a few years training but may not be as suitable for those who are newer to marathon running.

    I've never followed the plan but I have the book and would consider using it.


Advertisement