Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Energy monitor

  • 17-05-2019 5:58pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭ Alkers


    I am currently beginning the process of looking at getting a solar PV setup installed. We have a night meter so can work out our day Vs night usage but I would like to try and work out the base load on the house to work out the economics of what size of array to install and whether or not to go for battery storage.
    Can anyone recommend an energy monitor? Real time readout and logging of historical use would be ideal but I'm not wanting to spend much.
    One of the installers mentioned the owl units but there are various models any none of the sellers I can see look particularly reputable.
    Thanks


Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭ Malani Big Sarcasm


    I bought an owl e intuition this week from Amazon for £70. Yet to install it


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,892 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    Got an Owl intuition monitor from eBay a few months ago for £7.99 incl shipping

    Easy to setup because the instructions are very clear. Will give you a good idea of your base load and you can see it spiking when switching on the kettle, etc.

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭ n97 mini


    Bear in mind if you buy a monitor with a battery (eg AA) powered CT clamp, it won't give accurate figures when your PV system is generating power.

    They usually assume the power factor is 1.0, which it isn't always with PV. My energy monitor shows wild figures in the morning and early evening, which look more like our actual usage added to the PV output.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭ Alkers


    Thanks for that, I'm only really after the monitor to inform the decision of rhe payback period for getting PV, what size of array to go for and whether or not to get a battery.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭ rolion


    You will need to get the energy monitor that has solar PV interface built-in AND programmed for the dual way flow of the electrons.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ wexfordman2


    Simona1986 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'm only really after the monitor to inform the decision of rhe payback period for getting PV, what size of array to go for and whether or not to get a battery.


    A basic meter such as the owl would work fine for your analysis bit in decision making. If you do go the Pv route, and get it professionally installed or done under the seai grant system, a fully functional monitoring system would be fairly standard.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ wexfordman2


    I am sure actually I have an old energy monitor around somewhere that might still be working. Might see if I can find it, anyone here is more than welcome to it rather than me throwing it out.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭ rolion


    n97 mini wrote: »
    Bear in mind if you buy a monitor with a battery (eg AA) powered CT clamp, it won't give accurate figures when your PV system is generating power.

    They usually assume the power factor is 1.0, which it isn't always with PV. My energy monitor shows wild figures in the morning and early evening, which look more like our actual usage added to the PV output.


    Can i ask you to quote a system that doesnt rely on batteries !?
    You are aware of owl having the setting inside the software already ...

    Your spikes are there , i guess, because you have a diverter and the owl sees that as consumption..or ..probable wrong attached clamps ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭ n97 mini


    rolion wrote: »
    Can i ask you to quote a system that doesnt rely on batteries !?
    You are aware of owl having the setting inside the software already ...

    Your spikes are there , i guess, because you have a diverter and the owl sees that as consumption..or ..probable wrong attached clamps ?

    OpenEnergyMonitor uses AC transformers with its clamps. There's actually a lot of information on their website as to why they're necessary.

    Any PV system I've seen that had a clamp option is connected by wire to the inverter.

    I don't have an Owl, so I don't know anything about them. I do know a CT clamp can only measure current (amps), not voltage or power factor. All three are required to calculate power (watts).


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭ n97 mini


    n97 mini wrote: »
    I don't have an Owl, so I don't know anything about them. I do know a CT clamp can only measure current (amps), not voltage or power factor. All three are required to calculate power (watts).

    I should add that my Efergy monitor assumes PF is 1.0 and I've set voltage to 230v. Grid voltage varies a lot, and it's currently at 236v. I emailed Efergy two weeks ago to see if they had any suggestion (e.g. replace CT clamp with optical sensor) but they never replied.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ Mr Q


    n97 mini wrote: »
    I should add that my Efergy monitor assumes PF is 1.0 and I've set voltage to 230v. Grid voltage varies a lot, and it's currently at 236v. I emailed Efergy two weeks ago to see if they had any suggestion (e.g. replace CT clamp with optical sensor) but they never replied.

    I have an Efergy currently still connected and find it very inaccurate, especially at low loads. If i kill the carbon and smoke detectors it tells me they were using 100 watts.

    Recently bought a geo Minim because it has a sensor that counts the LED pulses on the meter and is much more accurate. It reads the detector load at 1/10th of what the Efergy was.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭ n97 mini


    Mr Q wrote: »
    I have an Efergy currently still connected and find it very inaccurate, especially at low loads. If i kill the carbon and smoke detectors it tells me they were using 100 watts.

    Recently bought a geo Minim because it has a sensor that counts the LED pulses on the meter and is much more accurate. It reads the detector load at 1/10th of what the Efergy was.

    Where did you buy? I see them on Amazon right now for £40. Looks like a good price, especially since Efergy can't be bothered replying to my email!


  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ Mr Q


    n97 mini wrote: »
    Where did you buy? I see them on Amazon right now for £40. Looks like a good price, especially since Efergy can't be bothered replying to my email!

    On Amazon. One thing i don't like about it is the monitor is not battery powered so cant move it around the house like some others.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭ n97 mini


    Mr Q wrote: »
    On Amazon. One thing i don't like about it is the monitor is not battery powered so cant move it around the house like some others.

    Is the power adapter ac/dc or ac/ac? Also, does it have logging? If so, I'll pull the trigger. Thanks for the info!


  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ Mr Q


    n97 mini wrote: »
    Is the power adapter ac/dc or ac/ac? Also, does it have logging? If so, I'll pull the trigger. Thanks for the info!

    Its ac/dc, has a usb connection on the plug end. I have been meaning to try it on a power pack to make it portable.

    No logging.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭ Malani Big Sarcasm


    The owl I have just has a receiver connected to my router.
    I then look at all the readings online.


  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ Mr Q


    The owl I have just has a receiver connected to my router.
    I then look at all the readings online.

    The Efergy i have does the same and you can use their app for live use on your phone like with the owl version. I just find their ct clamp a little too inaccurate but that could be a voltage issue I have perhaps, never tested it.


Advertisement