Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divorce referendum - legal loophole?

Options
  • 15-05-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

As you're probably aware, there will be a referendum vote on divorce on 24 May to remove the separation period (of 4 years) from the constitution. The Oireachtas is planning on legislating a 2 year separation period instead.

Before they enact such legislation, would it be possible to get an immediate divorce?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The existing time limit is also in legislation I believe

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    You need to indicate how this loophole might occur

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

L1011 wrote: »
    The existing time limit is also in legislation I believe

Oh I didn't know that. Ignore my post then.

I thought if it wasn't in legislation, when it was removed from the constitution and before legislation was enacted, that there would be a small time period where people could obtain an immediate divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

The existing legislation is still valid and on going until new legislation is passed, even if it's a yes on the referendum

Advertisement