Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Other than wax

Options
  • 14-05-2019 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

hi all,other than car wax,is there any other thing that protects paintwork,i've heard of supagard,but i want to do it myself,car is a fiesta,black,6mts old,starting to see those swirl marks that i hate,

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to the detailing forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

sniperman wrote: »
    hi all,other than car wax,is there any other thing that protects paintwork,i've heard of supagard,but i want to do it myself,car is a fiesta,black,6mts old,starting to see those swirl marks that i hate,

If you already have swirl marks, then you really need to machine polish them out,
    Then ceramic coat would be the best to protect the paintwork, but ONLY if you use a proper wash method.

If you want to go a cheaper route, then I would suggest a Glaze topped with a wax.
    While this will not protect the paint really, again a good wash method will prolong the life of the finish.

This is a standalone product that will hide the swirls and give you good gloss levels,
    Again, literally zero protection against future swirling.
    But you could apply it once a month or so.
    https://www.autopia.ie/product/soft99-new-scratch-clear-wax-mirror-finish/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Is it a ceramic coating you're looking for or something you apply every so often as you would with wax? If it's the latter, you can't go too wrong with something like Gtechniq C2V3. Spray on, buff....job done.

If it's a ceramic coating you're going to need to do a lot of prep work as vectra said. There is absolutely no point in applying something like that without first machine polishing the whole car to remove swirls and scratches.

Supagard isn't much more than a sealant along the lines of Chemical Guys Jetseal 109. Jetseal is a very good product but is along the same lines as a wax i.e. you reapply it every so often.

CarPro have a polish (I think it's called Essence) that you apply by machine and it fills swirls and scratches and you can apply their CQuartz coating directly on top of it therefore locking in the mirror finish. I personally have never used this so I don't know how well it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭sniperman

Is it a ceramic coating you're looking for or something you apply every so often as you would with wax?.............just something that protects the paint work from the elements that i could put on every so often,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

sniperman wrote: »
    Is it a ceramic coating you're looking for or something you apply every so often as you would with wax?.............just something that protects the paint work from the elements that i could put on every so often,thanks

The soft99 product I suggested above.
    Or
    If the swirls are minimal then it would be hard to beat 2 coats of Soft99 Fusso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

I use C2v3 on a Black car. Black shows swirls like nothing else. I gave it a quick run over with a rotary, more of a polish than a serious correction. The car needs to be properly washed, de tarred and clayed plus much more washing. Still looks great 6 months later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

First time I've heard of a ceramic coat.

Can you point me towards a product and method please?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

First time I've heard of a ceramic coat.

Can you point me towards a product and method please?

If you haven't heard about it before, it's not likely something you can apply yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Collinite 845 is a good sealant. Im off to try this fusso 99 stuff as suggested to me in another thread.

What i use to do with the collinite was claybar and iron x the car and if i was lazy throw down turtle wax color magic to hide all the swirls and marks and seal it with the collinite 845. Good for six months easy

Advertisement