Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The veterans

• 14-05-2019 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭

With the passing of Doris Day, and as a spin off from her thread, who are the veterans, i.e. 90+, stars of yesteryear still alive?

Obviously Olivia De Havilland at over 100 is the queen of them all, Her career predates WWII and she is presumably the last named star of GWTW still living. Kirk Douglas of course is also the ton plus. Others well over the 90 include the great Angela Lansbury, whose film career began at the tail end of WWII and is still performing on stage I think, and Dick Van Dyke, still making film appearances, e.g. the Mary Poppins remake. The legendary Ennio Morricone, a mere lad at 91, is still conducting concerts. Honor Blackman, of Avengers fame, is still around, as is Hal Holbrook. Incredibly, forces sweetheart from WWII, Dame Vera Lynn, at 102 still lives. Lesser known stars may include Virginia Patton, who played James Stewart's sister-in-law Ann Dakin in It's A Wonderful Life. She retired from screen acting soon after that film.

Any others to add to the list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Thanks !
    First one I thought was Dame Vera Lynn of course.

Sidney Poitier - born 1927 - Oscar Winner - Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
    Gina Lollobrigida - born 1927
    June Brown - Dot Cotton ! - born 1927
    Harry Belafonte - born 1927

Sir David Attemborough - born 1926
    Mel Brooks - also 1926
    Tony Bennett, also 1926

Hal Holbrook - born 1925 - lots of TV roles

Eva Marie Saint - born 1924 - On the Waterfront

Betty White - born 1922 - The Proposal
    Carl Reiner - born 1922 - Ocean's Eleven

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Those of us who remember RTE's black and white days have fond memories of The Adventures of Robin Hood, in which two Irish actresses Bernadette O'Farrell and Patricia Driscoll played the part of Maid Marian.

Ms Driscoll, born in 1927, is still with us. Although IMDB and Wikipedia disagree over whether she was born in Cork or London. Bernadette O'Farrell, now long gone from us, was definitely Irish. Her accent is clearly discernible on the old episodes, still available on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Max Von Sydow is just gone the 90, while Christopher Plummer and Vera Miles will join that club later this year. English comic actor Leslie Phillips is well in to the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Kirk Douglas is still with us but he is no longer acting.

• Advertisement

Would add Henry Silva (b. 1928) to this list. Ethnic roles in The Bravados, Manchurian Candidate (1962) among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Some people coming close to the 90 mark:
    Sean Connery is 88
    Clint Eastwood is 89
    Robert Duvall is 88
    Gene Hackman is 89

Cloris Leachman is 93 and still regularly acting

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Donald Sutherland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

p to the e wrote: »
    Some people coming close to the 90 mark:
    Sean Connery is 88
    Clint Eastwood is 89
    Robert Duvall is 88
    Gene Hackman is 89

It's the end of proper "macho actors" just waiting to happen!

El Duda wrote: »
    Donald Sutherland

Donald has a bit to go yet to exceed the 90.

Speaking of Harry Palmr above, writer Len Deighton who created that character (sort of) is the 90. Also, film director James Ivory, 91.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MfMan wrote: »
    Kirk Douglas of course is also the ton plus.
    It's his birthday today, he's 103.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Victor wrote: »
    It's his birthday today, he's 103.

Holy hell. I hope at least it's a functional & coherent 103, cos otherwise it can't be much of a life.

I had to laugh as I was shocked to learn the other day, Robert Redford is married to a woman 31 years his junior since 2009! 31!! ...

... She's 62 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

pixelburp wrote: »
    Holy hell. I hope at least it's a functional & coherent 103, cos otherwise it can't be much of a life.

I had to laugh as I was shocked to learn the other day, Robert Redford is married to a woman 31 years his junior since 2009! 31!! ...

... She's 62 :D

I think you need to recheck your maths. redford is not 93

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think you need to recheck your maths. redford is not 93

Indeed, wonky math aside it still made me chuckle. Though knowing Redford he probably will be working in his 90s.

Bump.

Gene Hackman joins the nonagenarian club today. His 'Bonnie and Clyde' co-star Estelle Parsons also 90+
    Mention for Jane Powell, Howard Keel's beau in 'Seven Brides...'
    Sometime actor Nicholas Parsons has checked out.

Gene Hackman had one of those faces that "looked" old from a very young age, always having a mature appearance as long as I remember him in movies. Fair play for hitting 90 and like all the rest, hope it's a lucid 90s.

Was chatting to a friend who told me a patient of hers, 93 years old, went swimming 3 times a week; it definitely makes you contemplate your own approach to life when a nonagenarian is showing you up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Mel Brooks is 94 and still working away.

Robert Wagner, known for Hart to Hart, NCIS and much more in a career stretching back 70 years, was 90 yesterday. He was working as of last year and still looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

pixelburp wrote: »
    Gene Hackman had one of those faces that "looked" old from a very young age, always having a mature appearance as long as I remember him in movies. Fair play for hitting 90 and like all the rest, hope it's a lucid 90s.

Was chatting to a friend who told me a patient of hers, 93 years old, went swimming 3 times a week; it definitely makes you contemplate your own approach to life when a nonagenarian is showing you up! :D

Weird to think of Hackman as a 90 year old... he just always seemed to be in his mid-fifties. Must stick on Unforgiven now that I think of it.

Robert Wagner, known for Hart to Hart, NCIS and much more in a career stretching back 70 years, was 90 yesterday. He was working as of last year and still looks great.

Anyone remember him in Switch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfAcyWixbYY

• Advertisement

Add Joss Ackland to this list, who will soon be 92. (Or, given that his birthday falls on Saturday week, should that be divided by 4?)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Betty White still acting at 98.

Cicely Tyson still acting at 95.

Cloris Leachman still acting at 95.

Dick Van Dyke still acting at 94.

Angela Lansbury still acting at 94.

Christopher Plummer still acting at 90.

Ed Asner still acting at 90.

Sidney Poitier celebrated his 93rd birthday yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Hal Holbrook and Eva Marie Saint are both 95

Joanne Woodward, (Mrs. Paul Newman), joins this list today. Joan Plowright, (Mrs. Laurence Olivier), also belongs here, as does Hardy Kruger, The Flight Of The Phoenix, who is 90+ too.

Joss Ackland was 92 on February 29

diplomatic-immunity.jpg

Songwriter, lyricist Stephen Sondheim joins up here from yesterday.

Lee Fierro RIP, Mrs. Kintner, from Jaws, shudda been here.

Veteran filmmaker Roger Corman is 94 while Earl Holliman, (Giant, Forbidden Planet, Gunfight at OK Corral etc.) is 92 and counting.

Vera Miles, luminous star of The Searchers, '...Liberty Valance' etc. (yes, was watching last night) belongs on this list.

• Advertisement

Bob Newhart also.

Advertisement