Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fairy rings

• 12-05-2019 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

What are peoples thoughts on these, have a fairly overgrown piece of land thst has neve been touched or grazed due to it being occupied by fairies, I would like to clean up this area and use it for grazing but am told that it would be very unlucky to do so, any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Is it a protected structure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Don't do it, it's not worth it. Why upset the fairy folk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Ah on the plus side you can blame anything that goes wrong on the fairies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’d Leave it the way it is. Hardly that much land in it? The fairy’s have to live too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭DJ98

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I’d Leave it the way it is. Hardly that much land in it? The fairy’s have to live too.

2 to 2.5 acres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There are only fairy forts if you think they are. They are however ring forts of some description and protected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

DJ98 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on these, have a fairly overgrown piece of land thst has neve been touched or grazed due to it being occupied by fairies, I would like to clean up this area and use it for grazing but am told that it would be very unlucky to do so, any thoughts?

If it's marked on this map i'd leave it alone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

2 to 2.5 acres

That's a lot of fairies, they're only like daffodils.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

In reality, 2 acres is feck all nowadays...

50 or 100 years ago, 2 acres was a lot of land. But even then - they left these places alone...

I’d be if the opinion to leave it alone, not cos of the fairies, but more cos of the history. I wouldn’t like to be the one in a line of people that tore the place up...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

We've one on our land and my Grandmother warned us as kids to not go near it. My father wasn't as superstitious but would still say 'it's better not to touch it'.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭kk.man

Sean Quinn moved on for a quarry. I wouldn't go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

I would leave it alone , small things will start to go wrong. For your own peace of mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

2 to 2.5 acres

What do you mean by 'fairy ring'? There are raths or ringforts and these are normally national monuments and protected but they would normally be about 30-50 yards or so in diameter so nowhere near 2+ acres. The only enclosures that size are the large hilltop forts and the like and these are most defitinely protected monuments. But sometimes people refer to fairy rings as places where you get patterns of fungi and sometimes they are places associated with burials. Most townlands had cillíns in them, places where you could bury infants that died during childbirth or very young before baptism etc.

In general as regards raths and cillíns, they are associated with human habitation and burial respectively and I think that is why the tradition of not disturbing them exists. Just out of respect for those that have gone before us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

mikeymouse wrote: »

Just checked that map and I've one on my own land
    Looked at it on Google maps taken during the dry spell last year and yep perfect dark green ciircle about 200 ft across never knew of it before and the father never knew of it as his father never mentioned it either .
    At least now I can put any of the family's unfortunate happenings down to tilling that the last 70 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭DJ98

BarryD2 wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'fairy ring'? There are raths or ringforts and these are normally national monuments and protected but they would normally be about 30-50 yards or so in diameter so nowhere near 2+ acres. The only enclosures that size are the large hilltop forts and the like and these are most defitinely protected monuments. But sometimes people refer to fairy rings as places where you get patterns of fungi and sometimes they are places associated with burials. Most townlands had cillíns in them, places where you could bury infants that died during childbirth or very young before baptism etc.

In general as regards raths and cillíns, they are associated with human habitation and burial respectively and I think that is why the tradition of not disturbing them exists. Just out of respect for those that have gone before us.

It is said that in this piece of ground that there was a fariy ring, and that it would be unlucky to touch anything with in it or around it, i think it's just a wise old tale

• Registered Users Posts: 81,055 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I know a family who interfered with one and got unexplained ultra incredible bad luck, no way to explain it in normal stats where members of their family died in crazy circumstances. Normally I think away with the fairies but I'd not touch one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

BarryD2 wrote: »

I was passing by a Rath today that was 6 acres in area enclosed by a double ditch. In the Norman times a house was built inside with a circular high wall then built around the perimeter of the Rath. They also had the highest flagpole in the country till recent times to communicate with ships.

In that same area there looks to be a Neolithic circler monument with numerous rings. According to Google maps there seems to have been an archaeological dig on a part of it.
    I wouldn't have had a clue about the monument only I was looking at Google maps to see where I was after travelling when I got home. It only seems to have survived because it was in a remote area not really suited much to farming up till nowadays.

Even in my own locality Raths could go and went to nearly 2 acres. But there's been huge destruction of these down through the years.

Edit: on that 6 acre Rath. The link provided on this thread. States that it could be a fort built by Danes or an important Roman era/ Celtic Druidic place of worship. I suppose it's no harm to say the location is Ballytrent house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭148multi

I know a family who interfered with one and got unexplained ultra incredible bad luck, no way to explain it in normal stats where members of their family died in crazy circumstances. Normally I think away with the fairies but I'd not touch one now.

Think they're protected within 70 meters, wasn't there a farmer in meath that got fined 23,000 for leveling one.
    a man down here tidyed up around a monument, a square of 6 x 4 of stone walls, roof gone years ago and was leveled. But it was marked as part of the monument. Hefty Court fine in the circuit court, 3 years 100 % farm payment, he was getting over 70,000. Its believed it cost him over 300,000 altogether. They are a signature of previous generations,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

mikeymouse wrote: »

Jesus, there's some amount of forts on that. I see some marked in our land that I've never known existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are people saying 'leave well alone' doing it tongue in cheek?

Surely adults aren't putting any store in such nonsense.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

No, superstition is very much alive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

And surely a happy medium can be reached between leaving it as it stands and destroying it entirely.

ganmo wrote: »
    No, superstition is very much alive

A fella told me the fairies turned him into a frog!!! :eek:

Unbelievable.
    In the 21st century too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Unbelievable.
    In the 21st century too!

There are also fines and penalties for impacting listed archaeological features and they are very much part of the 21st century ...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm actually glad people believe in this superstitious nonsense, it's acted as a protection on national monuments.

gozunda wrote: »
    There are also fines and penalties for impacting listed archaeological features and they are very much part of the 21st century ...

I'm not talking about archaeological sites, if that's what they are.

But 'fairy rings'.

If the former, of course leave well alone.

If the latter, catch yourself on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I'm not talking about archaeological sites, if that's what they are.

But 'fairy rings'.

If the former, of course leave well alone.

If the latter, catch yourself on

What’s the difference, like, how could I tell between the former and latter?

Unbelievable.
    In the 21st century too!

Your thinking is not a new phenomenon.

The early Christian missionaries in this country set up churches and monasteries in places formally occupied by the druids in a bid to wipe out any trace of their existence and bring the country into the 5th century.

• Advertisement

What’s the difference, like, how could I tell between the former and latter?

By checking the map in one of the posts above

Advertisement