Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a diesel Toyota no longer making

Options
  • 12-05-2019 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I’m interested in a 2 year old Toyota Verso but would this be a bad buy with Toyota no longer making this car or any diesel car. Suits my needs now but would it be hard to trade in in a few years time. Opinions appreciated.
    TIA
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Apache72 wrote: »
    I’m interested in a 2 year old Toyota Verso but would this be a bad buy with Toyota no longer making this car or any diesel car. Suits my needs now but would it be hard to trade in in a few years time. Opinions appreciated.
    TIA

We are a long long way from phasing diesels off the roads in Ireland so it’s not something that I would be worried about personally. There will always be a buyer for it.

How long would you intend keeping it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Verso itself is no longer made by Toyota so if buying a discontinued model doesn't worry you then which fuel type it is ain't going to make much difference either come resale time.

There is a lot of hyper bowling going around about diesels from taxing them out of existence to banning them outright depending on who you listen to and what vested interest they have. Reality is not everyone can afford a brand new car, not to mind a brand new hybrid or electric one so existing petrol and diesel cars will continue to find buyers for years to come. Yes eventually electric cars will start becoming mainstream and the sale of new diesel and petrol cars will decline but it will be in a phased approach which will take well over a decade to happen (probably longer in Ireland) and certainly won't happen overnight as some people would wish or have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Apache72

I’d plan to hold onto it for 5 years & get something smaller after that. Have had one previously & found it very practical & good space for my needs. Love the 3 seats in the 2nd row which you just don’t get in an SUV. A hybrid of the same size is just out of my price range. Yes, I guess it will take a decade for any real change with the diesels. Thanks for the feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

TIA

Only a bad buy if you don't need diesel engine....do you do the mileage for a diesel?

Apart from that the diesel engines in Toyota are solid and you will be able to resell....

Diesel will be dead in 20-30 years time....I doubt the car will be around that long

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Apache72

Doing about 23,000 Kim’s a year. Rural driving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Doing about 23,000 Kim’s a year. Rural driving

It's not the total but the type of driving. Loads of long distance trips then diesel best option

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Just a brief point on the trade in value, if you keep it for 5 years when you go to trade it in it will be 7 years old and you will get nothing for it. You may be better off to buy straight and sell the verso on donedeal. It’s easy enough to sell a car that age once it’s clean and has nct etc. It works out a lot cheaper to change that way as you have more leverage to get a discount on a straight purchase.

Advertisement