Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unmarked speed van

Options
  • 11-05-2019 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I was driving on the M50 this morning and noticed a unmarked speed van, it looked like a regular van but I noticed the radar/camera through the rear window as I drove by. Fortunately I wasn't speeding but I was surprised as I was under the impression that speed vans had to be marked and clearly visible.

Is this correct or can they speed vans be unmarked?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The GoSafe ones that can issue fines have to be marked, they have unmarked ones for surveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

SullieN wrote:
    Is this correct or can they speed vans be unmarked?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The gardai have a white and a red one. Usually there is a small sign on the front doors of the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I know in Galway they use a white high roof transit. Back windows are tinted except for bottom piece on drivers side. You will see camera just as you pass it. There is also an air vent on roof. Doesn’t stay too long in same spot. Garda sits in back. Van goes between Limerick and Galway.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/speed-signs-rural-roads-replaced-2835851

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

I saw that van too this morning, wasn't sure on my speed, around 100😫, no markings on it as far as I could see, and orange work lights on the roof, but defiantly camera in the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭homik

Whereabout on the M50 did you see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

homik wrote: »

I spotted a Van like that just past the Finglas Jct the other day, wasn't marked and was a bit concerned about it as I was in the overtaking side at the time and would have gone over a bit. Hopefully it's just a survey van and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SullieN

homik wrote: »

Northbound between exit 4 and 5. At around 9am

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭easyvision

Saw one the other morning on rock rd. Was bit paranoid after I passed

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭easyvision

Saw one the other morning on rock rd. Was bit paranoid after I passed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Guards use the vans. They're unmarked and don't require markings as they are garda vans and not gosafe. And yes they will give you a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Guards use the vans. They're unmarked and don't require markings as they are garda vans and not gosafe. And yes they will give you a ticket.

BS. They are survey Van's. They survey the speed of passing vehicles and calculate how many are exceeding the SL.
    Expect real gosafe/garda speed Van's soon !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It's not bs. Unmarked vans are being used by both Garda and Gosafe. The difference is unmarked Gosafe van will not issue a fine.
    Garda will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

wonski wrote: »
    It's not bs. Unmarked vans are being used by both Garda and Gosafe. The difference is unmarked Gosafe van will not issue a fine.
    Garda will.

Can confirm. A few years back I got points and a fine from an unmarked transit at the side of the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

shanec1928 wrote: »
    The gardai have a white and a red one. Usually there is a small sign on the front doors of the van.

The Garda vans are usually well hidden. Increasing danger on the road due to people braking last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Garda Van also has ANPR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The Garda vans are usually well hidden. Increasing danger on the road due to people braking last minute.

The people driving fast enough that they have to brake are the danger.

The people driving fast enough that they have to brake are the danger.

People driving at the speed limit brake when they see a van. I have seen many people decelerate rapidly from 100 -> 80 when they see a van even though the limit is 100.

Hiding the vans out of view results in people just hitting the brake as a reflex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The only thing I thought was that speedo van's weren't used on Motorways that it was always guards with the speed cam simply because having a speedo van might spook someone into braking suddenly and actually CAUSING a pileup (irony factor). I've only ever seen guards on the motorways or on slip roads checking traffic I've never actually seen em on the like's of the M50 and even the one I thought might be one was completely unmarked. The M7 works were the only exception of course because they're enforcing a reduced speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I use the m50 almost daily for many years now and have never seen a speed van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,753 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Infini wrote: »
    The only thing I thought was that speedo van's weren't used on Motorways that it was always guards with the speed cam simply because having a speedo van might spook someone into braking suddenly and actually CAUSING a pileup (irony factor). I've only ever seen guards on the motorways or on slip roads checking traffic I've never actually seen em on the like's of the M50 and even the one I thought might be one was completely unmarked. The M7 works were the only exception of course because they're enforcing a reduced speed limit.

Nope, the vans can be on motorways too, albeit usually fairly rare.

I came across a Gosafe one parked up on the M7 just beyond exit 15 eastbound a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I can also confirm the guards have white vans with the camera mounted on the side doors rather than the back door. Allows for alternative positioning of the van.

OP: The guards do not have to have a marked van & can park anywhere.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

BronsonTB wrote: »
    I can also confirm the guards have white vans with the camera mounted on the side doors rather than the back door. Allows for alternative positioning of the van.

OP: The guards do not have to have a marked van & can park anywhere.

3/4 of the van behind a tree or hedge usually.

Advertisement