Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sat nav for Merc GLA

Options
  • 02-05-2019 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

My 2018 Mercedes GLA doesn't have Sat Nav,but has slot for sd card. When I lush button Navi msg says insert card. Merc dealer says car does t come with necessary software etc. It would cast €700 plus. Have I a cheaper option? All advice welcome.
    thanks,P.L
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does it do CarPlay/Android auto?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Buy a mobile phone holder for the car and use either Google Maps or Waze on your phone. I certainly wouldn't be spending money on built in Sat Nav these days. Failing that you can buy a portable sat nav with free lifetime map updates for well under €100 these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bazz26 wrote: »
    Buy a mobile phone holder for the car and use either Google Maps or Waze on your phone. I certainly wouldn't be spending money on built in Sat Nav these days. Failing that you can buy a portable sat nav with free lifetime map updates for well under €100 these days.

I bought the maps for my car when I got it, they were already out of date when I installed them. They also don't have traffic updates in this country so no good compared to Google or other maps on your phone.

iognaid wrote: »
    My 2018 Mercedes GLA doesn't have Sat Nav,but has slot for sd card. When I lush button Navi msg says insert card. Merc dealer says car does t come with necessary software etc. It would cast €700 plus. Have I a cheaper option? All advice welcome.
    thanks,P.L

I'm open to correction on my post here.

But, a lot of cars are floating around, that are missing optional extras that are actually on them, but just disabled by the dealer/factory.

For example, I used to have a Citroen C5. It had no daytime running lights. Well, it actually did; the bulbs were there, the wiring was done, etc. but they couldn't actually be used as there was no option on any of the menus to turn them on or off.

Took about 10 minutes at a Citroen dealer to activate them using their computer.

I'd be confident it's a similar set up to yours. You don't necessarily need a dealer to charge you €700, what you need is someone with the right equipment to enable the optional extra (sat nav, in your case).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

But, a lot of cars are floating around, that are missing optional extras that are actually on them, but just disabled by the dealer/factory.

For example, I used to have a Citroen C5. It had no daytime running lights. Well, it actually did; the bulbs were there, the wiring was done, etc. but they couldn't actually be used as there was no option on any of the menus to turn them on or off.

Took about 10 minutes at a Citroen dealer to activate them using their computer.

I'd be confident it's a similar set up to yours. You don't necessarily need a dealer to charge you €700, what you need is someone with the right equipment to enable the optional extra (sat nav, in your case).

What you describe is pretty rare, usually there is hardware missing such as gps antenna or different firmware etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The actual maps will cost €700, built in sat nav is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Del2005 wrote: »
    The actual maps will cost €700, built in sat nav is a rip off.

It is a rip-off. It was built into the spec level of my last 2 cars but I regularly use a car with phone attachment also.

Built-in way-way-way better usability for something I find an extremely useful feature

Advertisement