Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cvrt vs nct?

Options
  • 30-04-2019 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Iv been used to driving cars and nct'ing them for years , but recently purchased a opel combo van and know I have to get it cvrt tested or DOE tested . Is there much difference in terms of the the 2 tests apart from price wise ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Speaking only from personal experience, the CVRT seems to be an easier test to pass.

Last year I passed with a 10 year old Corolla van after having zero prep work done. The following year it failed on wipers, foggy headlights and a blown bulb or two, very minor problems.

I’ll be buying a cheap runaround later this year and it’ll probably be a van for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Yes I have heard it's a bit more chilled than a nct , but they do check brakes suspension emissions etc right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Yes I have heard it's a bit more chilled than a nct , but they do check brakes suspension emissions etc right ?

They do indeed. Not sure how strenuously they check though, as the same Corolla passed with a drivers side wheel bearing that was almost completely shot, to the extent where she was pulling towards the sodden when going over 80k.

Furthermore I’d say that a rural test center would possibly be more lenient than an urban one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Noveight wrote: »
    They do indeed. Not sure how strenuously they check though, as the same Corolla passed with a drivers side wheel bearing that was almost completely shot, to the extent where she was pulling towards the sodden when going over 80k.

Furthermore I’d say that a rural test center would possibly be more lenient than an urban one.

I think your right, there is about 4-5 test centres in a 30mile radius of me , one is right in the town not many people use it and opt for the father out one out of town :)

Advertisement