Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painful Period

• 25-04-2019 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

I've always had painful periods growing up. They have always been niggling away at me but the last couple of months its a whole new level. One day a month now I am in constant pain with cramps, and now vomiting.
    I am on Ponstan but its making no difference.
    I need to make an apt to see my doctor but before I do, has anyone else ever tried anything stronger than Ponstan, thats if there is anything stronger than it.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭Caranica

I've always had painful periods growing up. They have always been niggling away at me but the last couple of months its a whole new level. One day a month now I am in constant pain with cramps, and now vomiting.
    I am on Ponstan but its making no difference.
    I need to make an apt to see my doctor but before I do, has anyone else ever tried anything stronger than Ponstan, thats if there is anything stronger than it.
    Thanks!

Ponstan is only a baby step up from Panadol, there's plenty more out there. What you're going through sounds horrendous and not like anything I've heard before. Please get yourself to a doctor asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh no, please don't ignore this and reach for stronger pankillers. Say it to a GP and push it if it's not addressed properly.

I'm in my 40's. I have friends my age who accepted horribly painful periods for years. They were left with so much scar tissue from undiagnosed endometriosis that they can't have children. I'm not saying this to scare you, but very painful periods, to the point of vomitting , is a serious symptom.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

I've been taking Ponstan for years as have similar periods to you, diagnosed as endometriosis.
    My main pain relief though has been to stay on the pill as it definitely lessens the effects, obviously this might not suit everyone but it's the only way of keeping the pain under control for me where I don't miss a day's work each month!

If this wouldn't work for you I'm sure your doctor could prescribe something stronger than ponstan, the trick with ponstan is to take it before you actually start getting cramps and it should lessen the intensity of them, best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Same as the poster above, I was also taking Ponston for years before being diagnosed with Endo & being treated for it.

Ask your GP for a gyn referral. I also found the well woman clinic very helpful - might be worth booking an appointment with them while waiting on your referral.

I'm still not pain free but it's a lot more managable and only take painkillers the odd time rather than eating them like smarties.

Advertisement