Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 2 "A Knight of the 7 Kin" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Widow's wail? Jaime has it no ? Thought that was the sword he knights Brienne with.

Yeah Tywin had Ice made into two swords - Widow's Wail was Joffrey's and Jaime took it after he died as he gave his sword, Oathkeeper, to Brienne.

There's enough valaryian steel in Winterfell at this stage it seems like a common thing when there's really only a few swords throughout Westeros made of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

4 swords and a dagger isn't it?
    Widows wail, Oathkeeper, Longclaw and Heartsbane
    Then the un-named dagger that Arya has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sparko

Tazzimus wrote: »

No, Longclaw is a Mormont heirloom and the dagger was unrelated too, it appears before Ned is killed and Ice is melted down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

The dagger that Arya has is the Valyrian Steel one that was used to try to kill Bran. Baelish gave it to Bran, Bran gave it to Arya and Arya opened Baelish's throat with it.
    Unless you mean the weapon that Gendry made for her. I think that was Dragon Glass, and it was a double ended spear(possibly detachable based on the sketch). Needle is just plain old steel.

Yep I think that's all the Valaryian steel that's in Winterfell now. There's obviously a few more scattered across the kingdoms but they've got a good portion of them there now which will hopefully be a good thing!

• Advertisement

Sparko wrote: »
    No, Longclaw is a Mormont heirloom and the dagger was unrelated too, it appears before Ned is killed and Ice is melted down.
    I was referring to the line about plenty of Valeryian steel being in Wintefell, that's what's there at the mo.
    The dagger that Arya has is the Valyrian Steel one that was used to try to kill Bran. Baelish gave it to Bran, Bran gave it to Arya and Arya opened Baelish's throat with it.
    Unless you mean the weapon that Gendry made for her. I think that was Dragon Glass, and it was a double ended spear(possibly detachable based on the sketch). Needle is just plain old steel.

Nope, I mean the dagger, I know who used to own it, it didn't have a name, at least not one that we heard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Yeah Tywin had Ice made into two swords - Widow's Wail was Joffrey's and Jaime took it after he died as he gave his sword, Oathkeeper, to Brienne.

There's enough valaryian steel in Winterfell at this stage it seems like a common thing when there's really only a few swords throughout Westeros made of it!

Lyn Corbray and Lady Forlorn are there in spirit.

I'm fairly sure in the books Bloodraven will give Bran Dark Sister as well and Arya will wield it. Or Meera, perhaps.

They're going to have the bulk of the Westerosi Valerian Steel swords on site.

Nope, I mean the dagger, I know who used to own it, it didn't have a name, at least not one that we heard

Keep thinking of The Hound's opinion of the 'lots of people' who name their swords....
    'aye lots of c**ts' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Course Berics flaming sword is nearly as good as valarian steel when it comes to fighting dead guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

....... wrote: »
    Course Berics flaming sword is nearly as good as valarian steel when it comes to fighting dead guys.

For wights yeah but it won't do anything to the White Walkers (I think?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Phuck me, I've heard it all now... How many battles did you fight in in the FCA?? Being dug in on cemetery hill doesn't count.

The FCA were at Gettysburg? :eek:

Daith wrote: »
    For wights yeah but it won't do anything to the White Walkers (I think?)

No, in fact, didn't the first WW that Jon Snow fought at Hardhome walk through flames and put them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Pity she didn't have a go on Podricks magic cock but he was too busy singing ballads.

Maybe they should put a dragonglass condom on him and send him forth to swing it at the army of the dead.

storker wrote: »
    Maybe they should a dragonglass condom on him and send him forth to swing it at the army of the dead.

Put him fighting next to Grey Worm. The cockless and the cockfull.

No, in fact, didn't the first WW that Jon Snow fought at Hardhome walk through flames and put them out?

Yeah, same thing happened at that battle on the frozen lake. Flames, just parted in front of him, so a regular flame will not do the job.

Though we don't know how Beric sets his sword aflame. I think Thoros in the books did it with wildfire and Robert had to keep buying him new swords because they kept breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Though we don't know how Beric sets his sword aflame. I think Thoros in the books did it with wildfire and Robert had to keep buying him new swords because they kept breaking.

Was it something to do with his blood? Doesn't he run the blade through his hand before it bursts into flame?

His blood sets it on fire. Lord of Light powers and all that.

check_six wrote: »
    Was it something to do with his blood? Doesn't he run the blade through his hand before it bursts into flame?

That sounds about right.

His blood sets it on fire. Lord of Light powers and all that.

It used to, but he didn't do that North of the Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It used to, but he didn't do that North of the Wall.

The facts beg to differ;

4:10

• Advertisement

Witcher wrote: »
    The facts beg to differ;

4:10

They certainly do.

I'd put that down to error more than anything, fairly sure he's done it the normal way every other time

I'd put that down to error more than anything, fairly sure he's done it the normal way every other time

Gotta love boards.ie, you provide the proof only to be told its an error!

According to this article - he doesnt need blood in the show:

https://winteriscoming.net/2019/04/17/how-does-beric-dondarrions-flaming-sword-work-richard-dormer-explains/
    The first time we saw Beric Dondarrion (Richard Dormer) ignite his sword in flames, he used his own blood, cutting his hand and then lighting up the dark cave where he was fighting the Hound during his trial by combat in season 3.

We didn’t see Beric pull off this trick again until season 8, only this time he (and Thoros of Myr) merely waved their hands over their swords to ignite them. Later Dondarrion would even forgo that action, flicking his sword on as if by some hidden switch. So how exactly does his magic lightsaber flaming sword work? Dormer explained it to INSIDER this way: “He says two words in Valyrian which means ‘god’s light.’ And that makes it poof.”

In fact - the source for the above article:

https://www.thisisinsider.com/game-of-thrones-how-beric-lights-fire-sword-2019-4

says:
    Dormer also said Beric can merely think about the spell (and not say it out loud) to get the sword to catch on fire.

"When he's in the trial [on season three], he uses blood to light it, but he doesn't need blood and he doesn't need to do any of that," Dormer said. "He just goes [gestures as if holding a sword] and thinks about the Lord of Light."

Dormer pronounced the two Valyrian words for us, which sounded to us like "assundeh-oh."

So there you go. No blood needed, no words even needed, just thoughts................

.... I meant error as in from the show side of things, now it just seems more like lazy writing than anything.
    Books never explained how he did it (that I'm aware of) but thinking a spell just seems a bit lazy considering R'hllor is all about sacrifices, hence the cutting himself to ignite the sword.

Plus those articles raise more questions than anything;
    Why did he use blood the first time if he doesn't need to
    Why does he wave his hand over his sword like a cheap magician if he doesn't need to

It's all very inconsistent.

Anyway..

It's all very inconsistent.

And that its not even clear within the show but something you have to learn from an interview with the actor.....

I agree, lazy writing and inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Yeah but the septons private diary still exists in the citadel.

And given that they have found it written down once - who knows where else it might be written down.

Sam told Dany he had stolen some books from the Citadel, could this have been one of them and she will put 2 & 2 together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Sam told Dany he had stolen some books from the Citadel, could this have been one of them and she will put 2 & 2 together?

Wonder will she be adding him to the list of barbecued Tarlys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

So there you go. No blood needed, no words even needed, just thoughts................
    Presumably he has already sacrificed enough to be granted this power or maybe the sacrifice will be expected later.

As an aside the 1980s classic fantasy RPG Runequest had a similar way of getting spells from gods through sacrificing POW which was something like lifeforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Does anyone but me want the last image of GOT's, to be Cersei on the throne with an evil smile on her face?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Does anyone but me want the last image of GOT's, to be Cersei on the throne with an evil smile on her face?

Like Atia in the final scene of HBO's Rome, except as the actual queen rather than just the queen mother...

I've predicted a final victory for Cersei so yes I would like to see that if only for the aftertiming thrill:p but I'm struggling to see how it happens the way the story is developing...

Advertisement