Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Idiot motorcyclists on the roads.

Options
  • 21-04-2019 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭

Have done a fair bit of driving over this weekend, the lovely weather has all the bikers out which is great to see. I’m a former biker myself and I understand the risks involved, most of the time you’re looking out for idiot car drivers.

But I have to say, the level of absolute insane driving I’ve seen from some bikers this weekend is shocking. Overtaking on double yellows around bends on main roads, others well in excess of 100mph on motorways, overtaking and undertaking, general dangerous driving, tailgating, pushing cars up the toad. Just shocking.

I know it’s the first weekend of sun and you’re going to have a lot of bikers out for the first time this year, I’m just waiting on the bad news that someone will die this weekend. It’s absolutely predictable.

Slow down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

nothing worse than getting pushed up a toad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Have done a fair bit of driving over this weekend, the lovely weather has all the bikers out which is great to see. I’m a former biker myself and I understand the risks involved, most of the time you’re looking out for idiot car drivers.

But I have to say, the level of absolute insane driving I’ve seen from some bikers this weekend is shocking. Overtaking on double yellows around bends on main roads, others well in excess of 100mph on motorways, overtaking and undertaking, general dangerous driving, tailgating, pushing cars up the toad. Just shocking.

I know it’s the first weekend of sun and you’re going to have a lot of bikers out for the first time this year, I’m just waiting on the bad news that someone will die this weekend. It’s absolutely predictable.

Slow down.

The only thing is that there's a fair chance if they cause an accident then they'll be the only one coming off badly out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Homer

It take a special kind of stupid to drive a motorbike recklessly. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Leave them at it. The country is short on organ donors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

It's quite easy to become outraged at motorbikes from the perspective of your car but in reality the maneuvers are not at all dangerous when being performed by an experienced biker who has better observational and situational awareness than any car driver has

As someone who claimsto have driven bikes I'm surprised at your post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

an experienced biker doesnt necessarily have better observational and situational awareness than a car driver.

thete are idiot car drivers and idiot bikers. the world is full of them.
    ive seen plenty of bikers drive in a way that should have them removed from the road but unless theyre caught/killed they wont be.
    same with car drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

OP, are you a cyclist by any chance? no way would a motorcyclist or even a former one write that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Slow down.
    McCrack wrote: »
    It's quite easy to become outraged at motorbikes from the perspective of your car but in reality the maneuvers are not at all dangerous when being performed by an experienced biker who has better observational and situational awareness than any car driver has

As someone who claimsto have driven bikes I'm surprised at your post

What about an inexperienced biker?

an experienced biker doesnt necessarily have better observational and situational awareness than a car driver.

thete are idiot car drivers and idiot bikers. the world is full of them.
    ive seen plenty of bikers drive in a way that should have them removed from the road but unless theyre caught/killed they wont be.
    same with car drivers.

Driving a motorbike gives you far better awareness because you have a better view peripheral and straight ahead and also the sound of the road.. What's around you.. No blind spots (door pillars etc).. There is no comparison to sitting in the comfort of what is effectively a metal cage

Brian Scan wrote: »
    What about an inexperienced biker?

Well that wouldn't be advised

Always drive to your limits

Yeah they all know what they're doing so let them do what they like. Yet another of the "suit myself" attitudes here.

First one to mention 'metal cage' gets the twat medal.

Edit - ah, too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Homer wrote: »
    It take a special kind of stupid to drive a motorbike recklessly. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Leave them at it. The country is short on organ donors.

Horrible attitude to have.
    There's been a child cycling killed and some car drivers as well this weekend.
    Handy seen as donors are needed is it?
    Or is it just motorcyclist donors you want?

blade1 wrote: »

The majority of motorbike riders ride them like they're asking to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

OP, are you a cyclist by any chance? no way would a motorcyclist or even a former one write that.

Not a cyclist.

Former bike rider for the guts of 10 years when I didn’t even own a car. It’s just some of the stuff I’ve seen over the last few days absolutely shocked me.

The majority of motorbike riders ride them like they're asking to be.

Can u show me the stats to back that statement up?
    So the accidents that aren't caused by bikers,the person at fault dies,we should be happy because we need donors?
    Seriously?

Can u show me the stats to back that statement up?
    So the accidents that aren't caused by bikers,the person at fault dies,we should be happy because we need donors?
    Seriously?

No stats, just this magical thing of actually seeing them riding wrecklessly. On the actual roads instead of numbers on the internet. Amazing, I know.

No stats, just this magical thing of actually seeing them riding wrecklessly. On the actual roads instead of numbers on the internet. Amazing, I know.

More amazing that you've encountered every biker to judge them all.

Not a cyclist.

Former bike rider for the guts of 10 years when I didn’t even own a car. It’s just some of the stuff I’ve seen over the last few days absolutely shocked me.

No problem, you have a right to your opinion and that has to be accepted.

Can you give a few different examples of what you seen/experienced? I'm curious to know as the only stupidity i have seen of late is car drivers trying to cut up motorcyclists and i'm a car driver myself.

Was it actual motorbikes or scooters/mopeds?

Give a more detailed explanation of wreckless please? What are they doing exactly?

More amazing that you've encountered every biker to judge them all.

And every state would take every last single one of them into account? Ever heard of sample sizes?

How you judge recklessness from the perspective of your car to the reality of the situation is far far different

• Advertisement

Give a more detailed explanation of wreckless please? What are they doing exactly?

The vast majority breaking speed limits by large margins (and I don't give a toss what you say about experienced rider blah blah, limits are limits) being the main one by a mile but generally they just ride like they think they're invincible. The roads aren't for showing off.

The vast majority breaking speed limits by large margins (and I don't give a toss what you say about experienced rider blah blah, limits are limits) being the main one by a mile but generally they just ride like they think they're invincible. The roads aren't for showing off.

Where did i mention that? You are getting me mixed up there i'd say.

Just to be devils advocate here, if you see that stuff fine but, do you:

Stop at stop lines?
    Never run red lights?
    Always use indicators and correctly?
    Always check your blind spots in your car for pedestrians.cyclists.motorcyclists/other vehicles.
    Never break speed limits?

If you answer yes to all of the above you are a liar, we all infringe the rules of the road at some point, maybe not deliberately, but we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A lot of the bikers you're seeing in groups out in the sun are the inexperienced ones who've had their bike tucked away under cover for most of the year and are often on bikes that are too much for them. If you're only going out a few weekends a year and in ideal conditions I don't think you can consider yourself experienced. Even if you've been on bikes for years, you can't just wheel out on a a sunny day after 9 months off the road and expect to be on 100% form.

Where did i mention that? You are getting me mixed up there i'd say.

Just to be devils advocate here, if you see that stuff fine but, do you:

Stop at stop lines?
    Never run red lights?
    Always use indicators and correctly?
    Always check your blind spots in your car for pedestrians.cyclists.motorcyclists/other vehicles.
    Never break speed limits?

If you answer yes to all of the above you are a liar, we all infringe the rules of the road at some point, maybe not deliberately, but we do.

Yes. Always stop at stop lines.
    Yes. Never break red lights.
    No. Indicate on roundabouts unless I'm turning left.
    Yes. Always check blind spots by turning my head.
    Yes. Never ever break speed limits.
    Bonus: I even give bloody cyclists their 1.5m.

And the No above doesn't equate to some imbecile doing 200km/h being a complete menace on the roads.

Yes. Always stop at stop lines.
    Yes. Never break red lights.
    No. Indicate on roundabouts unless I'm turning left.
    Yes. Always check blind spots by turning my head.
    Yes. Never ever break speed limits.
    Bonus: I even give bloody cyclists their 1.5m.

And the No above doesn't equate to some imbecile doing 200km/h being a complete menace on the roads.

You come to a junction with a stop sign, you see the road is clear and you still stop? i'll call your bluff there, even i've done that.

When on a roundabout and you take the second exit (straight ahead in most cases) you don't indicate even though you should?

You check the blind spots on both sides not just one?

You never break it (speed limit) to overtake a car that is a 'sunday driver' so to speak?

i give cyclists the room myself.

Motorcyclists doing that speed need incarceration.

Let us not forget that one of our own here on boards.ie (frozenfrozen) was involved in a serious accident (fatal i believe) in which to the very best of my understanding they were not at fault but ended up badly hurt in hospital, people are very quick to apportion blame.

Any road user regardless if they are on their feet/2 wheels/4 wheels/ or a bus or artic etc will always have a percentage that are idiots, i've made plenty of mistakes myself over the course of my life and on the road, human beings are not perfect nor will we ever be.

You come to a junction with a stop sign, you see the road is clear and you still stop? i'll call your bluff there, even i've done that.

When on a roundabout and you take the second exit (straight ahead in most cases) you don't indicate even though you should?

You check the blind spots on both sides not just one?

You never break it to overtake a car that is a 'sunday driver' so to speak?

i give cyclists the room myself.

Motorcyclists doing that speed need incarceration.

Let us not forget that one of our own here on boards.ie (frozenfrozen) was involved in a serious accident (fatal i believe) in which to the very best of my understanding they were not at fault but ended up badly hurt in hospital, people are very quick to apportion blame.

Any road user regardless if they are on their feet/2 wheels/4 wheels/ or a bus or artic etc will always have a percentage that are idiots, i've made plenty of mistakes myself over the course of my life and on the road, human beings are not perfect nor will we ever be.

I indicate for straight ahead (left after the first exit), I said I don't if I'm going left (first exit). I do stop at stop lines, do check blind spots, and definitely don't speed (it's annoying how acceptable speeding is on this forum) but then again there's not much I can do to convince you of that is there? Yeah I make mistakes too, but nobody going 50+km/h over the speed limit is mistakenly doing it.

You're right there's percentages of all road users who are idiots, but from what I've always witnessed while driving is that motorbike riders are the only group where the idiots are the majority, which is even more questionable behaviour where the crumple zone is your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Homer

If you bothered your arse to actually read my post before you threw your toys out of you pram you would see I was specifically talking about motorcyclists driving recklessly :rolleyes:
    Out in the sun a bit too long today were we

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

If drove down country on Thursday and back yesterday... saw crazy driving from both bikers and car drivers.

Outside limerick a group of bikers let me in the dust. I had cruise control on 120 and they were easily doing 150-160. Another bunch were over taking on rural roads blind..frightened the hell out of me.

However, most drivers and bikers were fine. On the drive back up, two idiots were racing again I was doing 120 on the motorway and the car shook when I was overtaken by an Audi and a Range Rover (both English reg)..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I indicate for straight ahead (left after the first exit), I said I don't if I'm going left (first exit). I do stop at stop lines, do check blind spots, and definitely don't speed (it's annoying how acceptable speeding is on this forum) but then again there's not much I can do to convince you of that is there? Yeah I make mistakes too, but nobody going 50+km/h over the speed limit is mistakenly doing it.

You're right there's percentages of all road users who are idiots, but from what I've always witnessed while driving is that motorbike riders are the only group where the idiots are the majority, which is even more questionable behaviour where the crumple zone is your head.

Why don't you indicate if you're taking the first exit off the roundabout?

• Advertisement

Homer wrote: »
    If you bothered your arse to actually read my post before you threw your toys out of you pram you would see I was specifically talking about motorcyclists driving recklessly :rolleyes:
    Out in the sun a bit too long today were we
    Wasn't out at all today so another stupid statement from you.
    And I know exactly what your post said.
    It's you that missed my point so short of spelling it out to you I'll leave it at this.
    If somebody cycles out in front of a car,or a car hit a wall or a tree,you'll be hoping they die.

Advertisement