Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai i30 smoke. Mechanic can't find the problem

Options
  • 19-04-2019 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I recently bought a 2012 Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi, 84000 miles and it has an issue.

It starts perfectly fine, no issues until about 5minutes after starting when the car starts shaking (rough idle) and loooaaads of blue smoke starts coming out of the exhaust pipe. It has a strong, I would say petroly smell.

After about 20min if left idle or 8-10min if driving, the smoke disappears and surprisingly the car is performing perfectly fine (fule economy is good as well)

It looks as if it disappears when the engine warms up.
    It took it to the garage 5 days ago and they still haven't found the problem.
    They tested the injectors and they are fine, there are no error codes coming up, glow plugs are fine,egr valve seems to be working fine.

They think valve seals are not the problem as the smoke doesn't appear when starting, but only about 5 minutes after. If anyone has any idea what the issue might be please share. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

I googled what are the signs of a bad catalytic convertor and some of the symptoms you have mentioned ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

btwin0802 wrote: »
    I recently bought a 2012 Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi, 84000 miles and it has an issue.

It starts perfectly fine, no issues until about 5minutes after starting when the car starts shaking (rough idle) and loooaaads of blue smoke starts coming out of the exhaust pipe. It has a strong, I would say petroly smell.

After about 20min if left idle or 8-10min if driving, the smoke disappears and surprisingly the car is performing perfectly fine (fule economy is good as well)

It looks as if it disappears when the engine warms up.
    It took it to the garage 5 days ago and they still haven't found the problem.
    They tested the injectors and they are fine, there are no error codes coming up, glow plugs are fine,egr valve seems to be working fine.

They think valve seals are not the problem as the smoke doesn't appear when starting, but only about 5 minutes after. If anyone has any idea what the issue might be please share. Thanks

Blue smoke = engine burning oil.

When oil gets hotter, it starts getting through the seals somewhere, oil rings probably...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 btwin0802

noelf wrote: »
    I googled what are the signs of a bad catalytic convertor and some of the symptoms you have mentioned ??

It passed NCT just about a month ago with that blue smoke problem, so i think thats not the case

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Could be the seal on the fuel pump or the pump itself.

That engine used to give a problem where the oil level would increase..there was diesel getting into the oil and making the oil really thin.Almost like water and when it was so thin it was getting past the rings.

Ask your mechanic to check the oil level and see if its above the normal mark and if its like water.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 de Ville

Turbo seals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Egr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

At this rate, we'll have listed every component in the engine...

Bring to another mechanic.

Advertisement