Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

By 2037 Dublin Airport will be a massive hub with circa 50million annual passengers and possibly 3 terminals and ground transport will be provided by the 16 and 41. That's quite funny really. There is no other airport this size that is not rail connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What a clusterfuck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

Talking, planning, consulting, more talking, revised planning, more consulting, buisness cases, even more talking, political hold ups, new planning, revised studies, maybe its the wrong route, change of political opinions, new buisness cases............

But never ever actual, machines on the ground doing actually f***ing building. Welcome to train infrastructure in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The first Measure stated for Light Rail is to proceed with the construction of Metrolink subject to planning approval;

MEASURE LRT1 - Metrolink

It is intended to seek planning consent for MetroLink in 2022 and, subject to receipt of approval, to proceed with the construction of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I really dislike the cancelling projects that are advanced like dart underground and the looking at other projects. It’s a waste of money. Meanwhile the costs will only keep going up. Election cycles are all they care about and if you aren’t the one cutting the ribbon then you don’t care about it.

the greens are going to get themselves roasted in the next election and it will be 100% their own doing. They don’t give a toss about the environment they just use it as a handy rallying point occasionally. Ryan may be the worst politician in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Any delay to metrolink should have been a walk out of government breaking point for the greens, I've said it before...

Disgrace!

But they are all for as good as free motor tax and fuel on the most unsustainable mode of transport

• Registered Users Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

why the f*ck are people blaming the Greens for this one? decades and decades of ignoring public transport from FG/FF and the Greens are in power 5 minutes with a tiny minority party and cop the blame for this. I swear them getting in power was the best thing ever for FG/FF as the Greens just get the blame for everything now.

Yes they'll be gone at the next election but a few years in minority power is not the reason nothing ever gets f*cking built in this country.

Anyway lads, just give up on it, we'll all be dead and buried by the time anything happens here, although it's more likely nothing will ever get built at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Metrolink should be moved up the priority list, not down. The funding is available 100% from the European Investment Bank at near 0% interest, and long terms, but the Gov are talking about PPP funding.

[PPP is Public funds into Private Pockets - or Public takes the risk, and Private takes the Profits]. Under the current financial climate, the Gov can borrow money at a far lower rate than the private sector, and currently do not need to fudge the books to do it. The only 'special vehicles' will be Metro trains.

They should move directly into lining up preferred bidders, and indicative costings from them, all in parallel with seeking the Railway Order.

The Greens should walk or cycle out of Gov if they do not get this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

They are the green party - elected on an environmental mandate. They should have demanded 1 minister (transport & the environment) and then a list of projects which construction should commenced within 2 years of being in government - with the threat being a pull out of government if they hadn't started. I'm talking about ground breaking, not reviews about the feasibility.

Instead they have 3 senior and 4 junior ministries. I could understand a couple of junior ministries being environmental related but they don't need the ministries for children, tourism etc. They could have held the government to ransom on these projects but instead they have lined their pockets and have next to nothing to show for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

100%

If Ryan had any backbone or principles he should walk out of govt over this.

But of course the jellyfish will do no such thing and continue to pontificate about increased carbon taxes and cycle lanes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Are you all going to contact your green local td about this disgrace? The state finances are several billion ahead of where was forcecast only several months back... literally more than the cost of Metrolink found behind the couch. Total and utter banana republic .

Why have I been paying a marginal tax rate of fifty percent for years, to live somewhere worth third world infrastructure?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats the crux of it, the Greens dont have any red lines and are just in government for the perks. Its an absolute joke that any Green party is willing to go along with this. Not that FFG are absolved either but the Greens are supposed to be the bullwark on environmental issues, in that regard they are failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

For the record I never bought the green party spin in the first place. It was clear early on that Ryan was never, to put it kindly, a solutions orientated person.

Only a few weeks ago he was at the green party conference showing a power point slide of a high speed rail line from tuam to letterkenny. Pure day dreaming mush, no real solutions are going to be brought forward with this person in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

All talk. All platitudes. No conviction or honesty.

Imagine running off to a climate change conference to tell the world of our great and unwavering commitment to tackling climate change.

Meanwhile back home they are going about their business shelving public infrastructure projects for another decade.

Self aggrandising charlatans the lot of them.

Lol at Dart underground mothballed for two decades.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I am absolutely furious about the spin put on this by RTE.

On CB, she said 'It's official - a draft report has the Metrolink postponed by a decade.' or words to that effect.

So now a draft report is 'official'. The draft report 'seen by RTE' is a leak by its very nature. So now leaks are official. I suppose it depends on who is leaking it, so who was it? Not ER - he is in Cop (out) Glasgow.

So who was it that leaked the official draft report? Someone from Cork, or Dublin?

Would make you sick. There is no better time for such public investment. Yet our short sighted lot are happy to watch on as the Victorian rail system creeks every day.

Yesterday, I was on a half empty dart that arrived 10 minutes late into Connolly for a twenty minute journey.

After leaving on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Consonata

This is what will allegedly be built by 2042, I took the liberty of removing already existing Luas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,175 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Here is the Strategy.

Metrolink is going ahead.

Don't understand the fuss.

Cycling and Walking prioritised. Public transport next with Metrolink and DART+ proceeding as planned (with the usual delays thanks to consultation and objection). Bus Connects prioritised.

Eastern Bypass and the Leinster Orbital Route cancelled. Demand management on the M50, reduction in car parking in city centre.

New longer term objective of turning bus corridors into Luas lines as demand rises.

Pretty much everything the Greens want.

I mean like.. that's 21 years away

I'm not sure that that's exactly that impressive

The Greens should want the TBM in the ground ASAP, not next century. There is no reason to delay it, because it will be the greatest contributor to reducing car usage, car caused congestion, and air pollution. Electric cars are just green washing - they will still cause congestion.

Can this Gov actually get anything done - apart from reports, consultations and postponements?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I think some of the dart plus lines might be electrified by then too. Honestly if they achieve that much I'll be impressed. Initially I thought this document was a disaster based on what RTE said but it doesn't seem as bad as all that when you look at it.

Nothing has changed since yesterday, I don't know why people are losing their shıt. Metrolink has to go through planning, the plan commits to building it then.

I heard Varadkar on the 1 o clock news and he was spinning it as 'ah sure we will have hybrid buses'.Then some other muppet was on trying to say that the Phoenix Park tunnel is an adequate alternative to Dart Underground. Pass me the sick bucket, its just an absolute farce.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

While it's disappointing that they're not committing to build more, there doesn't seem to be much different than what we already knew.

"What I am confirming today is that by 2007 we will have the airport link done because that has been identified now as a government priority."

Minister for Transport Seamus Brennan, 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭zg3409

Dart + will probably be electric battery trains. Electric when under existing lines, batteries for stops beyond existing lines. Batteries charge on main line and overnight. They can be delivered if ordered, not yet on order. It will give a few stops beyond existing lines like greystones to Wicklow Town single line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,733 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there was some suggestion that they were looking at alternatives for South Dublin and also Dart Underground. The last plan proposed upgrading the Green Line to metro as it was apparently vital to increase capacity. Now they've said, nope no need, we're just going to assume everything will be fine.

You are right in that they haven't cancelled anything that had previously been committed to, but they've kicked everything 5 years down the road and basically canned anything extra that was previously in the "maybe" category. (Talking about 2042 is akin to committing to put a man on the moon, or bid for the Olympics - there will be half a dozen elections between now and then, and society will be substantially different to how it is now, it's so notional as to be meaningless.)

The assumption is that BusConnects will take the strain, a big assumption when it hasn't even gone to planning yet, 4 years after the first BC plan was published.

Advertisement