Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaf kit for uneven rear tyre wear

• 07-04-2019 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Has anyone had the (shim?) kit from Nissan fitted to correct the tyre wear on the back passenger side tyre of the Leaf? If so was it a success, and how much did it cost?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Orebro wrote: »
    Hey all. Has anyone had the (shim?) kit from Nissan fitted to correct the tyre wear on the back passenger side tyre of the Leaf? If so was it a success, and how much did it cost?

I got mine done by Nissan with some goodwill.

There’s also a garage in Kildare that can do it cheaper than Nissan. Phil in Electric Autos posted about them on Facebook last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi, old thread :)

I know this shim kit repair has to be done due to the NCT test and the 'rear axle side-slip/alignment test'
    mine was -17 back in 2018. Tolerance are +18 to -18, so I am right on the limit.

so more than likely I need to get it done, but wont really know until the NCT test.

My question is: is it dangerous to be driving the car in the state its in (-17 result for rear axle)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

obi604 wrote: »

I know this shim kit repair has to be done due to the NCT test and the 'rear axle side-slip/alignment test'
    mine was -17 back in 2018. Tolerance are +18 to -18, so I am right on the limit.

so more than likely I need to get it done, but wont really know until the NCT test.

My question is: is it dangerous to be driving the car in the state its in (-17 result for rear axle)

No, if it was it would be an NCT fail.

What it means for you is that you will have excessive tyre wear... thats all really.

KCross wrote: »
    No, if it was it would be an NCT fail.

What it means for you is that you will have excessive tyre wear... thats all really.

fair enough. but the NCT test was done in Nov 2018 (1.5 years ago) so between then and now, may have got a lot worse.

Look like my next NCT is Mar 2021 (with Corona etc, was supposed to be November 20)

Do I just simply wait until then and see what the NCT test result gives and action if needed i.e no overall major safety concerns in the mean time relates to the rear axle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The side slip test is not done for tyre wear. It means your car isn't driving straight, which could also mean it won't necessarily stop in a straight line in an emergency braking situation.

The OP's car is turning left 17 metres per kilometre as per the last NCT, they're probably used to the slight steering correction required but it's close to what is considered the safe limit.

• Advertisement

The side slip test is not done for tyre wear. It means your car isn't driving straight, which could also mean it won't necessarily stop in a straight line in an emergency braking situation.

The OP's car is turning left 17 metres per kilometre as per the last NCT, they're probably used to the slight steering correction required but it's close to what is considered the safe limit.

so in a nutshell, nothing totally major to worry about again until flagged in next NCT?

so in a nutshell, nothing totally major to worry about again until flagged in next NCT?

Unless you are planning to move the car on, go get the shim kit fitted. It will be better all round if you do that.

anyone know if I can order this shim kit from micks garage or even directly from Nissan or do Nissan even do this kind of order to a joe soap?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

anyone know if I can order this shim kit from micks garage or even directly from Nissan or do Nissan even do this kind of order to a joe soap?

It’s €500 supply and fit from Nissan from memory.
    There was also a garage in Kildare doing it for €250 or there about a as I remember Phil from electric autos talking about it on the Facebook group 2 years ago.

When the shim kit is done, is it advisable to replace the tyres also? Due to the rear ones wearing unevenly (and dont want these uneven tyres on after the fix?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

When the shim kit is done, is it advisable to replace the tyres also? Due to the rear ones wearing unevenly (and dont want these uneven tyres on after the fix?)

Depends on the wear. If you don't change them they should quickly wear back even, but you will have reduced grip on the rear until that happens. Check wear on different parts of tyre, ideally with something accurate to 0.5mm

thanks.

If one didn’t go down the main dealer route, who would be best to do this? A general mechanic or a tyre supplier. Or is this specialized?

I got a couple of replies from Nissan dealers along the lines of: we have never heard of this before or we have never done this job before etc

so Im thinking I might be as as well off to just go to an independent where the labour wont be the bones of 100 euro per hour etc

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

thanks.

If one didn’t go down the main dealer route, who would be best to do this? A general mechanic or a tyre supplier. Or is this specialized?

I got a couple of replies from Nissan dealers along the lines of: we have never heard of this before or we have never done this job before etc

so Im thinking I might be as as well off to just go to an independent where the labour wont be the bones of 100 euro per hour etc

Jumping on here as well, does anyone know how hard a job it is. I'd love to go to an indie, but Kildare is too far to travel from mayo for this. Can I buy from nicks garage and get my mechanic to do it??

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Jumping on here as well, does anyone know how hard a job it is. I'd love to go to an indie, but Kildare is too far to travel from mayo for this. Can I buy from nicks garage and get my mechanic to do it??

Yeah. Would love to know this

Hi

my rear axle is not in the best of shape. The 'rear axle side-slip/alignment test' was -17 back in 2018. Tolerance are +18 to -18, so I am right on the limit.

the rear tyres also have some uneven wear according to the last report. (outer: 2.5mm, middle: 3.0mm, inner: 3.5mm)

If I was to do the shim kit job and not replace the rear tyres for a few weeks - could the fact that the rear tyres have uneven wear upset the whole rear axle shim kit job.

No, get it done. It will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

No, get it done. It will be fine.

I rang my local Nissan dealer, they hadn't a clue about the issue or the shim kit (although they're not interested at the best of times anyway!). Rang a few tyre places and I may as well have been talking to the wall.

So I'm at a loss as to how to get this issue sorted. If you manage to get further than me please let me know I would appreciate it. Mine went through the NCT last time without issue, but I might not be as lucky next time.

I rang my local Nissan dealer, they hadn't a clue about the issue or the shim kit (although they're not interested at the best of times anyway!). Rang a few tyre places and I may as well have been talking to the wall.

So I'm at a loss as to how to get this issue sorted. If you manage to get further than me please let me know I would appreciate it. Mine went through the NCT last time without issue, but I might not be as lucky next time.

Just try a few local mechanics or a few other tyres shops. They should know whats required. Forget Nissan dealers.

Hi

my rear axle is not in the best of shape. The 'rear axle side-slip/alignment test' was -17 back in 2018. Tolerance are +18 to -18, so I am right on the limit.

the rear tyres also have some uneven wear according to the last report. (outer: 2.5mm, middle: 3.0mm, inner: 3.5mm)

If I was to do the shim kit job and not replace the rear tyres for a few weeks - could the fact that the rear tyres have uneven wear upset the whole rear axle shim kit job.

or the opposite of this, If I was to install new tyres now without doing SHIM yet, would this have an adverse affect on the tyres?

or the opposite of this, If I was to install new tyres now without doing SHIM yet, would this have an adverse affect on the tyres?

for a few weeks, probably no.... it will just wear then unevenly but over a few hundred km's it shouldnt be noticeable.

If you are going to do a few thousand km without the shim kit you will notice it and you can rotate the tyres to counteract it.

• Advertisement

I presume when it comes to NCT time that this will only have got worse.

What’s the chances of it not being an issue for the next NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Hi all,

I was in getting tyres today and the guy in the garage said he knows of a scrapped Leaf locally that is being broken for parts. Does anyone know what year Nissan resolved this issue - I don't know what year this Leaf is yet but its a 24Kwh of the same generation - if it were a 2016 or 2017 would it be worth taking the axle and fitting to mine? (Mines a late 132)

Hi all,

I was in getting tyres today and the guy in the garage said he knows of a scrapped Leaf locally that is being broken for parts. Does anyone know what year Nissan resolved this issue - I don't know what year this Leaf is yet but its a 24Kwh of the same generation - if it were a 2016 or 2017 would it be worth taking the axle and fitting to mine? (Mines a late 132)

Mine was a 2015 and it had the issue.

I've heard of some 2016's with it too. There doesnt seem to be a particular point where it was fixed and even when it was a problem not every car was affected so you'd be taking a chance and anyway the shim kit solution would be alot easier and cheaper to do.

Hey all, so finally got this 'shim kit' done.

Over the last few months, I mailed Nissan dealers, most hadn't a breeze what I was on about.
    Prices with Nissan ranged from 235 - 500 euro. What a cod really to have such a difference.
    Asked a few other tyre places etc and they just said bring it to the main dealer, not a job we do.

I got the job done today with my trusty local mechanic.
    He has his own old school way of measuring the alignment (he mentioned some dunlop device) and he said it was out by 50 'minutes' before he started the work (not sure what this means)
    He fitted the shim kit and tested again on his own old school device and its bang on Zero now.
    based on this, he says no need for tracking, unless I really want to

Total cost 137 Euro, delighted with this cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Hey all, so finally got this 'shim kit' done.

Over the last few months, I mailed Nissan dealers, most hadn't a breeze what I was on about.
    Prices with Nissan ranged from 235 - 500 euro. What a cod really to have such a difference.
    Asked a few other tyre places etc and they just said bring it to the main dealer, not a job we do.

I got the job done today with my trusty local mechanic.
    He has his own old school way of measuring the alignment (he mentioned some dunlop device) and he said it was out by 50 'minutes' before he started the work (not sure what this means)
    He fitted the shim kit and tested again on his own old school device and its bang on Zero now.
    based on this, he says no need for tracking, unless I really want to

Total cost 137 Euro, delighted with this cost.

Was this in Dublin? If so could you PM me with details of your mechanic? I’m getting the runaround from Nissan dealers too!

quenching wrote: »
    Was this in Dublin? If so could you PM me with details of your mechanic? I’m getting the runaround from Nissan dealers too!

Hi. No sorry, in the west of Ireland.

Nissan dealers don’t seem to have a clue, a couple swore I needed to replace the complete Rear axle and and that the shim kit was not a proper fix.

Nissan dealers don’t seem to have a clue, a couple swore I needed to replace the complete Rear axle and and that the shim kit was not a proper fix.

Not to worry, thanks for getting back to me. Did you buy the shim kit yourself or did your mechanic source it? If you have a part number handy I'd appreciate it, I can then point it out to the Nissan service dept, who, as you say, don't have a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I'm in Mayo and was gonna get the nissan garage to do the shim kit while in for recall, but not getting any info back from them. Wud ur mechanic be anywhere near me to get installed?

quenching wrote: »
    Not to worry, thanks for getting back to me. Did you buy the shim kit yourself or did your mechanic source it? If you have a part number handy I'd appreciate it, I can then point it out to the Nissan service dept, who, as you say, don't have a clue!

no probs.

my mechanic got it, as far as im aware, its the official Nissan kit, was 24 euro.

just a few thin plates of steel

sorry, I don't have a part number.

• Advertisement

no probs.

my mechanic got it, as far as im aware, its the official Nissan kit, was 24 euro.

just a few thin plates of steel

sorry, I don't have a part number.

€24 :eek:

I’ve asked the local Nissan dealer again, let’s see what price they come up with.

Advertisement