Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video of me uploaded to youtube without my consent

Options
  • 25-03-2019 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I work for a social media company in their office in Ireland and this morning I was shown a video that was uploaded to youtube (uploaded on the 12th of March) which I appear in for the majority of the video.
    My face is not blurred out nor was I asked permission to be filmed let alone be asked permission to upload it to youtube.
    This was also filmed on private property.
    What can I do in this situation ?
    Ive reported the video to youtube but nothing has happened yet as Ive only seen it as of this morning.
    I feel as if it is against GDPR and feel completely violated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It’s poor practice to use someone’s image in PR material without asking them to sign a release form and give their permission.

It’s possible that your contract gives your employer the right to use your image in publicity media. But you can revoke that permission if you so wish.

Have you contacted your HR representative yet, or someone from the marketing team?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Maybe you have already done this, but here's youtube's form for requesting a video to be removed on privacy grounds.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/142443

You'll have to give some personal details on the form, if you decide to fill it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It could be relatively complicated. There may be terms in your contract that allow the company to do things like this. Such terms are legally limited (e.g. they couldn't film you in a toilet), but nevertheless do complicate things.

My advice would be first and foremost, to drop any antagonistic element to your complaint. Assume that everyone was acting in good faith and without malice. You feel angry and violated, and that's understandable. But you need to gather yourself and take time to breathe and understand the perspective of everyone else.

That is, the person who put it up, did not disregard your feelings on the matter. They don't know you object to this. They did not upload this video with any malice intended, and were likely just doing what they were asked to do by a boss or team lead - who was also not acting with any malice. Nobody intended to hurt you or violate you, and wouldn't have done this if they knew it would.

This leads you to approach this from a "How dare you put this up! Who said you could?!" complaint, to the softer, "Hi, can I speak to you about this video? I'm not comfortable with being included in this.", which provides scope for you to direct the conversation towards removing the video, without completely torpedoing your job prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Generally first port of call is to ask for it to be removed nicely

However, You work for a social media company so I suspect that, at some point in time, you signed something that allows them to do this.

It also depends on who uploaded the video, is it considered advertisement or promotion etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

'Feel completely violated' Jesus..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have to say, going on your previous posts. You wont be long out of that job.

It appears you have had nothing but grievances with the job despite only being a month in. Id start thinking a bit more about what you want from the job and do you value it. Because you have been nothing but unhappy since started and appear to come across as antagonistic .

im not sure you mean to be, But if its coming across on the internet. imagine how your colleagues / Manager feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Read your employment contract first, you quite possibly consented to having your image used.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 YourWann

Should of said this was nothing to do with the company.
    It was a walk in user who had an account with the Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

YourWann wrote: »
    Should of said this was nothing to do with the company.
    It was a walk in user who had an account with the Company.

Then youtube are required to take it down once you jump through their hoops of forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Whats your companies policy wrt walk in users with an account?

If your an EE of company , this should be in your contrat of employment or Staff handbook , did you sign a waiver that you did not wish to be recorded or image taken ? We have it where I work and I did not agree or sign off authority for my image to be used.

• Advertisement

kravmaga wrote: »
    Whats your companies policy wrt walk in users with an account?

If your an EE of company , this should be in your contrat of employment or Staff handbook , did you sign a waiver that you did not wish to be recorded or image taken ? We have it where I work and I did not agree or sign off authority for my image to be used.

Contracted in my another company and I didn't sign anything to do with recording

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

Was this filmed without your knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Was the video taken in a private capacity by this 3rd party or was it taken by them on their company business?

My guess is the video in question was taken by someone in a personal capacity and uploaded to that persons personal account and therefore the OP cant do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

My guess is the video in question was taken by someone in a personal capacity and uploaded to that persons personal account and therefore the OP cant do anything about it.

Yes they can. They were on private property where the would have been a reasonable expectation of privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Alright.

So reading between the lines here, the OP works at the security desk in a company, contracted in by a 3rd party. A member of the public walked into the office, shot a video and then uploaded this to youtube. Presumably they had some grievance or similar issue with the company.

This is still a relatively complicated matter. If it's the public reception area of the company (that is, there is no access control and it's implicit that the general public may enter this part of the building), then the reasonable expectation of privacy for employees working in that part of the building, isn't the same as an employee who may work in actual private parts of the building.

That is, any member of the public may enter the reception and observe the OP working. So they don't have an expectation of privacy. Or least not the same expectation as, say, someone working in HR.

However, one may be able to argue that the image of the OP, carrying on their work in their workplace, constitutes personal and identifying data and thus may require that the video is removed.

I would bring the matter to the attention of the OP's actual employer, and the security team at the location where they are working. Both of whom might consider this inappropriate and be able to bring greater pressure to bear.

brian_t wrote: »
    Was this filmed without your knowledge.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Where is this job, and can I have it instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I’m reading between the lines here .. but my spidey sense tells me that the OP has been filmed while working by one of the multitude of protest groups doing the rounds. I probably have my suspicions as to which group and if I were the OP I’d be very annoyed at being filmed by these crackpots.

The reality is they have no sense of reality and just by being an employee of a global company to which they have a grievance against the OP could be targeted.

I think the ring leader of this incoherent mob is also trying to track down and in prison unicorns while stockpiling tin foil

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As has been stated get onto YouTube and also put in a complaint to the company you are working for and the business it happened in.

Take all details of persons account that uploaded it and go from there.

Get it removed.

I've had similar and I got it removed from many many sites.

It takes a bit of time getting through to them all but at least you only have one to contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

dubrov wrote: »
    Yes they can. They were on private property where the would have been a reasonable expectation of privacy.
    Not necessarily. Whose private property was this, and what kind of property was it?

OP is drip-eeding out details of what happened here, and people are making assumptions to fill the huge gaps in OP's story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Was the video taken in a private capacity by this 3rd party or was it taken by them on their company business?

The OP can tell YouTube to remove their personal data. They can't do anything about the recording put they can most definitely do something about the distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

To be fair, there'd be banter and stuff going on here in work that I wouldn't like uploaded without my consent.

We don't know the nature of what was uploaded so it's unfair to dismiss how the OP felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

YourWann wrote: »
    Yes

God almighty - can you just give some better information rather have us all play guessing games!!!

This started off with people thinking that you worked in social media and now its thinking that protesters filmed you in a security role!

Can you clarify what your capacity is and what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

....... wrote: »
    God almighty - can you just give some better information rather have us all play guessing games!!!

This started off with people thinking that you worked in social media and now its thinking that protesters filmed you in a security role!

Can you clarify what your capacity is and what happened?

Going by her previous posts OP works front-of-house in a social media company and is contracted from a security company. Google, Facebook and LinkedIn all have this arrangement in place, it's essentially a reception function but outsourced to a licensed security company.

Reading between the lines of her (extremely cagey) posts in this thread, I don't think the filming was done as part of a protest, I'm guessing a client of the company the OP is placed in came in and did a bit of filming, possibly for their own social media/website and for reasons that remain unclear, she has a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

If you really work in a social media company, I would be very surprised if they do not have things like this covered in their contracts and/or HR policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Going by her previous posts

From what I can see the OP only has 4 posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Being ''Outraged'' seems to be the norm on social media now ? wtf !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

OP you appear in a large proportion of the video, did you not question some person pointing a video camera at you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

There are some people that plaster every element of their lives all over social media, and there are those of us that are very uncomfortable with that kind of stuff!

• Advertisement
Advertisement