Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the story with the roads in Waterford City?

Options
  • 23-03-2019 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know what the story with the state of a lot of roads around the city is? There are places it is just shocking. Not going to start giving examples, everybody will have their own examples. I do a lot of cycling and there are places it is actually starting to get dangerous to cycle. Thought the plan is to make the city safer for cyclist and to encourage it.

Hate having to criticise Waterford City and County Council as they are doing fantastic work progressing the redevelopment of the north quays at the moment. And some roads have been done lately. But come on it makes the place look uncared for not to mention the safety concerns. Every year there is €x00,000 given to the city for the up keep of the roads, where is it going? Not on the roads anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Depends on where you are from in Waterford, really. Its possible you could happily go about your life, travel to and from work or college or town and not encounter any particularly bad roads. Other people could destroy their cars on broken speed bumps or potholes within 2 minutes of their trip to work!

Id like to think there is a special place in hell for the person who wont fix that first speed bump as you are going up Castle Street from the Manor- FFS you absolutely cant avoid it if there is traffic coming down that road and I have fcuked up my tires on more than 1 occasion going up there. :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep they are in terrible state (did a thread about this last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Best thing to do is take a picture, put it on twitter, tag whatever your local councillor is, or those looking to run in the upcoming elections. You'd normally get a response in no time. Posting it on boards, although good to talk about it, won't help it being fixed.

I've been promising myself that I'd do something like that. John's Street is appalling now, quite dangerous as cars naturally try to dodge the big hollows in the middle of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

The road condition on the Manor, heading into the City, opposite Edmund Rice centre is terrible. Road is partially sunken. I reported it on the CC website. Got the "it will be done in due course" reply. Also, on Bunkers Hill, by the Hennessys Road junction, they spent weeks working there, diversions etc, yet they couldn't fill in the moon like surface of a road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

RubyK wrote: »
    The road condition on the Manor, heading into the City, opposite Edmund Rice centre is terrible. Road is partially sunken. I reported it on the CC website. Got the "it will be done in due course" reply. Also, on Bunkers Hill, by the Hennessys Road junction, they spent weeks working there, diversions etc, yet they couldn't fill in the moon like surface of a road.

They are working on Bunkers hill at the moment,its going to be one way up the hill and from barracks st down towards the post office and then one way down convent hill.

Slightly OT - how long has that leak of water been running down Bunkers Hill from that empty site at the top on the left? It seems to have been trickling away for a year at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Have you written to the council? Waterford council have area on their site where you can make complaints, ask questions or point out issues like dumping, dangerous pot holes etc.

I wrote to them about bad potholes near Jack Meades and it was repaired in about 2 weeks. Only the worst pothole was filled but as least it was something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Have you written to the council? Waterford council have area on their site where you can make complaints, ask questions or point out issues like dumping, dangerous pot holes etc.

I wrote to them about bad potholes near Jack Meades and it was repaired in about 2 weeks. Only the worst pothole was filled but as least it was something.

Yes, I've sent a couple of messages via their website, and got the automatic reply ".... and will be dealt with as soon possible"

Hopefully sooner rather than later, that sunken road is pretty bad on the Manor, especially if you are turning right at the lights to go up Johnstown, as you can't avoid it if there is traffic to your left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

RubyK wrote: »
    Yes, I've sent a couple of messages via their website, and got the automatic reply ".... and will be dealt with as soon possible"

Hopefully sooner rather than later, that sunken road is pretty bad on the Manor, especially if you are turning right at the lights to go up Johnstown, as you can't avoid it if there is traffic to your left.

There plans to resurface the road from the lights to the bridge at some stage this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

The Dunmore Road is getting bad in places, Passage Road is awful so is William St, the Mayors Walk is like the moon and so on. The best thing to do like I have is I haven’t paid motor tax in protest and they can fine me all they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

200motels wrote:
    The Dunmore Road is getting bad in places, Passage Road is awful so is William St, the Mayors Walk is like the moon and so on. The best thing to do like I have is I haven’t paid motor tax in protest and they can fine me all they like.

Unfortunately it would probably take a vast amount of people to do so, in order to have an effect, it may just mean you get penalised

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

200motels wrote: »

Congratulations, stupid comment of the week and it's only Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Road Tax does not get ringfenced for roads. It is tax which goes into the Exchequer. If you don't pay it you'll have your car seized by the Gardai, who won't release it until you pay what you owe.

The roads on Lombard Street and up towards park road are like the surface of the moon, and it's a shame how many visitors see this very run down street as one of the first and last things they see as they enter and exit Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Max Powers wrote: »
    Congratulations, stupid comment of the week and it's only Monday.

@ing smart arse comment, c!!ts, c!!!s everywhere.

Slightly OT - how long has that leak of water been running down Bunkers Hill from that empty site at the top on the left? It seems to have been trickling away for a year at least

30 years more like :eek:

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/01/07/bunkers-hill-leak-to-be-addressed/?fbclid=IwAR0NVwizj2e_5jpSbH-yBr60idtnby0QXNAJscM1NscikVpKEXBCQbnBHb0

That's mad. I did wonder if it was a spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Apparently the leak going down Bunkers hill has been happening for 30 years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

I actually think it’s longer than that. I can remember walking home from school and seeing it, and that was definitely more than 30 years ago. It’s actually hard to believe that nothing has been done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

Just drove through Waterford today,every manhole cover is after sinking and every channel dug up for piping has sunk as well.its desperate

• Advertisement

The Quay is just incredible in this regard, two inch drop with every one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

iseegirls wrote: »
    Best thing to do is take a picture, put it on twitter, tag whatever your local councillor is, or those looking to run in the upcoming elections. You'd normally get a response in no time. Posting it on boards, although good to talk about it, won't help it being fixed.
    www.fixmystreet.ie might work if you report them there although I have had no success through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Dexpat

DLS_75 wrote: »
    I actually think it’s longer than that. I can remember walking home from school and seeing it, and that was definitely more than 30 years ago. It’s actually hard to believe that nothing has been done about it.

Yeah way more than 30 years. I assumed it was a natural spring or something 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

The road outside Nicky's Bar on the way to Mayor's Walk was always bad, but it is HORRENDOUS of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Got proof today that fixmystreet is only effective if the street is actually completely f'd.

Attached are pictures of a cement mixer which fell into our road last May. Here is the road, after getting driven into again yesterday by an oil truck. Residents blocked in and out! It didn't have to be like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

The road outside Nicky's Bar on the way to Mayor's Walk was always bad, but it is HORRENDOUS of late.

I was at a funeral on Tuesday night that walked along the mayors walk,
    Lethal is how I would describe it

aziz wrote: »
    I was at a funeral on Tuesday night that walked along the mayors walk,
    Lethal is how I would describe it

Never thought id see the day!,but roadworks starting on Mayor Walk this evening.

https://www.mapalerter.com/updates/roads/15843-roadworks-on-mayors-walk-monday-20th-jan-1800-hrs

Great news just a pity WC has neglected to give a time frame or mention the alternative routes etc if applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Great news just a pity WC has neglected to give a time frame or mention the alternative routes etc if applicable.

That would be too handy, driving around town is like a mystery tour some days,
    You never know where you might end up.
    How long has castle street being closed and still no diversion signs on the manor or convent hill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Looks like castle street link is nearing completion longest bit of a road construction in history

Advertisement