Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acts that never played Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The original Gn'R

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

The rock band Evanescence, I don't think it is a big deal anyway, it's easy enough to go over to a northern English city for concerts anyway, it makes an excuse for a weekend trip. I've never actually been to a concert on this island, my first will be in Dublin in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Travelling Wilburys
    Carly Simon
    Harry Nilsson?

Strange one this but has Enya ever played a gig in Ireland? I'm not talking about a one off song but an actual full show.

She has never played a full gig anywhere.
    I remember her saying that she just can't recreate her sound outside the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭corm500

I don't think John Lennon or George Harrison ever did a solo gig here (I know they did with the Beatles)
    Ringo and Paul have several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Played the square in Belfast on the comeback shows, absolutely top drawer.

Played Dublin early nineties too, SFX again I believe.

Belfast gig was a cracker - they also played Oxegen on their farewell tour

• Advertisement

not quite a 'never' but I don't thin Marilyn Manson has ever headlined a gig here. He supported Maiden in the RDS and did that MTV awards here but I'm amazed there was never a headline gig. Which is annoying because I was in a jock when I saw him at the RDS and all I have is photos to make up for the zero memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    not quite a 'never' but I don't thin Marilyn Manson has ever headlined a gig here. He supported Maiden in the RDS and did that MTV awards here but I'm amazed there was never a headline gig. Which is annoying because I was in a jock when I saw him at the RDS and all I have is photos to make up for the zero memories.

He was supposed to play about 10 years ago but it got cancelled after the production company that was filming it pulled out.

Bit of a dick move I thought. Could've still turned up and played the gig.

Also he was far better than Maiden that day in the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

@ The Nal.

I had a ticket for the cancelled show. It went back considerably further than 10 years. I think it was 2001.

poundhound wrote: »
    @ The Nal.

I had a ticket for the cancelled show. It went back considerably further than 10 years. I think it was 2001.

Ah didn't know it was that far back. What a setlist from 2005 though.

The Nal wrote: »
    He was supposed to play about 10 years ago but it got cancelled after the production company that was filming it pulled out.

Bit of a dick move I thought. Could've still turned up and played the gig.

Also he was far better than Maiden that day in the RDS.

I should have saved the boozing till Maiden! I do recall he was on stilts at one stage singing at a giant lectern.

A mate saw him two years or so ago in Oz playing a pretty small venue so it's not about playing a massive show these days. I don't get the reluctance to play here. He could easily do a date or two if he's in the UK. I would expect he'd get a decent turnout. Granted he's turned into something of a disaster on stage.

Manson circa Antichrist superstar or Mechanical Animals would have been class to see.

• Advertisement

I should have saved the boozing till Maiden! I do recall he was on stilts at one stage singing at a giant lectern.

A mate saw him two years or so ago in Oz playing a pretty small venue so it's not about playing a massive show these days. I don't get the reluctance to play here. He could easily do a date or two if he's in the UK. I would expect he'd get a decent turnout. Granted he's turned into something of a disaster on stage.

Manson circa Antichrist superstar or Mechanical Animals would have been class to see.

I doubt that he is reluctant to play here. Acts don't really control where they play for the most part. Its up to the promoters to get them here.

The Nal wrote: »
    I doubt that he is reluctant to play here. Acts don't really control where they play for the most part. Its up to the promoters to get them here.

oh yeah of course, sure he apparently married here, I'm just taking it personal now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

corm500 wrote: »
    I don't think John Lennon or George Harrison ever did a solo gig here (I know they did with the Beatles)
    Ringo and Paul have several times.

Lennon really only ever did two full-length shows: the One to One benefit concerts in New York in 1972. And because it was billed as a John Lennon and Yoko Ono show, some of the set was Yoko material. Live Peace in Toronto 1969 was only eight (under-rehearsed) songs, and he did three songs as a special guest with Elton John in Madison Square Garden in 1974. I think that's it.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Travelling Wilburys

I don't think the Traveling Wilburys ever toured.

Roy Orbison passed away a short time after Vol 1 was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Rammstein? Can't remember if they ever played Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

E mac wrote: »
    Rammstein? Can't remember if they ever played Ireland.

Rammstein blew the roof off the 3arena in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Aaah. I stand corrected. How about cradle of filth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

ABBA
    Van Halen
    Elvis
    Aretha
    Doors
    Jimi
    Buddy Holly
    Miles Davis
    Joni Mitchell
    Janis Joplin
    Grateful Dead
    Jefferson Airplane
    Small Faces
    Bob Seeger
    Marvin Gaye

Lots of the sixties acts from the USA made it to Europe but managed to give the Emerald Isle a miss unfortunately

Manzarek and Krieger played here in 2010

Manzarek and Krieger played here in 2010

Yep i was at it. One of the loudest gigs Ive ever been at. Not bad for a couple of old guys. Not the Doors though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What a show that was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

oh yeah of course, sure he apparently married here, I'm just taking it personal now :p

May not have wanted to come back since, what with the trouble with the pub, that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

E mac wrote: »
    Aaah. I stand corrected. How about cradle of filth?

They have as well either last year or the year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As far as I can remember they played Tattoo The Planet in the Point back in 2001? Slayer headlined; Pantera flew home because the WTC was destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Arghus wrote: »
    As far as I can remember they played Tattoo The Planet in the Point back in 2001? Slayer headlined; Pantera flew home because the WTC was destroyed.
    More recently, they played here in 2016 and 2017 - The Academy both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aslanroars

Nirvana were to play Ireland the day Kurts body was found as far as I remember. And on another death link big country were to play day Dublin the day Stuart Adamson s body was found.plus poison played dublin two or three times .once the point and other in the Tivoli theatre Meath street .

saw them in the TBMC in 2001...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yep i was at it. One of the loudest gigs Ive ever been at. Not bad for a couple of old guys. Not the Doors though.
    Dick Dale (who died the other day) in Whelan's was by far the loudest gig I was ever at. I noticed that the band and crew were all wearing heavy-duty ear plugs. My ears were producing white noise for the next three days after it.

Nice bit of trivia - head roadie was Phil Kaufman, famous for stealing the body of Gram Parsons and burning it in Joshua Tree National Park.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Kaufman_%28producer%29

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

David Byrne has played here on a number of occasions, but Talking Heads never made it to Ireland unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

alphaville never played in ireland, we all love big in japan and forever young? agreed? now they are playing dublin and belfast this year. wow. all thanks to digital music forcing poor musicians to earn a living, rather than enjoy early retirement on the fat royalties! but poor brian wilson in fairness, they will be wheeling him onto the stage soon. now thats elder abuse right there lads.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    David Byrne has played here on a number of occasions, but Talking Heads never made it to Ireland unfortunately.

I remember they were touted to play Slane around 85 or 86 but it never materialized.

Advertisement