Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Edinburgh v Leinster

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,852 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I think he's held to a different standard, sure, but there's a reason for that. He's a foreign signing and a capped international. That means he commands a higher paycheck and has to be viewed from that context.

Compare his first season so far to Ben Te'o's. Both of them picked up long injuries early on, but whenever Te'o played it was clear the quality of player we had on our hands.

Maybe next season will be different. I won't say he's not good enough, but so far he hasn't been good enough given his pedigree.

Has tomane had a run of games with anything close to a full strength side.

T'eo and Tomane cannot be compared. Different coaches etc. Tomane is being scapegoated very unfairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,141 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Te'o took a lot of crap in his first season I recall too. In his second year, himself and Reid really clicked.

Tomane didn't have a great night overall but, unlike others, did some good stuff as well as his errors. He led the defensive line in the backs. He made 14 tackles which is twice as many as any other back. He carrier well early on when we had ball.

But as mentioned above he is a capped international on a decent salary so expectations are high and patience is extremely thin. Kirchner endured the same thing. Sykes, Douglas, Finnegan etc. If you come with a reputation you better deliver quickly.

Tomane was far from the worst on display tonight behind a beaten pack and had to change position early on. With that said, he needs to improve. This was his first appearance in 4 months though. He needs to get his confidence back. I suspect he'll be in our 23 next weekend but I'm not sure that is the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

I think he's held to a different standard, sure, but there's a reason for that. He's a foreign signing and a capped international. That means he commands a higher paycheck and has to be viewed from that context.

Compare his first season so far to Ben Te'o's. Both of them picked up long injuries early on, but whenever Te'o played it was clear the quality of player we had on our hands.

Maybe next season will be different. I won't say he's not good enough, but so far he hasn't been good enough given his pedigree.

He's been a bit luckless so far this season but he deserves to be judged more harshly. He's probably getting paid an order of magnitude more than Conor O'Brien, he has to be much better to justify that. Right now I don't think he's as good but it's early days back. He needs to have a decent game soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Clegg wrote: »
    When Tomane's far from the biggest problem, but gets the lion's share of the blame, I think it's fair to say he's being unduly criticised.

Tomane wasn't the worst Leinster player on the field. Byrne was given a lesson, Cronin had a poor game, McFadden was very quiet and Bent too. He is however taking up an niq spot and compared to Lowe and fardy he has obviously been disappointing but what bothers me is he has the ability, I was delighted to see him arrive as cover but he hasn't performed anywhere close to his ability. I know he has been injured a lot but he looks like he is completely lacking in self confidence and really hasn't been a good addition so far. As I said earlier, he looked like he didn't want to be involved in the tight. It could be a nervousness having been injured a lot but I think we really should expect better than he's delivered so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Meh, it's very hard to care too much and it looked like the players felt the same.

There were two key moments for me;
    1) The injury to Reid - he's been a key member of the second-string this season and really seems to gel the team together.
    2) Luke McGrath making an incredible f**k-up of the stolen lineout. Instead of the ball being pumped up field and maybe we get in ahead, we face a 5m scrum, Ed Byrne gets minced twice, penalty try and Edinburgh smell blood.

Reckon we were just outplayed and overpowered but things might have gone differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Buer wrote: »
    Te'o took a lot of crap in his first season I recall too. In his second year, himself and Reid really clicked.

I might be remembering wrong but I thought Te'o hit the ground running when he returned from injury in his first season. My recollection was it was his second season when he was moved to 12 to accommodate Ringrose when he became much less effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Is it possible that Cronin's confidence is shot after the Italy game and his subsequent dropping?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Disappointing display. Little at stake I guess. Ref was his usual self.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

c.p.w.g.w wrote:
    Is it possible that Cronin's confidence is shot after the Italy game and his subsequent dropping?

Possibly but he was poor against Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

I think he got injured early on last night.

He was down getting treatment at one point, then got absolutely bounced by Mata later on in the first half and looked to be all over the place after it. It was no surprise that he didn't come back out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,736 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think he got injured early on last night.

He was down getting treatment at one point, then got absolutely bounced by Mata later on in the first half and looked to be all over the place after it. It was no surprise that he didn't come back out.

Looked to be a hamstring issue he was getting treatment for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think the criticism of Tomane is more than fair, it reminds me of Saili at Munster, who was playing better but still nowhere near the expected level

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The thing with Tomane his mistakes were very obvious, not that he was any worse than anyone else but the stuff like dropped balls and missed tackles and being the person on your ass as a try is being scored is easy to point out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

any clips of the Reid incident?

Advertisement