Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Zebre, Sat 23rd March 7:45pm; Live on ES1

• 22-03-2019 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Alex Wootton; JJ Hanrahan, Alby Mathewson;
    Jeremy Loughman, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Fineen Wycherley, Darren O’Shea; Jack O’Donoghue, Chris Cloete, CJ Stander (C).

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Liam O’Connor, John Ryan, Jean Kleyn, Arno Botha, Duncan Williams, Tyler Bleyendaal, Chris Farrell.

Zebre:
    15 Edoardo Padovani*
    14 Gabriele Di Giulio*
    13 Giulio Bisegni
    12 Tommaso Boni*
    11 James Elliott
    10 Carlo Canna
    9 Guglielmo Palazzani
    8 Renato Giammarioli*
    7 Jimmy Tuivaiti
    6 Maxime Mbandà*
    5 George Biagi (cap)
    4 David Sisi
    3 Roberto Tenga
    2 Oliviero Fabiani
    1 Andrea Lovotti*

16 Luhandre Luus*
    17 Daniele Rimpelli*
    18 Marco Ciccioli
    19 Leonard Krumov*
    20 Apisai Tauyavuca
    21 Marcello Violi*
    22 Francois Brummer
    23 Mattia Bellini

As Munster chase Glasgow for the top spot in Conference A, a TBP win will be needed against the struggling Zebre who are winless in the Pro14 since October.

It's an intriguing lineup as Billy Holland is left out of the 23 alongside the absence of Tadhg Beirne. Wycherley and DOS get the start in the row. Duncan Williams is on the bench ahead of Neil Cronin, making his first appearance since the end of November. With POM rested and Wycherley at lock, JOD makes a start at blindside.

Referee: Dan Jones (WRU)
    Assistant Referee: Adam Jones (WRU) & Mark Patton (IRFU)
    TMO: Colin Stanley (IRFU)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

CJ starting is surprising. Not much wing cover there either, with Farrell on the bench.

aloooof wrote: »
    CJ starting is surprising. Not much wing cover there either, with Farrell on the bench.

CJ hasn't played a lot since his injury against England.

CJ hasn't played a lot since his injury against England.

Did he not play against Wales?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Wales and France. But he had 4 weeks off between England and France.

• Advertisement

Sure and against France too. I'm sure they wouldn't play him if he needed a rest.

Wales and France. But he had 4 weeks off between England and France.
    Sure and against France too. I'm sure they wouldn't play him if he needed a rest.

Ah ya, absolutely. Good to see JOD getting a start; if he goes well, I wonder is he in with a shout of getting a bench spot next week ahead of Botha, say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

JJ to 15 and Haley to wing. Been a pretty regular use of the bench this seen

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    JJ to 15 and Haley to wing. Been a pretty regular use of the bench this seen

Aye, I recall Scannell and Goggin in the 23 jersey on occasion as well where this happened, so this is the most likely alternative. Even think Goggin might've ended up on the wing at one stage?

• Advertisement

Aye, I recall Scannell and Goggin in the 23 jersey on occasion as well where this happened, so this is the most likely alternative. Even think Goggin might've ended up on the wing at one stage?

Yeah Goggin has moved out to the wing a few times this season and last.

And strangely, I cant remember which match, but Chris Farrell has moved out to the wing in a game where he Arnold and Scannell were all on the pitch, remember thinking at the time it was odd to put Farrell on the Wing and not Arnold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Yeah Goggin has moved out to the wing a few times this season and last.

And strangely, I cant remember which match, but Chris Farrell has moved out to the wing in a game where he Arnold and Scannell were all on the pitch, remember thinking at the time it was odd to put Farrell on the Wing and not Arnold.

He did it while at Grenoble, actually started 1 game on the wing,

He did it while at Grenoble, actually started 1 game on the wing,

Ah I see.
    This I did not know. I don't follow Top 14.
    Cheers for the info.

Mild weather conditions. BP is a must tonight. Fingers crossed Cheetahs can do something in Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I prefer Wycherley as a second row, he gets around like a back row anyway.

Great start by Zebre

Zebre have started well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Entertaining start. Zebre showing a little endeavour with some good tip on passes.

Munster looked physical and up for it but a few system errors in defence leaving big gaps which allowed Zebre eat up handy yards before being taken down. Munster need to get their spacing right in defence.

JJH needs to forget about kicking away good ball for a while. Has kicked it straight into opposition twice.

Munster back row look well up for it anyway. All of them showing good energy and physicality.

Munster will surely win comfortably but they look decidedly uncertain in the backline defence.

Whew, that was close to a second Zebre try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭budhabob

Folks, been dragged to a musical so I'd appreciate your sympathy And regular detailed updates.

Jesus Christ.

Better this week than next. Canna is playing excellently and his passing on the gain line is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Great hands from Haley

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

0-12 to Zebre.

I still expect Munster to win this well, but this game reminds me of those early season performances when they basically took 50 minutes to wake up and by then the game was already lost. Zebre aren't a great side so they won't keep it up however.

Munster are far too passive. They’re still in the dressing room it seems.
    Canna has the backline on a string with runners offering lovely lines.

Whew, that was close to a second Zebre try.
    Perish the thought...

Buer wrote: »
    Perish the thought...

Who asked you Buer?

Archer playing with fire there bumping Canna in offside position while getting back onto his side. Referee looking other way.

Buer wrote: »
    Perish the thought...

Who asked you Buer?

The people demand the truth.

• Advertisement

I can’t tell if that’s a bunch of girls screaming or if Toland is taking his fangirling to a new level.

Advertisement