Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody care???

Options
  • 18-03-2019 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I moved into an apartment with a 'friend' a few years ago. She already had the apartment and invited me to share. Every month I gave her my share of the expenses. She dealt with the landlord as they were both Romanian.
    Last year she suddenly decided to move in with her new boyfriend. No notice, just walked in and started packing. I then discovered that there was no tenancy agreement.
    My health has been very bad for the past year and I had an emergency spine operation at the beginning of November 2018. I sold everything I had to cover the rent and let out her room on short term to pay the rent just to keep a roof over my head as even rooms to let are difficult to come by, especially if you are not fully mobile.
    It came to my notice that the landlord was in fact subletting the apartment. Then I discovered that him and his mother were collecting benefits from the address. He came to me after I paid the rent on 2 February and asked to stay a few days, maybe a week as he was waiting to move into a new place and his wife is 7 months pregnant. I told him that I was expecting someone to rent the room in a week and he said he would probably be gone by then and he would take €500 off the next months rent. Stupid me.
    They moved in. Made my life a living hell, with people coming and going at all hours, 2 or 3 people sleeping in the front room every night. If I bought food they would eat it. Used all the hot water, giving me intimidating looks, etc.
    I had already applied for social housing in January. When I was discharged from the Cappagh the social worker told me that I should report to housing if I ever had a problem. I went to the Fingal housing department and discovered that they had lost my tax form. They would not listen to me and sent me away to get another form. In the interim, I discovered that the apartment is on a HAP scheme ad kept the letter as proof. Everyone I have approached has been unwilling or unable to do anything about this. The landlord told me that I would have to pay €1000 for rent and him and his family would be staying....
    On 28 Feb he told me to be sure I had the rent on the 2nd March, I was terrified. I told him I had asked my son to send money from Australia to help me. I went to the social welfare offices on Monday 4 March to ask for emergency assistance and explained the situation. The social worker was sympathetic and told me to go back to housing and report it, register as homeless and she would arrange for an inspection.
    So back to Housing I went. I was told that they deal with social housing not HAP fraud or homeless and if I was scared I should call the Guards.(Threshold advised me not to report them as I would be putting myself in danger when I went to them for advice two weeks before.) I spent the whole month looking for a room. I found a room in a house of horrors on the night of Monday 4 March. When I tried to leave on 6 March I was forced to go to the bank. I withdrew €200, I was physically threatened if I didn't go I would be very sorry. My spine is still healing and one twist could cripple me for life so I was terrified.
    Upon returning to the apartment I was made to sit at the table and log into my bank account because he didn't believe I only had 200... Obviously I keyed in the wrong pin until my account was locked.
    When the person who kindly offered to help me move my stuff arrived he was threatened at the door. My wrist was twisted as my keys were forcibly taken and I was pushed out the door and told not to come back without €1000.
    The guards were called and arrived two hours later... By which time they had gone through the bags I managed to pack, all thrown into a double sheet and dragged out. They kept most of my belongings, saying it was his apartment and all the stuff in it belonged to him.
    Why are people like this untouchable? I am 61 years old, do everything by the book yet nobody cares that these Roma gypsy criminals are living off the state, frauding and committing all kinds of crime and I can't seem to report it to anyone who actually wants to do something about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭bilbot79

trishabon wrote: »
    I moved into an apartment with a 'friend' a few years ago. She already had the apartment and invited me to share. Every month I gave her my share of the expenses. She dealt with the landlord as they were both Romanian.
    Last year she suddenly decided to move in with her new boyfriend. No notice, just walked in and started packing. I then discovered that there was no tenancy agreement.
    My health has been very bad for the past year and I had an emergency spine operation at the beginning of November 2018. I sold everything I had to cover the rent and let out her room on short term to pay the rent just to keep a roof over my head as even rooms to let are difficult to come by, especially if you are not fully mobile.
    It came to my notice that the landlord was in fact subletting the apartment. Then I discovered that him and his mother were collecting benefits from the address. He came to me after I paid the rent on 2 February and asked to stay a few days, maybe a week as he was waiting to move into a new place and his wife is 7 months pregnant. I told him that I was expecting someone to rent the room in a week and he said he would probably be gone by then and he would take €500 off the next months rent. Stupid me.
    They moved in. Made my life a living hell, with people coming and going at all hours, 2 or 3 people sleeping in the front room every night. If I bought food they would eat it. Used all the hot water, giving me intimidating looks, etc.
    I had already applied for social housing in January. When I was discharged from the Cappagh the social worker told me that I should report to housing if I ever had a problem. I went to the Fingal housing department and discovered that they had lost my tax form. They would not listen to me and sent me away to get another form. In the interim, I discovered that the apartment is on a HAP scheme ad kept the letter as proof. Everyone I have approached has been unwilling or unable to do anything about this. The landlord told me that I would have to pay €1000 for rent and him and his family would be staying....
    On 28 Feb he told me to be sure I had the rent on the 2nd March, I was terrified. I told him I had asked my son to send money from Australia to help me. I went to the social welfare offices on Monday 4 March to ask for emergency assistance and explained the situation. The social worker was sympathetic and told me to go back to housing and report it, register as homeless and she would arrange for an inspection.
    So back to Housing I went. I was told that they deal with social housing not HAP fraud or homeless and if I was scared I should call the Guards.(Threshold advised me not to report them as I would be putting myself in danger when I went to them for advice two weeks before.) I spent the whole month looking for a room. I found a room in a house of horrors on the night of Monday 4 March. When I tried to leave on 6 March I was forced to go to the bank. I withdrew €200, I was physically threatened if I didn't go I would be very sorry. My spine is still healing and one twist could cripple me for life so I was terrified.
    Upon returning to the apartment I was made to sit at the table and log into my bank account because he didn't believe I only had 200... Obviously I keyed in the wrong pin until my account was locked.
    When the person who kindly offered to help me move my stuff arrived he was threatened at the door. My wrist was twisted as my keys were forcibly taken and I was pushed out the door and told not to come back without €1000.
    The guards were called and arrived two hours later... By which time they had gone through the bags I managed to pack, all thrown into a double sheet and dragged out. They kept most of my belongings, saying it was his apartment and all the stuff in it belonged to him.
    Why are people like this untouchable? I am 61 years old, do everything by the book yet nobody cares that these Roma gypsy criminals are living off the state, frauding and committing all kinds of crime and I can't seem to report it to anyone who actually wants to do something about it?

Jesus that sounds like a nightmare. I have no answers im afraid and I hope someone comes along here with some good advice.

Hate the idea that people are coming in, sponging off the state and bullying good citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trishabon

All I really want is someone to sit up and take notice of how the system is being abused but sadly all I get is apathy. I'm quite sure that many people are doing this but nobody cares. Social housing said I should contact the real landlord. When I asked how I would find him I was told to ask the rogue landlord!! As if. Why would he even care as long as he was being paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

trishabon wrote: »

If true then start here: https://m.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx Be sure to give them as much info as you can get about your Roma/Romanian friends.

While you're at it, why not contact Pavee Point? Being taxpayer-funded they absolutely hate the idea of any members of their ethnic minority screwing the taxpayer. I'm 100% certain that they'll immediately spring into action to protect your rights!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You could try the residential tendency board and report what happened and who did it ,
    Might be your only option .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement