Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insignia vs Passat

Options
  • 17-03-2019 8:35pm

Hey,

I am looking at buying a car and my budget is 10k. I am looking at either a 2012 Passat with 80k miles or a 2015 Opel Insignia with 80k miles. I am just looking for advice on which one to go for?

I know the Insignia has more mileage for its age but its part of a fleet vehicle which I have been told are usually well maintained.

Or would you guys have any other vehicles to recommend?

Thanks.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Opel is now the 21st century lada.. with loads of posts referring to the insignia main common engine fault which starves it of oil and we can all guess the result..of all makes and models out there .. Toyota or vw would in my opinion be at the other end of the scale ..but it also depends on how well serviced and how well driven any used vehicle has been... give a bad driver the best car out there and they could make ****e of it in a short time..
    Regardless of a higher price or even mileage theres a few good reasons why some makes of second hand cars cost a lot more that others..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, unless you like random, terminal engine failures and eye watering depreciation, it's got to be the Passat.

The fact that both cars are in the same segment but the Insignia is 3 years newer for the same price speaks volumes too.

The 2012 ish Passat wont set your world on fire, but for the most part, you know you'll be getting a predictable ownership experience and some of your 10k back out out if it if you go to sell in a few years time.

Thanks for the advice! Given me a better idea.

Thanks,

daspendy

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Could you open it up to other cars?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Could you open it up to other cars?
    Yeah, I am open to other cars. What suggestions would you have?

• Advertisement

Volvo S60
    Volvo S80
    Mondeo current model

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Volvo S60
    Volvo S80
    Mondeo current model
    I was actually looking into the S60 but couldn't find much information on it. I also do like the Ford Mondeo but there aren't many of the current models for sale for around 10k

There are a few Mondeo around but not many as you say. I’d assume the UK is full of them.

As for the S60, I reckon that’ll be my next car, my problem is I’ve gone down the wormhole of knowing what spec I want, and the ones I want are the expensive ones :)

They’re unreal value for what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Stay mile away from insignia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The previous model (Mk 4) Mondeo is well worth a look in 2.0 tdci flavour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Outside choice - Honda Accord:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2244139&r=s.php%3Fm%3D32%26o%3D278%26r%3D2012%26g%3D0

It's' a fairy base spec model but if the low mileage can be verified then it could be worth considering. They are a fairly comfortable mile muncher.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Mate of mine bought one of these recently and absolutely loves it

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20621811

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Since we are talking VAG stuff with the EA 189 - how much of an issue is the dieselgate "fix" these days.

Id still have the Mondeo Mk 4 tbh

Gonad wrote: »
    Mate of mine bought one of these recently and absolutely loves it

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20621811

That price is ex VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mondeo is the best alternative as its probably as good but has steep depreciation relative to the VW and is good value second hand as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Turbohymac wrote:
    Opel is now the 21st century lada.. with loads of posts referring to the insignia main common engine fault which starves it of oil and we can all guess the result..of all makes and models out there .. Toyota or vw would in my opinion be at the other end of the scale ..but it also depends on how well serviced and how well driven any used vehicle has been... give a bad driver the best car out there and they could make ****e of it in a short time.. Regardless of a higher price or even mileage theres a few good reasons why some makes of second hand cars cost a lot more that others..

Yeah, unless you like random, terminal engine failures and eye watering depreciation, it's got to be the Passat.

The Insignia is a very good car indeed particularly the post 2014 model with the 1.6 diesel engine. The engine problems mentioned related to the older models with the Fiat manufactured engines and even then only a very small number in the overall context. I'd certainly prefer it rather than a Passat or Avensis both of which are dull looking and dull to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

chicorytip wrote: »
    The Insignia is a very good car indeed particularly the post 2014 model with the 1.6 diesel engine. The engine problems mentioned related to the older models with the Fiat manufactured engines and even then only a very small number in the overall context. I'd certainly prefer it rather than a Passat or Avensis both of which are dull looking and dull to drive.

"Very small number" ??

Please do a bit of research before you encourage someone to blow thousands of euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

chicorytip wrote: »

Ah the Insignia is hardly the life and soul of any party compared to a Passat or an Avensis or whatever else. The Insignia as dull as ditch water too. Anyone looking for excitement probably isn't looking at diesel family saloons.

Anyway, they are still one of, if not the strongest depreciator in that size of car and have a patchy reliability history. I'd sooner have anything else from that category than an Insignia.

• Advertisement
Advertisement