Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fleabag [BBC/Amazon]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

For those who physically can't make it to see her on stage:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-04-14/how-to-watch-the-fleabag-play-online/

until 24th April 2020!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

sporina wrote: »
    have since watched the 1st 2 episodes in season 2.. the 1st one was a vast improvement on anything in season 1.. but feel ep. 2. is going to far.. the priest is OTT imo.. but will watch the rest - see how it pans out..
    but wow - the play - such scope.. quite profound - and so well structured.. wow (still shaking my head and blinking in disbelief).. won't say anymore for fear of spoiling it for anyone

Season 2 is superb. But if you don't like the priest, it'll be a tough sell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Watched the play. Excellent, some performance for nearly 80 minutes straight.

Watched the play. Excellent, some performance for nearly 80 minutes straight.
    Watched it this morning. I'm not a fan of theatre, which I tried out when I lived in London, but coz it's PWB, I had to give it a go. Though I'm not converted to theatre, it certainly solidified my admiration for her. Great performance, but the story-telling was fantastic. It was quite emotional at the end, without being ham-fisted.
    Very interesting to see the origin of the series in this way, and to see how it played out (boom).

• Advertisement

Andrew Scott will be on the Late Late if anyone in here is interested. Don't normally watch, but will definitely try catch him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Went to see the play "Live" in The Lighthouse a while back thought it was very moving

• Registered Users Posts: 22,434 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I rewatched the awkward family dinner episode last night. Think it's one of my favourite episodes of any show ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

have since watched the 1st 2 episodes in season 2.. the 1st one was a vast improvement on anything in season 1.. but feel ep. 2. is going to far.. the priest is OTT imo.. but will watch the rest - see how it pans out..
    but wow - the play - such scope.. quite profound - and so well structured.. wow (still shaking my head and blinking in disbelief).. won't say anymore for fear of spoiling it for anyone
    Season 2 is superb. But if you don't like the priest, it'll be a tough sell :D

Oh meant to get back to this sooner.. I watched the rest of series 2..

In a nutshell - series 2 was better than series 1.. I got to like the priest somewhat as the series went on.. gee what a hottie - and I liked their interaction.. the cursing annoyed me at the start but when I "got to know him" it was ok within the context..
    There are some v v funny scenes in the tv show.. 1&2.. the final show in S1 is soo funny.. the god mothers speech.. loved EP6 S1 and EP 1&4 S2.. the dialogue around the mothers funeral was soo funny.. and there was some depth in the TV show too I felt - like what the father said in EP6 S2 "i think you know how to love... " etc..

So it was more comedy for me than drama.. and I prefer drama with comedy i suppose..

Perhaps that is why I loved the play so much.. I got to know what was behind her conflicting behaviour.. the insecurity... the promiscuity - the comedy... ("slutty pizza" lol..).. thru the play I got an understanding of the timeline between her Mother's death.. the affair, the cafe and loosing Boo etc..
    She was actually in pain - and just trying to self soothe.. and lost her way.. and ended up sleeping with her best mates boyfriend.. she was still grieving her mothers death.. dealing with insecurities..

In the TV I would never of got that.. there was v little mention of Boo in the 2nd series really.. although there is plenty of evidence to show that she loved and missed her Mum..
    But it is thru the play that I can really understand why she slept with her best mate's man...
    I guess the TV series didn't have continuity for me -like EP 3 S1 was sooo boring.. and didn't like EP2&5 on S2..

So - acting superb on the TV show but OMG she was incredible on stage - with no other characters to rely on, nothing.. just some recorded voices and a stool.. the scenes she could conjure in my head.. wow.. ingenious.. incredible acting.. like the way she held the "tooth rodent" pose after he said "awesome".. man that will stick with me for a long time lol.. soo funny.. but like when I think about particular scenes, I have to work out whether they wer from the TV series or stage; her details on stage was so great.. on all characters - and with only herself..

Man I could go on...

But yeah.. wow.. she is something else.. can't wait to see what Phoebe gets up to next...

There wasn't supposed to be a second series. PWB said she came up with the idea for one but found it hard to bridge the gap between the dislike the viewers may have had for fleabag at the end of S1 when they found out what she 'did to Boo'.

I think she was trying to show the salvation of Fleabag, so it would have been hard to have too much of Boo in it. I liked the bits they had though.

There are so many small little bits in S2 that you could miss. Like the bit after she goes to see the lawyer and is waiting outside for Claire. She looks up at trees swaying in the breeze. It's a calmness we've never seen in her before. Must have been all the pine nuts :p :pac:

• Advertisement

There wasn't supposed to be a second series. PWB said she came up with the idea for one but found it hard to bridge the gap between the dislike the viewers may have had for fleabag at the end of S1 when they found out what she 'did to Boo'.

I think she was trying to show the salvation of Fleabag, so it would have been hard to have too much of Boo in it. I liked the bits they had though.

There are so many small little bits in S2 that you could miss. Like the bit after she goes to see the lawyer and is waiting outside for Claire. She looks up at trees swaying in the breeze. It's a calmness we've never seen in her before. Must have been all the pine nuts :p :pac:

exactly - the series didn't show all her dimensions.. not even in S1 - but with 80 mins of a play, it was all there.. like one min I was wft? comedy - pody image issues.. promiscuity.. etc.. but as the play unfolded - with the story of her mum, the affair and boo - boom.. you see the path she has traveled.. gee I was totally taken in by her.. you could see her pain - and to think I had been crying with laughter 20 mins pervious..

But S1 just didn't do that - nor the series in general (inc S2)... I guess it has to appeal to the masses.. big on comedy - lacked substance.. but twas still great as a TV series.. well S2 more than 1.. but seeing her on stage wowed me..

wow when I think back.. (and this was before I saw the play).. I didn't finish ep1 s1 first time around.. I just could not buy into it.. but gave it another go..

Twas the play that won me over though..

Go PWB

She had 80 mins to deliver a full performance. The episodes were 25 mins X 6. There was going to be some cushioning.

I don't think Fleabag was intended to appeal to the masses at all or was designed that way. It took until Season 2 for it to explode like it did. I don't think PWB writes that way. If that was the case she'd be lashing out another series.

I haven't seen the live show so I can't compare,but the body insecurities, the pain the torment, that all came across.

She had 80 mins to deliver a full performance. The episodes were 25 mins X 6. There was going to be some cushioning.

I don't think Fleabag was intended to appeal to the masses at all or was designed that way. It took until Season 2 for it to explode like it did. I don't think PWB writes that way. If that was the case she'd be lashing out another series.

I haven't seen the live show so I can't compare,but the body insecurities, the pain the torment, that all came across.

oh you have to see the play.. its on a whole different level.. :):):)

oh you have to see the play.. its on a whole different level.. :):):)

I looked for it when she was doing the charity thing a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't find it. Where? How?

I looked for it when she was doing the charity thing a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't find it. Where? How?

https://www.sohotheatreondemand.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Bredabe

She said on GN that they were extending the run for a charity related to the CV crisis.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Can Season 2 be watched anywhere?

Season 1 is on Amazon Prime but Season 2 there says ‘video not available’. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Marz66 wrote: »
    Can Season 2 be watched anywhere?

Season 1 is on Amazon Prime but Season 2 there says ‘video not available’. :(

Get a VPN, watch on BBC iPlayer. Worth it for so many other shows too!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭dermo2014

Does the Hola add on for Chrome still work, I used it in the past, might be an option for the occasional use of bbc iplayer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

For those who haven't seen it - like myself until recently - both seasons are available on Amazon Prime (least in Ireland anyway).

I thought the first season was great. Fleabag grated initially but the way they handled, particularly when she went to the retreat, really showed how well planned it was.
    But as much as I liked the first season, the second is excellent. Perfectly written pretty much, great performances, and just the right length.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    For those who haven't seen it - like myself until recently - both seasons are available on Amazon Prime (least in Ireland anyway).

I thought the first season was great. Fleabag grated initially but the way they handled, particularly when she went to the retreat, really showed how well planned it was.
    But as much as I liked the first season, the second is excellent. Perfectly written pretty much, great performances, and just the right length.

I will never forget the episode with the family dinner and the priest - think its ep 1 season 2... absolute class

• Registered Users Posts: 85,003 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

brian_t wrote: »
    Fleabag series 1 starts on RTE Two on Monday 1st February at 9pm

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

is that 2021? where did you get the quote from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭brian_t

is that 2021? where did you get the quote from?

Yes it's 2021 - next Monday week.

If you click on the 'Angle Bracket' symbol in the quote it will bring you to the original quote.

brian_t wrote: »
    Yes it's 2021 - next Monday week.

If you click on the 'Angle Bracket' symbol in the quote it will bring you to the original quote.

cool - thanks was just curious.. never heard of the angle bracket - how do you do that? could come in handy

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Blazed through both series of this on Prime recently, so watchable and so brilliant.

"To be fair, she's not an evil stepmother. She's just a cunt"

:D

Its also on RTE on Monday nights if you need a little pick me up? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Sorry for thread bump but we are bingeing through this at the moment.

Season 2 episode 2- the scene where she meets the lawyer had me struggling to breathe I was laughing so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,284 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Amazon To Stream National Theatre Shows Including Fleabag
    Amazon has partnered with the National Theatre to stream four of its highest-profile recorded stage shows in the UK and Ireland.

Launching on June 11, the shows will include Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s Fleabag, which she performed at Wyndham’s Theatre in the West End,

https://deadline.com/2021/05/amazon-to-stream-national-theatre-shows-fleabag-benedict-cumberbatch-frankenstein-1234763611/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I'd urge people to see this, I went to the Lighthouse to watch a live stream of PWB doing Fleabag, it's amazing. Breathtaking.

Advertisement