Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train from Wexford town to Dublin city

Options
  • 04-03-2019 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Anyone used to getting the train from Wexford town to Dublin city? I usually get the bus (Wexford Bus) by my friend and his wife would prefer getting the train to Dublin City.

Anyone know how long the train takes to get to Dublin and what locations in Dublin are available? Also how much would a return ticket from Wexford Town cost to Dublin?

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

You can check on Irishrail.is
    I think its over two hours journey.
    But not 100 percent on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Timetable is here:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/08_dublin-rosslare.pdf

Inbound trains stop at Bray, Dun Laoghaire, Pearse Street, Tara Street, and Connolly. The train that leaves Wexford at 5.57 a.m. also stops at Lansdowne Road and Grand Canal Dock.

I get the train sometimes from Gorey myself and it's about €24 for a day return. Probably somewhere around €30 from Wexford then. You can get prices on the Irish Rail site as well anyway.

bigroad wrote: »
    I think its over two hours journey.

Closer to three! :eek:

Even Gorey to Connolly is two hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I'm a regular train user you be looking at 2 hours 30 mins up to 2 hours 40 minutes ish time wise. Your better getting of at Pearse or Tara in the City as some times you can be waiting between Tara and Connolly for the platform to be free.

Return ticket is €9.99 if you book a few days in advance online

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I'm a regular train user you be looking at 2 hours 30 mins up to 2 hours 40 minutes ish time wise. Your better getting of at Pearse or Tara in the City as some times you can be waiting between Tara and Connolly for the platform to be free.

Return ticket is €9.99 if you book a few days in advance online

Is that all?

To be fair that is very good value! Ive never travelled this route before but Ive heard that its quite scenic. Must plan a day trip :)

• Advertisement

Have to say I've never seen that fare. I use the train from Gorey to Dublin return once or twice per month, and generally book online a few days in advance too.

Have just done a search on irishrail.ie for Wexford - Dublin return for a few random dates in the coming weeks. Price that shows up is €15.99 each way on all the dates I've tried.

If there's a secret to getting a €9.99 return fare, then I'm all ears......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The €4.99 is there I've just booked my Wexford to Pearse for next few trips and Its now €5.99 to Connolly. Save a Euro walk for a few minutes.

Duffryman I'm not sure what way your searching but the €4.99 prices are there no secret at all

Bizarre what I've just seen.

As I said above, I travel from Gorey. Three types of fare are displayed when you search for a certain date - low, semi-flexible, and flexible. The prices are always the same for trips from Gorey, so I always just buy the one that says flexible. For example, for Thursday March 14 (when I'm next heading to Dublin), it right now says €11.69 each way for all three types of fare.

So, when the three fares display online, I'm used to looking at the right-hand one only, since that's what I always use from Gorey. And for a return trip from Wexford on Thursday March 14, the fare shown there is €15.99 each way. This is what I was referring to earlier.

I was overlooking that low fare option on the left hand side. And yup, it's just €5.99 each way from Wexford to Connolly on that date, when it's €11.69 each way from Gorey. That makes no sense.

Obviously, anybody travelling from Gorey would be better off just buying a ticket from Wexford.

My trips are work-related and I get the fare back in expenses anyway, so not actually a huge issue for me....but worth knowing for anybody else!

Even more bizarre is that Wexford to Lansdowne Road (where I actually get off) shows up as €13.99 low fare for the way up that day, and sold out/unavailable for the way back done.

But Wexford to Pearse Street shows up as €4.99 each way, with availability both going up and down.

This makes no sense whatsoever........

Sorry to be hogging this thread, but here's another strange one, working in the opposite direction....

I've a young lad (aged 5) who hasn't been on a train yet and who asked me recently if we could go on a train trip sometime. Thought I might bring to Rosslare Strand sometime when the weather picks up.

If I wanted to do that on Saturday March 23, it would cost €9.49 each way from Gorey for an adult. But the low fare from Pearse Street on that day is only €4.99 each way.

So, less than half the cost to travel from Dublin to Rosslare, than from Gorey to Rosslare.

Again, this makes no sense....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Duffryman wrote: »
    Sorry to be hogging this thread, but here's another strange one, working in the opposite direction....

I've a young lad (aged 5) who hasn't been on a train yet and who asked me recently if we could go on a train trip sometime. Thought I might bring to Rosslare Strand sometime when the weather picks up.

If I wanted to do that on Saturday March 23, it would cost €9.49 each way from Gorey for an adult. But the low fare from Pearse Street on that day is only €4.99 each way.

So, less than half the cost to travel from Dublin to Rosslare, than from Gorey to Rosslare.

Again, this makes no sense....

You must be new here - CIE/Irish Rail hasn't made any sense for decades. They love having special offers that nobody knows about. Rediscover the Joy of the Train. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

The €4.99/ 5.99 single fare is a promotional fare that has been around a year or so and is only available from Wexford town or the Rosslare stations through to the city centre stations (Pearse/Tara St./Connolly) or vice versa. I believe the reason it only applies to these stations is to generate extra usage of the line at the Wexford and Rosslare end (some time ago there was talk of closing the line south of Gorey).

The train takes longer but most of them have a catering trolley and power sockets enabling one to work. Plus it is generally punctual something that can't be always be guaranteed on the buses what with the drudgery of frequent peak-time traffic congestion at Glen of the Downs onwards on the N11.

Duffryman that's a good idea for a youngster's first train journey. The station in Rosslare Strand is just a 5 minute walk to the beach.

Geog1234 wrote: »
    Duffryman that's a good idea for a youngster's first train journey. The station in Rosslare Strand is just a 5 minute walk to the beach.

Yeah, that's the idea - beach and ice cream before heading home again. But I think I'll be buying a return ticket from Pearse Street, not from Gorey, if you know what I mean.... :D

Advertisement