Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Canal Greenway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

checky88 wrote: »
    Yeah just passed it at coolmine and the path is blocked with a sign saying closed for investigative work

Can't wait for them to make progress on this route. So hopefully that's a positive sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭raheny red

beauf wrote: »
    I've tried finding the lesser known trails to get the kids out more interesting places on the bikes. They all have people on them in places I've never met anyone before. So I've stopped trying.
    Neighbours have reported the same.

Somewhere like Catherine's park would have more space for social distancing. But it is (was) closed to cars.

Head up to Abbotstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Hurrache wrote: »
    You're right, the greenway from Ashtown to past Broombridge heading towards the city has been awful since the schools closed, I stopped using it as a result until the full lock down came along.

Just about OK when walking if you avoid the busier periods but best avoided on a bike.
    Can't wait for them to make progress on this route. So hopefully that's a positive sign.

The last round of consultations was based on switching over to the north bank on a new bridge shortly after Castleknock station. Hopefully they are not now thinking of staying on the south bank through the Deep Sinking as it can never be up to Greenway standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Just about OK when walking if you avoid the busier periods but best avoided on a bike.

The mornings got noticeably busier with much more than usual walking or running and like you said, that was ok. But the evening commute was just hectic around there, avoid alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

The mornings got noticeably busier with much more than usual walking or running and like you said, that was ok. But the evening commute was just hectic around there, avoid alright.

It's always much busier with pedestrians than bikes. It always has been.

• Advertisement

That's not my point. My point is that it was just a lot more busier than normal .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

They did the same last year or late 2018 between Maynooth and Carton. They mapped drains and surveyed it but that was it they actually made the path worse when they left it.

raheny red wrote: »
    Head up to Abbotstown.

That's a decent stretch for me. The Park is closer.

But whats in Abbotstown? I mean I've been there in the various facilities. But what are you referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

As someone who's moving to the Brompton/Delwood area, I hope the greenway goes ahead on the northside with a couple of extra access points. It'd be so much easier to access the canal than having to go via either of the train stations.

That's a decent stretch for me. The Park is closer.

But whats in Abbotstown? I mean I've been there in the various facilities. But what are you referring to.

There's a new (well I think it's new) 2 km trail. The kids may be kept entertained for an hour or so. :-) and more importantly anytime I've gone it's dead.

• Advertisement

Its a much longer route to town than just going through the park. Locally though it would be great.

There's a new (well I think it's new) 2 km trail. The kids may be kept entertained for an hour or so. :-)

Ooh really. Any links?

Ooh really. Any links?

None I'm afraid. I just came across it by chance when looking for a new walk. Yiz will have the place to yourselves pretty much. Not many using it.

The canal on Saturday at about 3ish was very busy. Wasn't helped with a certain group having their horses with them....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Head up to Abbotstown.

Ssssh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

As someone who's moving to the Brompton/Delwood area, I hope the greenway goes ahead on the northside with a couple of extra access points. It'd be so much easier to access the canal than having to go via either of the train stations.

Your future neighbours do not share your perspective :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Ooh really. Any links?
    The National Sports Campus site has no useful info.

I think that the cross country track is between the hospice and M50, below Sport Ireland office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Your future neighbours do not share your perspective :)

Some people just fear change. Where I currently live the canal is about 30 seconds from my front door and it's a tremendous resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭donaghs

There's a new (well I think it's new) 2 km trail. The kids may be kept entertained for an hour or so. :-) and more importantly anytime I've gone it's dead.

Is it open to the public? You think they’d want to keep people off the cross country course anyway. I’ve heard of people having a look at the old abbotstown house and graveyard etc. Didn’t think it was officially open to wander around.

Back to the original post, had a canal wander from Castleknock station past coolmine a while back. The wildness of it is beautiful. Something will be lost with a wide tarmac surface, even if other gain something.

donaghs wrote: »
    Back to the original post, had a canal wander from Castleknock station past coolmine a while back. The wildness of it is beautiful. Something will be lost with a wide tarmac surface, even if other gain something.

AFAIK the existing rough path through the Deep Sinking will be retained for walkers if the main Greenway route goes ahead on the opposite bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

Some people just fear change. Where I currently live the canal is about 30 seconds from my front door and it's a tremendous resource.

I know during the first public consultation there was hundreds of residents turning up at FCC airing their grievances about the dangers of this walkway. It is already a place for anti social behaviour and underage drinking. They shouldnt be making it easier to access unless these access points in Delwood came with coded gates that only the residents could use.

Personally I think it will be great but there needs to be proper lighting and security cameras all over the place to keep it safe and a place that locals can enjoy.

• Advertisement

If it's already a place for anti social and underage drinking, it's hardly going to make it a place for anti social and underage drinking. I'd imagine, being a teenager once, that the current attractiveness of the spot is the fact it's out of the way and not so readily accessible.

Why should I contribute towards the costs of electronic gates that will exclude me from using, and accessing, a public amenity?

If it's already a place for anti social and underage drinking, it's hardly going to make it a place for anti social and underage drinking. I'd imagine, being a teenager once, that the current attractiveness of the spot is the fact it's out of the way and not so readily accessible.

Why should I contribute towards the costs of electronic gates that will exclude me from using, and accessing, a public amenity?

Otherwise it won't happen?

Not buying their blackmail.

...and I expect they won't buy yours.

Seriously beauf, what blackmail of mine?

That they have pay the price of any problems.

Please let's not revive the old Delwood vs the Greenway discussion again. There are pages and pages of it just back a bit in this thread if you really want to go there. Sometime later this year Fingal County Council are going to be coming back with proposals for a route that will either be on the south or the north side of the canal. Could we wait until then before renewing hostilities?

Solution is to buy a mountain bike.

Make your own greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I got all excited, though they were starting construction work. It's just more consultation.

Advertisement